Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag inflation over winter?

In another thread about winterization, Peter Aawen mentioned inflating his tires to the sidewall maximum for winter storage. I'm wondering if something similar should be done with the rear suspension air bladder on the RT, since I don't want it to deflate completely and possibly get pinched or cracked. Any illumination for me?
    Last edited by ButterSmooth; 12-13-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: title got changed
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I usually up the tire pressures to about 30 psi for winter storage; but an easier fix for them and the air bag is just raise the Spydee up on a 7" tall wooden block to take the weight off tires and airbag. The block centerpoint should be about 7" from the rear pt of the box frame. Check air pressures in the spring and ready to go..

WinterMotoBlock.jpgJust remember to take it out before any mid-winter warm day rides :0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 12-14-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: turn pic
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    No, not me; The rear suspension air spring. In another thread about winterization, Peter Aawen mentioned inflating his tires to the sidewall maximum for winter storage. I'm wondering if something similar should be done with the rear suspension air bladder on the RT, since I don't want it to deflate completely and possibly get pinched or cracked. Any illumination for me?
    Yes Peter and I do inflate the tires .... imho doing it to the air bag isn't necessary ..... the Air Bag is really just supplemental to the coil over shock .... if no other weight is added adding air is not needed ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

On my base RT if I let the air out of the shock (which has happened because of the fiddly valve), my suspension collapses to near full travel. When I fill it up, the rear rises to full height, so in some ways it is a primary spring. After thinking about it for a while, I think storage will be on my ATV/motorcycle lift to unload the suspension and tires. Do you see any issue with doing that? It won't slow me down much if we hit a 'rideable' day...
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Ideally, your suspension (air bag included) should be 'stored' in a 'no load' condition, but that applies BOTH WAYS!! So letting your wheels hang with the suspension fully extended by their weight plus any other unsprung weight componentry hanging off it is (almost) just as bad as leaving it fully loaded!!

AeroPilot's 7" block is a good way of minimising the potential for problems either way; hopefully the load is reduced on the suspension to some degree without it hanging fully off it's stops/topping out - but the reality is, your SUSPENSION will pretty much look after itself in it's normal 'static load' condition!! It's not compressing the springs or shocks too much; it's not sitting on the load limits & compressing the bump stops either loaded OR unloaded; and you really only need to consider weight on the tires' contact patch stressing the sidewalls - so inflating them closer to their max pressure without loading them up beyond that achieves that aim, especially if you roll the vehicle around a bit every now & then so you vary where the standing load is being applied!

So don't worry about it too much - you really only need to add some air to the tires & you can be happy with that! Apart from increasing the pressure in your tires, cover your vehicle with a soft breathable cover; add rodent protection of your choice; run some fuel stabiliser added before your last run for the season to mix it thru the entire injection/fuel system; & connect up a battery tender or at least give the battery a top up charge every month or so; and you're pretty much done for the ESSENTIALS!! Worrying about needing anything much else is just needlessly worrying!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-13-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    On my base RT if I let the air out of the shock (which has happened because of the fiddly valve), my suspension collapses to near full travel. When I fill it up, the rear rises to full height, so in some ways it is a primary spring. After thinking about it for a while, I think storage will be on my ATV/motorcycle lift to unload the suspension and tires. Do you see any issue with doing that? It won't slow me down much if we hit a 'rideable' day...
    Peter said Exactly what will work ..... He types waaaaaaaaaay better than me, but we're on the same page. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Peter said Exactly what will work ..... He types waaaaaaaaaay better than me, but we're on the same page. ..... Mike
    And way longer, too

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    And way longer, too
    Oh come on!! THAT was the SHORT answer!!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!