Thread: No ride today

Spyder Garage

Default No ride today

Doesn't look like there's a ride in my immediate future......

20201211_100530.jpg,20201211_085513.jpg,20201211_085518.jpg,20201211_100525.jpg

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

20201211_100530.jpg,20201211_085513.jpg,20201211_085518.jpg,20201211_100525.jpg

Awe, come-on G!!?? Are you turning into a big sissy?? Hell' I don't even ride when there's clouds in the air LOL

Spyder Garage

Don't want to get out there and cut a few donuts
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Man, that sucks - I'm in NJ and every year I tell myself "just make it thru January" - the longest and coldest month!! Oh, to live in a state when you can ryde year round!!! Rode into work today - 25 degrees. Now if the F3 Limited's grips worked as they should, the tips of my fingers would have been toasty-warm and all would have been perfect!!

Spyder Garage

Go on, Greg, be adventurous, give it a go!!

You might be surprised at how much fun you can have in conditions like that! I know I was the first time I went looking for & found a bit of light snow to ryde in; it has been at least as much fun every time since too - and that is on my RT with its far more restrictive Nanny! And here in Oz, you gotta remember that finding snow like that can be SERIOUSLY DIFFICULT!! Especially since I live about 1000 miles away from our snowfields, so it's not something I get to do all that often!! But then, I have been known to make the trip just because the snow conditions sounded great!

In all seriousness, you should at least try your Ryker out while the snow is light; maybe find yourself something like an empty supermarket parking lot, and have a bit of a play. I think your Ryker could be surprisingly able and heaps of fun in light snow like that, altho maybe not so much once it gets too much deeper.... Altho of course, you'll need to keep warm & hydrated (but I don't recommend any 'alcohol lubrication &/or libations' - at least, not until AFTERWARDS anyway! ) Your Ryker with it's relaxed nanny & rear wheel traction control plus the CVT should make for some serious 'not busy road' type fun, especially if you've got a bit of room to play in without running into anything - and with that sorta snow cover, you shouldn't need to worry too much about suddenly finding traction & causing yourself some embarrassing difficulties. I find it best to start out slow & work into it on the snow, without getting too carried away chasing speed!

Go On, TRY IT!! You Know you WANT to!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    Awe, come-on G!!?? Are you turning into a big sissy?? Hell' I don't even ride when there's clouds in the air LOL
    I'm wussing out, waiting for my heated gloves to get here......
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Just took a peek outside, roads are now bare and wet. Typical for around here, unless we really get dumped or or the temp drops down to single digits that will keep the snow/ice frozen forever...
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Just took a peek outside, roads are now bare and wet. Typical for around here, unless we really get dumped or or the temp drops down to single digits that will keep the snow/ice frozen forever...
    DAMMIT!! Now lookit that!! . You've missed an opportunity to snow-ryde.... and everyone should know that anything you miss out on is one you're never gonna get back again!

Oh well.... next time maybe??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Be interesting to test traction in the snow.
    May be OK on the level, but difficult accelerating on any grade.
    This summer, I stopped at a bakery on Utah highway 12, close to highway 89 junction, coming back from Bryce Canyon.
    The parking lot was smooth riverbed type stones.
    The incline to the paved highway was moderate, but I could not go up from a start...had to go at an angle, even in ECO mode.
    Not had problems on a gravel shoulder, previously, but the smooth stones were an issue.

As for the cold, I put 4,000 miles on a new bike in a New Jersey winter (McGuire AFB) in 3 months, circa 1967, but I was also 53 years younger!
    The base gym had both a sauna and steam room for a post ride warm-up!!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Its not my Ryker, but for you guys that are snowed in. I took this Florida Fall/Winter photo a few of days ago of my Kawasaki while I was out and about scouting out a bass pond, I thought it showed the Florida fall colors well, it was 75 degrees.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

. . . a dusting

ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Be interesting to test traction in the snow.
    May be OK on the level, but difficult accelerating on any grade.
    Certainly would!!

That said, I've ridden some quite steep hills on my RT with an inch or more of snow on the road (& on hills covered with snow & slush & ice too!! ) and there's even some youtube vids out there that others have taken of Spyder Ryders doing just that... so given the fact that generally, our Spyder Nanny's are LESS tolerant of that sort of stuff than the Nanny's installed on Rykers, I reckon a Ryker, especially a Ryker Rally, should be somewhat MORE capable in the snow than a Spyder - and a Spyder can be a right blast, even on hills!!

Sure, there are some conditions where neither machines would work well or safely (patchy black ice of any sort, but especially with a light dusting of snow cover comes immediately to mind ) but until the cold temps really set in, you should be able to fairly comfortably enjoy the heck outta ryding in light snow! I probably wouldn't recommend anyone goes too far from home or at least a 'refuge' of some sort tho; and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone set out long distance &/or cross country touring in the middle of winter/when substantial snow is likely; but hey, this time of year (for you lot anyway ) before the ground's really got cold enough to keep a substantial snow cover on it for too long & to rapidly re-freeze any snow melt that might occur, then if you've got an appropriate area to ryde on, Ryker Ryding in the snow should have a fair degree of exhilaration for little real risk!

So I'd like to see someone try it on a Ryker - especially since I haven't yet been able to manage to convince anyone (dealer or owner) to lend/rent me a Ryker to do some testing of my own in the snow! That could have something to do with the 'over 1000 mile ride' each way to do said testing, but hey, I've can get access to an airstrip that'd be ideal, so why not?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Put the ski's back on the front and away you go .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Caution Ahead!....SALT!! Anyway in my neck of the woods. Just thinking about those rusty axles I've seen on YouTube.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Salt

When the Salt goes down, I stop my Spyder Ryde Times. Just not worth the Rust and other damage......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue