Spyder Garage

Default Where did you put your Pedal Commander on your 2020 RT?

Since it is not waterproof, I didn't want to mount it to my handlebars or anywhere subject to water and with the app I really didn't need access to it to change modes so I put mine up by the brake reservoir and secured it with a bunch of zip ties.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but hopefully this weekend will provide some free time for a short ride.

IMG_20201210_1407253.jpg IMG_20201210_1407322.jpg

Spyder Garage

I mounted mine on the right side of the handlebars with a Ram mount. I carry ziplock bags to cover it and my radar detector if it rains. Phone app not very useful with gloves on.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

After removing some posts from public view.... C'mon everybody, play nice please!

If you have issues with anyone else's post, simply report it by clicking on the little exclamation mark in a triangle down in the bottom left of the post! That way, their post will be reviewed by the Mod/Admin Team and any necessary action will be taken.... but if you start commenting or calling them out for their posts, then YOU are quite likely breaking the Forum rules by doing so and could well end up copping a penalty for that! Similarly, encouraging others to do so, or furthering the breach in any way by continuing that sort of posting behaviour could also earn you a penalty; and if anyone scores too many of those, it could mean they get some enforced 'posting time off' from the Forum.

So, if you don't like a post, or you think someone's having a go at you, then DO NOT take it up yourself & have a go at them; report their post instead! The Forum Rules are accessible for all to read via clicking on the Green link labelled 'Forum Rules' in the menu bar at the top of each page just above the Sponsor's advertising headers. Well worth a read.

Now, back on topic if you will...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-11-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: After removing ....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Since it is not waterproof, I didn't want to mount it to my handlebars or anywhere subject to water and with the app I really didn't need access to it to change modes so I put mine up by the brake reservoir and secured it with a bunch of zip ties.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but hopefully this weekend will provide some free time for a short ride.

IMG_20201210_1407253.jpg IMG_20201210_1407322.jpg
    Very interested to hear your report after you've had a chance to ride!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

OK Everyone
    What the heck is a pedal commander, and hy would i want/need one? coming fron a rookie
    Thanks guys
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    OK Everyone
    What the heck is a pedal commander, and hy would i want/need one? coming fron a rookie
    Thanks guys
    Pedal Commander is a plug-in device that lets you increase the throttle response per degree of rotation of wrist. No extra power but quicker access to what you have. Grab a sandwich and do a search for pedal commander. Opinions of users are positive, yet there are nay-sayers.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

I mounted mine under my right speaker uncover on my 16' RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why anybody would make a motorcycle accessory that's not at least water RESISTANT is beyond me but whatever. Anyway, to my point. I understand tucking the power commander up under a speaker cover or under the tupperware, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those places get wet, too? Wouldn't it make more sense to route the wires to the frunk and mount it there? I ask because I've considered buying one and the "not water proof" thing has been one of my sticking points. My phone is waterproof and works with most of my gloves so that's not an issue. Any reason why it couldn't be routed and mounted in the frunk?

Spyder Garage

The unit may not be waterPROOF but it's fairly well sealed from incidental wetting. If mounting under speaker grille is a concern, you can cover with clingwrap or a ziplock bag and rubber band. If you set & forget - no problem. I found that there are times while riding that I want to switch to less or more sensitivity and since my phone isn't pressure touch capable with my gloves, I needed to mount on bars to reach the PC buttons. If it rains the ziplock is ready.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to see how water RESISTANT it really is. I have a small problem remote mounting this as I'm not sure I'd want to wrap it in plastic bag and rubber bands then put it somewhere I can't keep an eye on it. I can see the rubber bands breaking or plastic bag tearing/melting and me not knowing about it. I'd prefer to remote mount it in the frunk but I'd have to drill a pretty big hole and I'm not planning on doing that. I don't have a problem mounting it on the handlebars but honestly, I'm running out of real estate. I have my phone and a bottle holder on the left bar and a GPS in the middle of the bars.

Moving along....if I bought one and wanted to mount it to the right side of the handlebars, I'd need something other than the mount Slingmods sells (I have Helibars). I'd buy another top cuff from Lamont and mount it that way. Not sure what I'd attach the RAM arm to (to attach the unit to). Any thoughts on that?

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

I used 3m super strong 2-sided tape to mount a Ram ball to the dashboard and put the PC there. I also have an XM radio on the other side mounted the same.
    No interference with the bars.
    PXL_20201225_163526094.jpg
    PXL_20201225_163514276.jpg

Spyder Garage

I mounted it on my 2020 RT-L to the left of where it plugs in (by the brake fluid) and can't imagine a reason why I need physical access or want to clutter up my dash when it so easily works through an app on my phone (unless you like having a lot of stuff on your dash). It really doesn't take much to secure it, since it is light and already corded on both sides.

On another note, you don't want to change it while you are using your throttle, anyway, since that can put your Spyder in limp mode (until you restart it).
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    On another note, you don't want to change it while you are using your throttle, anyway, since that can put your Spyder in limp mode (until you restart it).
    It can't be changed while the bike is running? Or it can't be changed while you're hard on the throttle? If it doesn't have power with the bike off, how would you change the settings? I'd hate to think I'd have to shut the bike down just to change modes or any of those -4 through + 4 settings.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    It can't be changed while the bike is running? Or it can't be changed while you're hard on the throttle? If it doesn't have power with the bike off, how would you change the settings? I'd hate to think I'd have to shut the bike down just to change modes or any of those -4 through + 4 settings.
    It probably shouldn't be changed while you are on/using your throttle. The bike can certainly be running, otherwise, I don't think there is power to the unit at all.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

I normally ride in City mode & release throttle for a sec to switch to Sport +2 as I approach areas where I want the snap. My phone is usually in my pocket so access to the block was necessary. Never went limp in 2000 mi, works instantly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I normally ride in City mode & release throttle for a sec to switch to Sport +2 as I approach areas where I want the snap. My phone is usually in my pocket so access to the block was necessary.
    My phone is the only thing I mount on my bike, so that makes sense for the way you ride. Now I can "imagine" a reason to mount it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    My phone is the only thing I mount on my bike, so that makes sense for the way you ride. Now I can "imagine" a reason to mount it.
    What gloves or touch pad are you using to operate the phone?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just realized today that Slingmods didn't give me my $50 discount (FAST50). Emailed them hoping they'll refund me (or give me a $50 store credit).

I'll mount mine on the bars. I want easy access. I've only got a couple pair of gloves that are touch sensitive so I want to use the actual module. Since I have a 2020+ and Helibars, I purchased another top cuff from Lamonster. I think I'm going to try to return my GPS (can't get the music to work right) so I'll mount the phone inbetween the bars and the Pedal Commander up next to the throttle. I'm hoping the City mode is a little faster than OEM. Not sure I'll ever use Sport +2 mode (except to try it out ) but I can see being in Sport mode quite a bit.

RayBJ---Thanks for the post letting me/us know you can change modes whilst on the move. I just don't want to stop to change modes. Usually, once I start, I don't stop unless I need gas. One of my frequent spring/summer/fall rides starts out with 20 miles of boring 4 lane so I don't need (or maybe even want) one of the Sport modes. I quickly transition to the BRP where Sport (or Sport +2) mode is what I'll be looking for. Probably won't get much use out of the higher modes until spring. Most of the really "good" roads (i.e. curve after curve) are at higher elevations. They get snow (they got 4-5" last night, I got a dusting) most of the winter.

Spyder Garage

Any issues with where you mounted your PD?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HENRYHILL View Post
    Any issues with where you mounted your PD?
    If you mean the PC (Pedal Commander), mine is exposed to weather with no issues. I've been in light rain a couple times but no 'frog chokers' and I didn't cover with plastic. I mounted mine in a fairly dry area in front of the speaker grille. If the sky was to open up I have the ziplocks to cover the PC & Radar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I used 3m super strong 2-sided tape to mount a Ram ball to the dashboard and put the PC there. I also have an XM radio on the other side mounted the same.
    No interference with the bars.
    PXL_20201225_163526094.jpg
    PXL_20201225_163514276.jpg

Dang, you have a ton of stuff mounted in your cockpit! I'd probably end up in the weeds trying to keep track of all that. But then, I'm easily distracted by "shiny objects"
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)