Thread: Moving the GPS

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Moving the GPS

I was increasingly growing frustrated with the GPS mount on the handlebars on my '15 RTL. It required taking my eyes off the road and when wearing my hi-viz yellow jacket, was difficult to see! Using JT's dash mount, I moved the GPS up to the top of the dash which made seeing it a LOT better, but I still had the reflection from my jacket to contend with. Also, the GPS seemed to bounce around some with every irregularity in the road surface. I tried moving the unit as close to the dash as possible, but the vibration continued. Finally, i decided to try some Velcro, it pretty much eliminated the vibration! I'm posting pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Great idea.
    This may be a solution for moving the GPS on my ST.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    .... Finally, i decided to try some Velcro, it pretty much eliminated the vibration! I'm posting pictures...
    So please, let me get this clear (the pics aren't quite enough to clarify ) is that velcro just under the front/bottom edge of the GPS Bracket, while the main weight of the 'GPS bracket' is still being supported on JT's dash mount??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    but I still had the reflection from my jacket to contend with.
    You can reduce that significantly by putting an anti-glare screen protector on the Garmin display. I did that for the cluster display. Helps a lot.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    So please, let me get this clear (the pics aren't quite enough to clarify ) is that velcro just under the front/bottom edge of the GPS Bracket, while the main weight of the 'GPS bracket' is still being supported on JT's dash mount??
    Not my current set up but that's what I did when I tried out a non-working 660 on my '18. I used one of JTs mounts and added a single piece of velcro under just the front/leading edge. Kept things VERY secure. Zero vibrations.

HAGO!

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You are correct, the velcro is under the GPS bracket. I believe that at least some of the weight is borne by the velcro attachment to the dash. The second picture shows the attachment point.

John
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black