Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Advice

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Advice

Hello everyone.

I'll be looking to purchase my 1st Spyder soon. I have very little experience when it comes to helmets. I have a general idea of what I think I want but that's all.

I think I want a modular helmet that is Bluetooth capable, that way I can communicate with whom ever might be riding with me if need be plus listening to the radio, gps and such. Now other than this I am completely lost. I did a search on here but the threads that came up were old and with the way things evolve quickly I thought I'd get some suggestions from this forum.

I won't have a ton of money to spend so I need something that will do what I want without spending a ton of money. Remember I'm just starting out and I know how over time everyone always upgrades to better things. I'm just not wanting to throw away money up front by buying junk. I know that the helmet must be DOT approved also.

Any suggestions, ideas or advice? Any to stay away from? What would I need as far as Bluetooth goes also?

Thanks
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

A good place to start would be https://www.webbikeworld.com They have reviewed a bunch of helmets and also have a guide to head shape. Cheap doesn't always mean low quality but it does equate to how much noise they produce in the wind. If you plan to wear earplugs, then it isn't much of an issue. Wind noise plays a big role in rider fatigue. Quieter allows you to ride longer without being worn out at the end of the ride. I am a Schubert helmet guy but started out with a Gmax full face on the webbikeworld recommendation. It was a great full face helmet with plenty of air flow but a bit noisy and not a modular. My next helmet may be a Shoei Neo Tech II.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

I have a Full Face Helmet that I enjoy very much. For me the only way to go would be with a 'Full Face Helmet'. Try the different styles and see which one you like the best. Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Very hot (subjective) topic on this forum so I’ll stay generic in my recommendation. I normally use a full face for two wheel riding but when I purchased the Spyder I found my field of view when in reverse gear was very restrictive so I pivoted to a modular- problem solved. Plenty of options in style, in type: half, 3/4, modular and full. Weight plays a factor after about 2 hours so that is high on my “things to consider” list. Great time to buy- plenty of sales. Best place I found to try a large variety and brands of helmets is Cycle Gear. Hope this helps.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check with Motorcycle Dave.

He is selling the Sena modular helmet with the bluetooth comunicator build in from the factory and the price is about what just the comuniator would normaly cost. It is quite a nice modular helmet also.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks guy's. I knew going into this that everyone has their own opinion which can vary greatly from rider to rider.

I'll check out webbikeworld.com for sure.

Are the modular helmets not as quiet as the full face helmets? I was thinking they would be basically the same but have no experience with either.

I have been looking on the cycle gear website but unfortunately the closest one that's open is about 100 miles away. I live in a very rural area. When I travel down next to Atlanta for the BRP driving class next week I'll have a chance to check some out as they have a store in Lawrenceville Ga.

Spyder Garage

I said this on another thread so I’m sorry for repeating myself. I use a three-piece convertible helmet with drop down eye protection. It basically converts from a full face to a half helmet by easily removing sections of the helmet. Works great in all weather. I picked it up at my local Harley shop when I was still riding Harleys a year ago and find it works very well on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Both My wife and I use a modular helmet. Too Many advantages to list. Mine is an LS 2 .

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Many modulars to choose from. Your head shape will be your 1st criteria to deal with. You'll need to try different lids to find the model that fits (round, semi-round, narrow) so on-line is not a good idea unless you can try one at a dealer 1st then buy online. HJC, Nolan, Scorpian, Klim, Neotec are all good options but each will fit differently. The wrong fit will be annoying at best and dangerous in a fall. Hot spots where the lid is too tight will cause pain after an hour + of wearing.

Intercom can be added to any of the modulars. Avoid all-in-one like the Sena lid IMHO. Stand-alone units can be moved to next lid when you upgrade. Cardo & Sena are the go-to intercoms lately.

Noise levels in upscale modulars can be better than many full-face lids. Padding & chin curtains matter. My Klim & HJC Rpha Max are quieter than most full-face. You would be prudent to wear earplugs regardless of your choice to preserve what hearing you still have.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

@RayBJ

I agree with the try before you buy suggestion. I only wish there was someone close to me that carried helmets so I could. I don't intend on purchasing one I don't like if I can help it, even if that means I'll have to wait a bit.

There's just so many to look at....lol

Spyder Garage

@Lew L

LS2 has some nice looking helmets

Spyder Garage

All motorcycle dealers sell helmets but with limited brands. Stop by a couple in your area for fitting. That's how I found my 1st correctly fitting lid before buying from Zilla online many years ago.

Motorcyclegear.com sells a 'Lid Picker' tool to measure your head size/shape. I believe you get credit back if you buy lid from them. http://www.lidpicker.com/measure-kit...for-one-person
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I like those that are referred to as modular. I have exclusively used Nolans (100's and 40-44's) the last 10 years or so. I have six on the shelf. 4 have the inner sun shade and one set has the n-comm communicators built in. I like the drop down visor, but do NOT like the built in n-comm system. Low range, and lots of noise compared to the SENA set up.

Our current helmets (in use the most) are Bell Magnum 9/Sena. They have built in SENA bluetooth. Longer range (about 3-4 blocks--straight line) and no noise in the communicators.
    They have the drop down innner sun shade, a non removable visor, and a pull down face plate.

When we purchased, they were about $300 each. In use for over a year, and we are happy with them. When I am not communicating, I still wear the latest Nolan because I like the visor better.

I wont get into a safety discussion, or a price discussion...there are standard answers that pop up, and I know this is not what you were asking. There are better helmets out there, but I am happy with our choices. Riding since 1960's and owned to many bikes to remember the number. I can say I have been there and done that though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-08-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you have a Cycle Gear store, go there and try helmets on and see what feels best for your budget. At my local Cycle Gear store, they are really helpful and not pushy when looking at gear. If you can try a helmet on, it will help you out to make sure you like the fit. CycleGear will also allow you to buy and return if you do not use it outside (verify this - I was told this last year at the store). Also helmets are designed for riding styles, i.e. cruiser, touring, sport. Your head is important, do not skimp on a helmet.
    Good luck!
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Comfortable fit & weight helps not wear you out as fast. Prefer the Bluetooth unit to be separate, can move to new/or spare helmet whenever might need to. Removable/replaceable visors & liners fairy common but not every. Do you really wanna go cheap something protects your head? Don’t need extravagant either :thumbup plenty descent price available suggest visit various bike shops & find what size noggin you got ;work from there. Particularly like HJC modular with built in shade for all weather riding here.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OUTRUSH SENA's MODULAR HELMET.jpg

I'll be looking to purchase my 1st Spyder soon. I have very little experience when it comes to helmets. I have a general idea of what I think I want but that's all.

I think I want a modular helmet that is Bluetooth capable, that way I can communicate with whom ever might be riding with me if need be plus listening to the radio, gps and such. Now other than this I am completely lost. I did a search on here but the threads that came up were old and with the way things evolve quickly I thought I'd get some suggestions from this forum.

I won't have a ton of money to spend so I need something that will do what I want without spending a ton of money. Remember I'm just starting out and I know how over time everyone always upgrades to better things. I'm just not wanting to throw away money up front by buying junk. I know that the helmet must be DOT approved also.

Any suggestions, ideas or advice? Any to stay away from? What would I need as far as Bluetooth goes also?

OUTRUSH SENA's MODULAR HELMET.jpg
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

The most important thing about about a helmet IMO is how it fits your coconut. For example, HJC helmets are designed for more round coconuts while a number of other brands are designed for more oval-shaped or modified oval shaped coconuts. The wrong shaped helmet on your coconut can be an instant migraine. If you go to a dealership or motorcycle equipment supply store you should plan to spend at least 30 minutes test wearing a helmet. FWIW, in attempting to get the proper fitting and most comfortable helmet for my wife I found Revzilla most helpful. We ordered multiple helmets from them, sometimes multiple helmets in one order and shipped back, free of charge those she did not find comfortable. I personally do not like the idea of helmets with integral Bluetooth devices. For example, my Shoei Neotec modular helmet fits perfectly but the company has eliminated itself from my consideration for a replacement with its Neotec 2 with integral Sena headset because my Sena 20S EVO is less than a year old and works perfectly.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yeah, as others have said, try on any helmets you can find close, but don’t forget that just because your head measures 62cm, does not mean all 62cm helmets will comfortable on you as some helmets are more oval in shape, while some are more round, K80.

If your head is oval shaped, and the lid you buy in your size 62 is round, you will get pressure points on your temple which are very uncomfortable after a short period. See if you can find a helmet that has no pressure points on the side or front of your head, then see if you can find that helmet on Webbike. They will nominate the shape in their testing - oval, intermediate oval, round etc. (if they have actually tested that helmet of course, but they have tested a huge number).

You can then look on their site for other helmets of the same shape in your size, and be “pretty: sure they will be comfortable....I.e. comfortable enough to risk ordering online.....but make sure the seller has a “return within x days for a refund” policy (like Revzilla etc).

I use this method and have only been caught out once in 10 helmets ordering online, and it was with an expensive Schuberth. I actually shaved a couple of mm off the forehead interior, and it was perfect (bought from the US, and the shipping cost to return from Aus was simply toooooo expensive )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I like those that are referred to as modular. I have exclusively used Nolans (100's and 40-44's) the last 10 years or so. I have six on the shelf. 4 have the inner sun shade and one set has the n-comm communicators built in. I like the drop down visor, but do NOT like the built in n-comm system. Low range, and lots of noise compared to the SENA set up.

Our current helmets (in use the most) are Bell Magnum 9/Sena. They have built in SENA bluetooth. Longer range (about 3-4 blocks--straight line) and no noise in the communicators.
    They have the drop down innner sun shade, a non removable visor, and a pull down face plate.

When we purchased, they were about $300 each. In use for over a year, and we are happy with them. When I am not communicating, I still wear the latest Nolan because I like the visor better.

I wont get into a safety discussion, or a price discussion...there are standard answers that pop up, and I know this is not what you were asking. There are better helmets out there, but I am happy with our choices. Riding since 1960's and owned to many bikes to remember the number. I can say I have been there and done that though.
    Agree on the Bell Magnum 9. Very nice helmet. Will most likely be my next helmet. Currently using a HJC IS-Cruiser Helmet, very comfortable. Cool in the hot desert weather.
    2020 RT-L , Lamonster brake pedal riser Red

Spyder Garage

Some have pointed out some very good considerations and advice, thanks for that.

I never said I wanted to go cheap but I don't feel that I need to drop 600 or so on a helmet right now and not like it. I was thinking maybe in the 200 to 300 range then maybe adding the Bluetooth. Is this not a realistic figure for a good helmet? I also do not want to purchase anything that won't give me good protection.

Like I said I live in a rural area, there's not a bike dealer in my town but I will be taking the Can-Am BRP training course next week and I'm sure they will have helmets there and then travel on over to Cycle Gear in Lawrenceville Ga to look at what they have. As far as I know my nearest Can-Am dealer is about 30 miles away in South Carolina. I am planning on looking there also.

Oh also my bike will be a Spyder RT Limited. I really like the 2020-2021 in Marsala and I also like the Petrol Blue...... Just more decisions. I also have my eye on a low mileage 2019 RT Limited in white.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Some have pointed out some very good considerations and advice, thanks for that.

I never said I wanted to go cheap but I don't feel that I need to drop 600 or so on a helmet right now and not like it. I was thinking maybe in the 200 to 300 range then maybe adding the Bluetooth. Is this not a realistic figure for a good helmet? I also do not want to purchase anything that won't give me good protection.

Like I said I live in a rural area, there's not a bike dealer in my town but I will be taking the Can-Am BRP training course next week and I'm sure they will have helmets there and then travel on over to Cycle Gear in Lawrenceville Ga to look at what they have. As far as I know my nearest Can-Am dealer is about 30 miles away in South Carolina. I am planning on looking there also.

Oh also my bike will be a Spyder RT Limited. I really like the 2020-2021 in Marsala and I also like the Petrol Blue...... Just more decisions. I also have my eye on a low mileage 2019 RT Limited in white.

As you can see helmet selection is very subjective. You wear a helmet for safety so I would research the ratings related to helmets then find helmets that meet the standard you support. You can speed your Cycle Gear visit by seeing what is actually available on their Lawrenceville website pick a few to start then let them know your coming so they will have them out for you to try. They can sell you the comm unit as well and install before you leave the store. There are good helmets in the $200-300 and there are crappy ones as well. I found Revzilla video reviews very helpful; especially when it comes to sizing for a particular brand.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have seen many mentions about SHAPE. Also mentioned that one brand might be better on a rounder head, while another brand is better on a oval head. All very true, but you also need to be aware that all brands have several different models, too. Some of them are shaped a bit differently, so it's possible that ACME Engineering's Model 10 might fit "round", but their Model 15 might fit "oval".

Bottom line: Just because you tested the Model 10 and found a wonderful fit, but you like the colors of the Model 15 better, IT MIGHT NOT FIT. You HAVE to check the model and size that you are interested in.

A side note: As much as you might save by buying on-line, even supporting the sponsors of this forum, I feel it is common courtesy if you go to a store and try on their helmets, when you find one that you like, why not say "thank you for being here, I'll take this one"?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I've got a Sena in my Shoei Neotech, and to be honest my far less expensive uClear (the base model is just $100, and you can move from helmet to helmet) is just as good and the service is much better.

I love my Neotech, but my wife's Shark (alto a modular) may be even better. Getting something basic for the moment and upgrading when you figure out how you ride is a wise idea.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

A side note: As much as you might save by buying on-line, even supporting the sponsors of this forum, I feel it is common courtesy if you go to a store and try on their helmets, when you find one that you like, why not say "thank you for being here, I'll take this one"?

with the whole post, but I've really gotta agree with that bit there - if you don't support them (our sponsors AND the outlets that actually stock the things we want so you can try them on/check them out in person) then they won't be able to stay in business and we will ALL pay the costs eventually!

But going on from Steve's post, the thing that often surprises me is how many people won't wear one helmet cos 'it's not comfortable' or 'it feels too tight', but they then go and buy a helmet that's simply too loose on their bollard or maybe even SO ill-fitting all over that it's downright dangerous & probably WORSE than wearing nothing at all as far as 'protecting the wearer from head & neck' injuries are concerned! How many youtube vids have you seen where a motorcyclist has hit the deck after coming off & their helmet has gone flying?? That shouldn't EVER happen if their helmet fitted properly & was securely fastened!

Now I know that some helmets/helmet liners can cause 'hot spots' or be so tight in some areas that you can only wear them for a few minutes before developing a blinding headache, and you don't/shouldn't need to go quite that tight; but seriously people, your helmet SHOULD fit pretty snugly - in fact, it should be juuust leaning towards 'uncomfortably tight' all over when you try it on new! . The pads & liner WILL 'bed in' a bit & mold to your face & head a little thru use, and they should be fairly 'snug' if not actually just on 'tight' evenly everywhere when they do, just not too tight anywhere, or they can't and won't do their job of protecting your cranium from injuries!! And if you put the helmet on, do it up properly, and then if either shaking your head from side to side/up & down or grabbing the helmet rim & trying to pull it off (especially by lifting the back/bottom on the nape of your neck & pulling it up/forwards over the top of your head) moves the helmet anything much at all, then that helmet is of a questionable fit & might just break your neck &/or skull if you hit the deck wearing it! Seen it happen, cleaned up the mess, never want to have to do either again!

So PLEASE, make sure you don't fall into the trap of searching out a helmet that's sooo comfortable a fit on your head that it's just not up to doing its job properly - your helmet NEEDS to be a little tight to fit properly, especially when it's new - but it shouldn't give you pressure sores or hot spots.

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-08-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

We tried something new with our last new helmets (Bell Mag 9/Sena). They were uncomfortably tight for both of us at first. We test wore them in the evening while watching TV. First night one hour, then over the next three nights or so, increased the wear time to two hours.

That helped a lot. The tightness is still there, but the "hurt" areas are gone. The padding has now shaped to us very nicely. The Bells are still working great after almost a year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red