Spyder Garage

Default Can anyone help with Wiring - harness diagram??

I purchased the wiring harness from Lamonster made by Big Bike Parts. Then I bought a five wire connector from Advanced auto only to discoer the wires had little in common and I know next to nothing about wiring harnesses for trailers. It’s all installed but I am concerned its not wired correctly.

Big Bike Instructions:
    Green to Ground
    Blue to Right Trun Signal
    Brown to Running Lights
    Orange to Left Turn Signal
    Red to Brake Lights.

Advanced Auto Parts Wiring:
    White to Ground
    Brown to Park/Tail
    Yellow to Left Turn
    Green to Right Turn
    Blue to Back up.

I have no problem with Ground, RIght and Left Turn.
    The other two are unknowns to me. Can anyone help here? The problem is I am not sure about what appear to be crossed up momenclature.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-07-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsprain View Post
    I purchased the wiring harness from Lamonster made by Big Bike Parts. Then I bought a five wire connector from Advanced auto only to discoer the wires had little in common and I know next to nothing about wiring harnesses for trailers. It’s all installed but I am concerned its not wired correctly.

Big Bike Instructions:
    Green to Ground
    Blue to Right Trun Signal
    Brown to Running Lights
    Orange to Left Turn Signal
    Red to Brake Lights.

Advanced Auto Parts Wiring:
    White to Ground
    Brown to Park/Tail
    Yellow to Left Turn
    Green to Right Turn
    Blue to Back up.

I have no problem with Ground, RIght and Left Turn.
    The other two are unknowns to me. Can anyone help here? The problem is I am not sure about what appear to be crossed up momenclature.
    If I read into this correctly.....too be sure since you are using a 5 pin( towing an AirStream),see how your trailer is wired and correspond that to the bikes harness. Orient trailer lighting wires to that of the bikes harness.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your trailer has separate turn signal and brake lights, right? In that case here you go:
    Advanced to BBP
    Left turn - Left turn
    Right Turn - Right turn
    Park/tail - Running
    Back up - Brake

Make sure the blue AAP wire is connected to the trailer brake lights.

Now, if your trailer has right turn/brake and left/turn brake lights, i.e., no separate turn and brake lights, then you got the wrong BBP harness.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If you pull a tail light. The wires are:
    Brake
    Running
    Turn
    Turn
    Ground
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your responses. I’ll mark it and when I get the trailer, figure out the wiring. I just thought there was a clear answer that came from standardization. I guess it is too much to ask. It’s sort of why we have so many different oil filters. Different sizes for different volumes makes sense, but their must be thousands of them. Just my gripe at the auto/motorcycle industry. Thanks for your feedback on the wiring.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsprain View Post
    I just thought there was a clear answer that came from standardization. I guess it is too much to ask.
    Optimism springs eternal!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apparently your confusion is coming from the different colors, as well as the different function names.

Keep in mind that the part you got from Advance Auto is intended for AUTO trailers, not motorcycle trailers. Yes, there is a BIG difference.

An Automotive trailer 5-pin plug can have several different configurations, too, so there is even more confusion. At a minimum, you are going to have tail lights and ground. Beyond that, if your TRAILER turn signals are also your brake lights, you will have wires for LEFT turn/brake and RIGHT turn/brake. The fifth wire can be for anything else, like charging a small battery, powering a dome light, reverse lights, electric trailer brakes, etc.

If your trailer has SEPARATE turn signals (hopefully yellow), your wires are going to be ground, tail, brake, left turn, right turn.

My suggestion would be to start with the bike and identify function, like TAIL (running) lights. On the bike, that is a brown wire. Happily, it is also a brown wire on the trailer plug. Move to the next FUNCTION, let's choose GROUND. On the bike, that is a green wire. On the trailer plug, it is white. Do they line up at the plug interface? If they do, great. If they don't, make a mental adjustment that your GROUND wire will be "xxx" color on the trailer plug, instead of white. Continue with all the other FUNCTIONS.

Remember that electrons are color-blind. And, it's dark inside the wire, so they can't see (and don't care) what color wire they are in. All they know is they have a job to do. If they are in the brake line from the bike, they need to go to the brake line on the trailer. Colors don't matter, as long as the function is good. Yes there are "standard" colors, but from one industry to another, and one manufacturer to another, those standards can, and DO, change.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G