Spyder Garage

Default love the zumo xt

just bought this from Lamont and all we can say is wow,finally something that works better than we could have thought,it makes planning a trip so easy and works like a champ.Thanks Lamont for the unit and advice

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bought mine from Lamont, aswell. I'm sure I'll love it once I figure out the whole Basecamp thing.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Monk, give me a shout if you have any questions. I've been using Basecamp for quite a few years and am kind
    of familiar with it. No expert, but can find my way around.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Monk, give me a shout if you have any questions. I've been using Basecamp for quite a few years and am kind
    of familiar with it. No expert, but can find my way around.
    I may do just that. I've watched the YouTube tutorials and read the "owners manual" and I'm still lost.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I may do just that. I've watched the YouTube tutorials and read the "owners manual" and I'm still lost.

HAGO!
    I've been there before.

Spyder Garage

Just a heads up. I’m using Basecamp on a MAC, just updated to Big Sur and Basecamp freezes up. The workaround from Garmin at this time is to only use 3D view - that works. Or hold off upgrading Mac OS.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Basecamp is a decent trip planner for the price. Even if you don't immediately catch on to creating your own waypoints and routes, you can use it to import 1000s of pre-built GPX routes from the web or friends, alter if needed, and download them to your XT. Then when you get home, you can upload your track to basecamp for viewing and saving. It takes awhile to grasp the drag & drop of objects across the directory structure but becomes quite efficient for making new routes from stored waypoints.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Basecamp is a decent trip planner for the price.

Then when you get home, you can upload your track to basecamp for viewing and saving.
    "...for the price." Could be I missed something. I d/l'ed Basecamp for free. Is there another paid module I should get to make it work?

REALLY??? That would be awesome. I have 4 or 5 regular routes I like and would like to be able to ride them then save them in the XT.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

New question for anyone. I loaded a few gigs of music on a microSD card and stick it in the zumo. I also have the phone paired to the zumo for traffic updates, etc. When I go into the media player on the zumo, it won't allow me to listen to music off the microSD card. Suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Basecamp is free. Ergo, 'for the price'. It is fairly powerful right out of the box. I'm not aware of an enhanced version or a better routing app for PCs.
    With XT plugged into PC and Bascamp running, you should see the XT and SD card on left side. Top menu, click DEVICE, RECEIVE FROM DEVICE and pick XT internal storage and upload. Left side will show new folder under 'Data received from'.
    In there you'll find all your old tracks back as far as your last deletion. You'll need to join daily tracks to make the whole trip. Next step is to build a new route over your track using new waypoints you'll create (right click). That's because the 'Create route from selected tracks' option only creates a start/end waypoint leaving the middle to variation of routing engine and options. That's a whirlwind tutorial but it may help.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Basecamp is free. Ergo, 'for the price'. It is fairly powerful right out of the box. I'm not aware of an enhanced version or a better routing app for PCs.
    With XT plugged into PC and Bascamp running, you should see the XT and SD card on left side. Top menu, click DEVICE, RECEIVE FROM DEVICE and pick XT internal storage and upload. Left side will show new folder under 'Data received from'.
    In there you'll find all your old tracks back as far as your last deletion. You'll need to join daily tracks to make the whole trip. Next step is to build a new route over your track using new waypoints you'll create (right click). That's because the 'Create route from selected tracks' option only creates a start/end waypoint leaving the middle to variation of routing engine and options. That's a whirlwind tutorial but it may help.
    Outstanding (with a caveat)! I had to create an MP3 folder and put all of the music (which I grouped into other folders depending on genre/band). The unit doesn't recognize the folders and wants to list ALL songs in alphabetical order. Sometimes, I want to listen to '80s music. Other times I might only want to listen to Skillet or Asia or es postumus.

Any solution to this? Could very well be I'm missing something.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Basecamp is a decent trip planner for the price. Even if you don't immediately catch on to creating your own waypoints and routes,...
    This link is to a very good tutorial on learning BaseCamp.
    https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never could get the zumo XT to work right. I loaded some MP3s on it but they weren't in the correct order so I wiped it and started all over again. Couldn't get the original files off the unit so I contacted Garmin customer care. I was finally able to speak with a wonderful young lady named Carla (who needs a raise) who tried to assist me. She ended up sending me a new unit. Still had issues so I'm sending both back to Garmin (tomorrow morning) for a full refund.

I guess I'll stick with my phone. I'm hoping Garmins next generation is a bit easier to use. If so, I may try again.

Spyder Garage

I have found only 1 negative so far with the XT, I don't like the way it attaches to its base compared to prior units.

Other than that it is hands down the the best GPS I have used, and I've had a bunch over the years. Have not found any lighting situation that the display did not work well in. Garmin finally got the fact that users needed easy access to all the features and made it happen. Can't wait to see what the next generation might bring.

I'm learning to live with the attachment process, I guess I liked the old way as I didn't even have to think about it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Having a Madstad windshield on my F3S, I have great a mounting point on the shield cross brace. Over the gauges and in direct center line of site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

For those that have trouble with Basecamp, might want to take a look at Harley Ride Planner. To me, it is a little easier to use, I've done several tutorials on Basecamp and if I dont use it for a few months I always struggle. The Harley Ride Planner creates GPX files, so easy to work on the Garmin. Suggest a look, has a pretty nice interface
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey