Spyder Garage

Default RTS trailer plug adaptor

Hello, I have a 2015 RTS and want to install a hitch for my Escapade Trailer. I attached a picture of the plug on the trailer that plugged into the harness on my 89 Goldwing. Is there a harness I can install that will plug into this one or would I have to rewire ?
    Thanks in advance.

Escapade plug.jpg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    Hello, I have a 2015 RTS and want to install a hitch for my Escapade Trailer. I attached a picture of the plug on the trailer that plugged into the harness on my 89 Goldwing. Is there a harness I can install that will plug into this one or would I have to rewire ?
    Thanks in advance.
    That's an oddball plug. I've never seen that one before. Your trailer has separate turn and brake lights, right? Does it also have backup lights or auxiliary lights? Do you have a trailer wiring harness on the Spyder now, or not? Do you want to keep the separate turn signal and brake lights? Let us know what you actually have, and want to keep. Then we can suggest the best approach for you. I'm pretty sure this is not a simple use-an-adapter situation, but the solution is fairly easy to implement.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It probably has aux lights and interior lights on the escapade. No backup lights. What year is the trailer

Spyder Garage

i have no hitch or wiring on the Spyder. I'll need to check the year of the trailer as I bought it used. It was a plug and play for my 89 goldwing, I bought the wing and trailer together so goldwing already had the harness. I had never seen that type of trailer plug either so was hoping someone here has as seems to be some ex wingers here.
    Thanks for feedback

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    i have no hitch or wiring on the Spyder. I'll need to check the year of the trailer as I bought it used. It was a plug and play for my 89 goldwing, I bought the wing and trailer together so goldwing already had the harness. I had never seen that type of trailer plug either so was hoping someone here has as seems to be some ex wingers here.
    Thanks for feedback
    Your best bet, IMO, is this for the bike harness: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/trail...019-lamonster/. This is a 5 wire harness, which your trailer is. Cut the current connector off of the trailer harness and attach a flat 5 wire plug on it. The sixth wire on the trailer is for an auxiliary or interior light on the trailer which you will no longer use. If you do want to use it you will be looking at a more complicated setup, on both the bike and the trailer. To get an idea of what you would be facing take a look at the first two posts here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-lights-Part-1. In this case I made my own entire harness with an additional 12 volt power lead to the trailer. There was/is no plug and play harness available to do what I needed to do.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Here's the hitch you want. http://bigbikeparts.com/templates/pr...#41-164Gallery[pp_gal]/0/. You can also get the bike harness from them. It's the same one Lamonster sells.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

That's a 8 pin square trailer plug with 2 pins cut off. You can buy a an 8 pin female plug to match. If that's what you want.

What you need to do is look at your trailer and tell us if it has amber turn signal lights. If it does. It is a 5 wire system. If not then it is 4 wire system. I assume it will likely be a 5 wire system. So. Most aftermarket 5 wire trailer harness kits made for the Spyder do not come with a connector. Then you could just wire it to a 8 pin plug and no changes needed to your trailer. If you decide to go with a BRP OE hitch and harness. That has a square 4 pin plug. Just have to build an adapter. 4 pin plug, 2 to 3 converter module, 8 pin square. If you buy an aftermarket harness that has a 4 pin flat. Then have to make an adapter, except with a matching 4 pin plug. Or if you want to rewire the trailer to match whatever you put on your Spyder. You can do that too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy is somewhat correct. I didn't look at the Show Chrome info close enough. It has no trailer connector so you could do as he suggests and get an 8 pin connector and not cut off the the one on the trailer. Just use the 5 pins needed. Most of the harnesses that do have a trailer plug already attached are for 4 wire trailers.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That clears things up. Nothing like a wiring diagram to make things easier. So amber turn signal lights makes it a 5 wire system and the extra 6th wire is for the interior light.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hello Gentlemen,
    Sorry for the delay, it's the silly season you know. Anyway it does have Amber and red lights. I may want to use the trailer with my gold wing again at some time so it would seem the best path is the show chrome harness and the 8 wide trailer plug. I am no electrical guy by any stretch of the imagination but think I can get this done. Probably a spring project.
    Thanks to all for the input and Happy Holidays

Spyder Garage

That's a life saver, thanks

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP OE hitch and harness that I had the dealer install on my 2021 RTL, which has the square 4 pin plug. I also am looking to purchase an Escapade trailer. Its sounds like all I need is the 2 to 3 converter module and then the correct adapters. Is this sufficient or do I also need to wire in an isolator? Does the BRP OEM control module that was installed with the hitch include an isolator?