Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why no built in GPS on 2020RT?

I dont get it. The new RT has a great new dash display, but no built in GPS? BRP messed up. GPS should be standard on these new expensive machines. I have heard about Genius maps, but needs to use your phone to run it. GPS should be built in to the Spyder like many cars are these days.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gps

A great question. I don't know the answer......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I think it's and either/or proposition on GPS vs BRP Connect. Any specific built in GPS would likely become obsolete over time, which is why the idea of including multiple GPS options, including Rever is such a great idea. The problem is that BRP Connect just doesn't work in any reasonable way, and appears to need a major overhaul even in my 2020 model. It is one of the least intuitive and poorly designed interfaces I have ever tried to use, and is extremely limited in function and compatibility (and not even all of the very few apps it works with even actually work).

I would think that had they included it, and further split their resources, it wouldn't be worth using at all. Apple CarPlay would have been their best option. (Just to be clear, I'm not down on my Spyder, I love it, but for high end phone connected tech, they really dropped the ball and need a serious update, assuming that is possible.)

I have found it most effective to mount my phone on my handlebars and bluetooth it to my helmet. My iPhone has great GPS options, including Rever (with functions offline), and does everything else I need it to (podcasts, music, phone calls) while I'm riding, and integrates all of it in a sensible way.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "new" dash came out in 2018. I sort of agree with MRH that most stand alone GPS unit will become obsolete over time but so will both the GPS apps and the current BuRP dash. I tried both Sygic and Rever and couldn't get either of them to work consistantly via BuRP Connect. It's a good platform but it's not ready for prime time. For BuRP to be successful with an all inclusive dash, they need to enlarge the dash and support both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Anything less and it's not enough. I have a 2019 Honda CR-V. Even at the highest trim level, it's not exactly luxurious or cutting edge. It's a basic car, period. It has Apply Carplay and Android Auto support. My trim level doesn't come with built in navigation. I use Android Auto and Google Maps. It works. The current RT/F3T/L are PREMIUM vehicles. Even the base model RT (which is what I have) is a premium vehicle. If a base(ish) model car can support Apple Carplay and Android Auto, the RT/F3 should, aswell.

I honestly think, the next generation RT (I'm guessing in about 2025) will have a larger dash and will have support for Apple Carplay and Android Auto. That's when I'll trade up.

HAGO!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cadillac no longer includes GPS in the dash. They want you to use your phone GPS. My brother said he can't get it to work properly either, so Spyder ryders aren't the only ones who have problems.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just read where Nissan does not offer in dash navigation in the Sentra or Versa. They want you to use your smartphone app. It's a cost thing which is probably why BRP never included it. Plus, more drivers are relying on the phone app rather than on board GPS. So GPS is going the way of CB, except a lot sooner in it's life cycle!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ... So GPS is going the way of CB, except a lot sooner in it's life cycle!
    Maybe stand along GPS units, but AFAIK, even phones use the GPS satellites. I prefer the stand alone units, because I like the larger
    screen on the bike.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No Android auto that can be hooked up to the new Spyder???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Maybe stand along GPS units, but AFAIK, even phones use the GPS satellites. I prefer the stand alone units, because I like the larger
    screen on the bike.
    I was referring specifically to automotive built-in dash GPS. Stand alones will be around for a long time yet

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    screen on the bike.
    Major advantage to the stand-alone is glove friendly, pressure sensitive screen works with anything. Phone needs capacitive touch gloves/pads to operate screens.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I was just looking at a Jaguar forum from 2017. Jaguar Land Rover uses mySpin, which is what BRP Connect is. Same comments there as here! Some users love it and have no problem, others have nothing but headaches with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Hi Joel,
    I have 2017 RT Limited. It has the Garmin Zumo590. I wouldn't have it any other way. Every few months I take it off, plug into my computer and down load (for free) the latest maps and updates. I have found "in-dash" GPS's need to be updated at a dealer and they usually charge a rather large fee for doing so. Also if your GPS goes for a ****. An in dash one means replacing the dash. A free standing one is a lot cheaper to replace. I had a free standing one in my car and the screen died. Bought a new one and Garmin walked me through the steps to transfer all the way points, etc to the new one for free. Just my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Due to what the smartphones can do, the stand alone GPS will be obsolete in a few years. Way too expensive compared to the apps available for the phones. The phone can be mounted to the dash or bars and used by itself or with BRP Connect and piped into the dash. Kinda didn't work the best but now it works fine.

There are two GPS apps that work in the BRP Connect dash. Genius Maps and Sygic GPS navigation. Both work but the Sygic one is the better of the two. Rever worked but, with software changes, it doesn't right now. It should be able to be used as a navigation as well as tracker soon. Dash Radio is fantastic, you can swap music while moving compared to the Apple Music app which you can only set up when stopped. While moving all you can do is switch to the next song.FOBO and FOBO ii work and its great to check tire pressure in the dash. Plus there are a few other apps that I have yet to try out.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

BRP does not seem to be smart enuff to make the Connect program worth using so why do you think they could make a built in GPS work? And yes, I spent the money and i've tried them. Nothing that is out that integrates with the dash is worth having in my opinion. They re now in the 4th year and it's still worthless.

At least with prior units they were smart enuff to include a Garmin unit.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems the only way to go for us 'seniors' that are less than tech savvy, is the GPS Garman mount to the handle bar. I'm assuming there's a YouTube out there with a tutorial on the BRP Connect, I just haven't been motivated to spend the time to investigate and learn when there are simpler methods to navigate. So in my world, I have wasted $ on the BRP Connect because 'it was there' and not an option. My ride is a 2020 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I used the BRP Connect lines in the glovebox to feed my XM radio into the Aux input to radio. Zumo 595 is direct BT to sena. Built-in GPS disadvantages have already been pointed out and phone apps can't handle most glove touches.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2018 will be 3 years old next January.Thats as long as BRP Connect has been available. It's free and the few apps that cost are usable with or without BRP C. Garmin and TomTom along with a few other GPS manufacturers had apps but many users wanted free like Google and Waze. $40 is dirt cheap compared to $500+ for a Garmin. Due to the cheapskates, Garmin removed their app but TomTom looks to be keeping it around. The phone's processor is much faster than any Garmin which makes it way easier to work with. If you're going to buy new tech you need to keep up with the latest so it's easy to use.

The GPS apps (Sygic & Genius) are less than $100 and Sygic is on sale currently for $25. As of a month ago BRP C works in the dash just fine. Sygic and Dash radio are fantastic. Yes it took some fidgeting to figure it out. It's not that hard if you have even an inkling of how to use a smartphone. It's so nice to use the joystick rather than try and manipulate the phone or even the Garmin screen.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The problem is that the rest of the world does not have cheap data for our phones like you guys do in the states. I could not afford to run a GPS on my phone over the length of a trip.
    So, it's been a Tomtom for me.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    The problem is that the rest of the world does not have cheap data for our phones like you guys do in the states. I could not afford to run a GPS on my phone over the length of a trip.
    As long as you use an app that downloads maps to the phone you won't need to use up cell data. Sygic, TomTom, Genius are 3 that are pretty nice. They download just the maps you want and do not use cell service unless you want traffic. TomTom is around $40 for smartphones. As of the iPhone 3G smartphones have 3 antennas. Cell, WiFi and GPS
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    GPS does not use any data.(maps, Google Maps are a direct signal to satellites). Now battery usage is a whole different story. I installed a dual UBC/ Voltmeter on my 18RTL. Problem Solved! Working on that for my 21 RTL.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just want to unclutter my dash. Would be nice to have built in gps and control with handlebar controls. I have a really nice stand alone gps with wifi and android operating system that I use right now because i can control my gopro with it. Just looking for a cleaner dash and I think brp dropped the ball. H-D and Indian both offer built in gps.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I would like to add that I have a Try-Glide with a built in GPS that costs me $145.00 to update on an annual basis. It is from a European vendor and it does not always make the best routing decisions. As far as using a cell phone there are places that you will not have any service at all and a stand alone GPS will still work. I use a Garmin XT and I have had no problems with it and it came with lifetime updates.

Spyder Garage

I would rather have a "central locking system". Working off the key. One touch locks everything including the ignition. One touch unlocks. I use "Android Auto" when I need a GPS. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rayeade View Post
    As far as using a cell phone there are places that you will not have any service at all and a stand alone GPS will still work.
    Google maps does allow you to download maps for offline use. There are many places here in upstate NY where I don't have service but maps still work fine (minus real-time traffic.)
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

I use a tablet on the dash, which is somewhat unusual and always people think it's in the way.
    Sometimes I use the garmin zumo xt but I use the tablet most of the time just because
    it's bigger, better detail and I can use Android Auto when I want a real time satellite view
    using Google mapping when I have internet and I have also a app called Copilot that I've used
    for many years that works very well that stands on its own and better at night view.

I know its looks tall but its not in my viewing area when I am riding.

Nexus

20201212_120804.jpg

20201212_120856.jpg

20200409_172020 (1).jpg

20201108_134025.jpg