Spyder Garage

Default It Burps!! Lamonster's IPS Fuel Cap Assembly

I just installed Lamonster's IPS (keyless) Fuel Cap Assembly. Its a beautiful thing!! I don't know one tool from the next, and am terrible at following written directions - but, Lamont & Jacob's install videos make it so that I can do my own mods - and be proud of the finished result!!

However, the cap "burps" when I shut down the engine...even after only a few minutes.

Anyone else install this mod and experience it? Is it normal? It doesn't bother me (I actually find it amusing). Just want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Just a guess, but I think that when you stop, the flow of cooling air ceases and the residual heat from the engine is warming and expanding the fuel and the air (mostly the air) inside the tanks.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Totally logical explanation, Ricz, but, then how come the OEM gas cap didn't burp?

Spyder Garage

Gas caps are vented. You may have one with no or blocked venting. Not a good thing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Gas caps are vented. You may have one with no or blocked venting. Not a good thing.
    OR..... the Evaporative Emission System isn’t t providing venting to the Carbon Canister when in key off position...........just a thought.....
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this issue was not apparent before installation of fuel cap upgrade.....call Lamonster and explain the issue your having. Key Off, hot engine.....tank pressure build up should be vented through the Evap Emission System.....not to atmosphere.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I can’t help you with what the issue is, Justsmile, but my IPS cap doesn’t burp, and hasn’t, in the couple of years I have had it on. I agree with Bikerchris......call Lamont, just in case.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have also had the IPS cap for two years and it doesn’t burp. Could be a fuel canister issue.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone - also pulled up to the pump for my first fill up, and could not get the gas cap off. Me and the two guys struggled with it for a few minutes, then it finally came unscrewed. Again - installed the IPS gas cap as soon as I got the 2020 F3 Limited - before my first fill up. At least I was able to fill it!! I love Lamont and Jacob and all that I have purchased an all that they do - but, they must be really busy because they do not seem to answer my phone calls or emails :-)

So - I guess you all are stuck with me!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justsmile0808 View Post
    Thanks, everyone - also pulled up to the pump for my first fill up, and could not get the gas cap off. Me and the two guys struggled with it for a few minutes, then it finally came unscrewed. Again - installed the IPS gas cap as soon as I got the 2020 F3 Limited - before my first fill up. At least I was able to fill it!! I love Lamont and Jacob and all that I have purchased an all that they do - but, they must be really busy because they do not seem to answer my phone calls or emails :-)

So - I guess you all are stuck with me!!!
    Have you found any solutions? I'm curious about this "fuel canister" situation. I don't have the LaMonster cap, but my original locked fuel cap makes a loud, high-pitched noise, that is caused by pressure build up in the fuel tank. When I open it, there is a pop, (Or burp) of the pressure releasing, and the noise stops. The pressure is, obviously, squeezing through the seal and making the noise. it sounds like our problems are basically the same thing. I hate to take it to the dealer, and pay some crazy amount of money for them to do something I might be able to do. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure like to hear from them. On past, regular motorcycles, there was a rubber tube running down under the bike that relieved pressure.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black