Spyder Garage

Default Hard starting 2014 rts

After riding for a good distance. When we stop for lunch or whatever. The bike will not stay running after start. Have to restart several time before it will stay running. Any Idea's? ??
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    After riding for a good distance. When we stop for lunch or whatever. The bike will not stay running after start. Have to restart several time before it will stay running. Any Idea's? ??
    Vapor lock?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I do remember something about fuel lines being the problem, but don't remember where I read it.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fuel pump, fuel filter. How many miles on your spyder?

Spyder Garage

T.W.O.{Throttle Wide Open} has been helpful for some (not all)starting issues.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Crappy Gas?

Spyder Garage

I vote with 2dogs and trikermutha. How many miles on the Spyder and how long has this been happening. The original fuel filter change interval in our op guides is 19K but in 2016 BRP lengthened it to 28K for the 1330 ACE engine. I changed mine the first time at 19k and the second at the 56K service with no problem. At a little over a year and 11.4K miles I got a bad tank of gas, water, and the local dealership completely drained and flushed the tank and fuel filter but did not replace the filter, refilled tank with nonethanol high test, and away I went. Were I in your boots I'd flush the fuel line from upstream of the fuel filter being sure to have some fresh gas to put in the tank so that you don't run the fuel pump dry. Put what you flush out in a large, clear plastic jug so you can check for water and see crud, if any. If there's any crud in the gas install a new filter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTS had a purge valve problem making it hard to start after stopping and trying to restart it shortly there after...Especially bad on hot days...I removed the purge valve hose from the air box and ran a separate vent line from the fuel tank to the atmosphere under the bike towards the rear to avoid the gas smell...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    My 2014 RTS had a purge valve problem making it hard to start after stopping and trying to restart it shortly there after...Especially bad on hot days...I removed the purge valve hose from the air box and ran a separate vent line from the fuel tank to the atmosphere under the bike tls owards the rear to avoid the gas smell...larryd

My 14rts has less then 13,000 miles on it. I have put the air scoops on and removed all the insulation under the panels. We live in clearwater fla. So yes it gets hot here and the humidity is high. It a started some months ago. Never left us stranded, but not a feeling I like not knowing if it will stay running after it starts.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    My 14rts has less then 13,000 miles on it. I have put the air scoops on and removed all the insulation under the panels. We live in clearwater fla. So yes it gets hot here and the humidity is high. It a started some months ago. Never left us stranded, but not a feeling I like not knowing if it will stay running after it starts.
    If I remember correctly (and its been a while) you can fairly easily unhook the purge valve hose from the air box and just let it vented to the atmosphere for a try...The open hole in the air box could suck in something from the surrounding air, so just stay away from the dusty conditions or plug that hole...

Also if you have access to a gauge maybe check the fuel pressure...In tank pump could be momentarily acting up...

When it starts, does it immediately die from idle??? Have you tried giving it a little throttle to see if it will keep running above idle???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    If I remember correctly (and its been a while) you can fairly easily unhook the purge valve hose from the air box and just let it vented to the atmosphere for a try...The open hole in the air box could suck in something from the surrounding air, so just stay away from the dusty conditions or plug that hole...

Also if you have access to a gauge maybe check the fuel pressure...In tank pump could be momentarily acting up...

When it starts, does it immediately die from idle??? Have you tried giving it a little throttle to see if it will keep running above idle???

Yes it dies from idle. Restart and dies again. After a couple of starts it will run and hold idle.
    2014 RTS , Cognac