Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone added better a/mkt heated grips to an F3-L?

I was just wondering if anybody out there had added aftermarket heated grips to their F3? The heat setting sucks on the stock ones and I'm looking to mod them and wondered if it was doable. I tried searching for it but nothing showed up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Removed prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

I have been looking at the online manuals on BRP site and it shows the part numbers for the two stage heated grips and switch, as a new install. It looks to me like the grips are designed two stage or single stage like the ones on my F3L, and its all in the grip with the grip wires. Outside of this, i have not really seen any other AM heated grips. I may try to put on the RT grips, if i can confirm the size of the grips are the same as the F3, and the only other item is installing a two position switch for the temp control, as all the diagrams show it just plugging into a 12V source.

Spyder Garage

There was 1 (of a dozen probably) similar threads with points about the lack of “great” F3 heated grips (with RT effectiveness/heat levels).
    I too am looking for something better than the ‘F3 Heated Grip’ available,
    and been eyeing RT Heated grips. If they’ll fit/work.

Some discussion here as well, worth reading:
    Recent discussion— 136960 Heated-Grips-Warm-Enough
    Ryker not F3, but very good story— 136267 New-handlebars-heated-grips
    Finally, THIS. MAX DIY EFFORT. MUST READ 129789 Heated-grips-installed-differently

Run a forum search, you’ll find many others as well, but the 3 above are in my “Heated Grip Playbook”.

I don’t have (or have access to) the tools required to pull off anything fantastic, but
    I will find a way to leapfrog those anemic F3 grips ...at some point.
    Grips should at least be hotter than Toast. Just sayin..

Research still isn’t done, but from what I’ve read so far, this all comes down to
    BRP’s intentionally non-standard handlebar sizing.
    Which limit alot of otherwise very accessible options.

The F3HeatedGrip Saga continues...
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Spyder Garage

Just buy heated gloves. Grips do nothing for the back of your hands. Together, you’re all set! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I recently got gerbing 12volt heated jacket, pants and hybrid gloves that can be connected to the spyders battery tender port. I bought the hybrid gloves because they can be used with batteries or connected to the jacket and pants. I do not like feeling the slightest bit uncomfortable while riding. I was out the other day, it was 45 degrees and the gloves were so warm I actually turned them off! Soon enough I will try them in colder temps, but for my comfort it was all worth the money spent!

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it helps or not but the grips are the same size as they have been since 2013 as far as the ST and F3 goes. I have a set of ST grips and I just measured them and the F3 grips. They both measure out at 22.67mm so that has not changed. As far as the wire harness goes wouldn't the grips need a relay for the upper setting? Just trying to think of everything here. If it is as simple as replacing the switch do the grips need to be changed?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    I don't know if it helps or not but the grips are the same size as they have been since 2013 as far as the ST and F3 goes. I have a set of ST grips and I just measured them and the F3 grips. They both measure out at 22.67mm so that has not changed. As far as the wire harness goes wouldn't the grips need a relay for the upper setting? Just trying to think of everything here. If it is as simple as replacing the switch do the grips need to be changed?
    Another place to look is the Snow-mobile market ..... they started using after-market heated grips .... DECADES ago ..... try DENNISKIRK.COM ..... in their snow-mobile catalog ...... Mike