Spyder Garage

Default Radiator - solder or weld a patch in place of the bung (broken)?

Some time back, I had wrung the bung completely out of the radiator in the process of changing coolant. Shrugged shoulders, JB welded the piece in and all was good for a number of years. This last summer, the repair failed and I haven’t been able to get it to stick back in there since,and stop leaking,I know, I’m asking a lot. So now I decided to just replace the radiator,and quit fighting it. Apparently BRP either discontinued the part,or quit stocking same. I tried ordering from the factory, and two of my go to parts suppliers,no good, cannot obtain. Since I’m using the lower hose for coolant change now, considering having a radiator shop weld or solder a patch in place of the bung. What say the forum?
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

I would bet if you take it to a good shop and you haven't $%^&*( it up with the JB Weld they may be able to fix it up for you!! In 40 years of welding, when people bring things into me to fix and they have used that stuff well it, for the most part is a PITA!!!! And they will get a licking when I am done!! But the crap will work in some cases for a long time!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You might try Cheapcycleparts https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...cooling-system Looks like they have them in stock. you can try look at recycled ones also for used ones.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I am wondering if you can get a slightly larger bung. Or, some kind of plug with a flange around the outer edge to give you more surface contact. Scuff everything up real well and JB Weld it again.

The keys to JB Weld is #1 use the slow drying stuff, not the quick set. And #2, mix it REALLY well. #3, have the smallest possible gap between parts. I would say you already know this. I've had great luck with the stuff! I've fixed everything from a damaged head on a Nissan to a cast part on my Spyder that got broken off. Admittedly, I've had some projects that didn't do well with JB Weld. But I pretty much figured it would go that way from the start. But even with a few of these, JB Weld did a better job than I'd expected.

I would not give up on the original radiator. Especially in light of the difficulty you're having finding a new one. Of course, taking it to a good shop might work as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ahem, the epoxy broke off clean, and was cleaned from the original bung. The original repair must have been in there a good five years (roadster is a 2011 with close to 64 K miles) Cheapcycle parts is a no go as well. I might try a larger insert,like an oversized drain bolt, that will be flanged as well,just not too big so in case the epoxy fails again, the hole might be only 2 or so mm larger.
    So, Mikey, I do have an independent shop close by in mind. I suppose a patch will have to be TIG welded. If that’s the case, I’ll be sure the surrounding area is scrupulously clean.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

There are some on ebay for sale or try Pinwall cycles parts for used one.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Take it to a good radiator shop. They can weld a new one in.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing on my 2010 RT. Since your already pulling covers to get to lower radiator hose, pull out radiator and take it to a radiator shop. I did this and have had no leaks since, and can now drain radiator the way it supposed to work! Just my opinion, even with new radiator, you should have it soldered in before you install! Good luck

Spyder Garage

I agree with Don60. You are going to get it soldered anyway so just have them either put your old bung back soldered the way it should have been from the factory or a new one and you will be able to use it the way it should have been designed. I was amazed when I found out they are only a press fit.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze