Spyder Garage

Default Windshield question - why return to lowest position when turned off?

On 2020 RT, is there a reason the windshield returns to lowest position every time you turn off the key ? Seems to me like all this going up and down stuff, is just asking for something to wear out down the road.

Spyder Garage

It's a feature! My Triumph Trophy had the same feature. They call it memory positioning. Other bikes with elec screen had to be re-positioned every time bike turned off and auto-lowered screen.. Had this on 2 former bikes and it worked fine (100k mi of use over 6 years).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    On 2020 RT, is there a reason the windshield returns to lowest position every time you turn off the key ? Seems to me like all this going up and down stuff, is just asking for something to wear out down the road.
    It's for exactly the same reason the windscreen wipers on your cage 'park' when you turn them off?!?

Maybe some BRP engineer thought it'd be a good idea to 'fix' the older version's failure to auto-lower on shut-down!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've read about it, but still don't understand it. Seems to me that to leave the windshield where it was before the key was turned
    off makes the most sense. That was where I had it set, so that is where I want it. Does the radio reset to the OEM station? Do
    the headlights return to low beam? Do the foglights turn off? Sounds like a less than useful "feature". Just something else to fail at
    some point.

The windscreen on Peggy's 2013 STS rarely gets moved around. Why does having to reset it every time seem like a good idea?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's for exactly the same reason the windscreen wipers on your cage 'park' when you turn them off?!?

Maybe some BRP engineer thought it'd be a good idea to 'fix' the older version's failure to auto-lower on shut-down!
    Actually having the wipers park makes sense, they don't end up in your field of view. The windscreen parking makes no such sense. It just means you
    have to reset it everytime you start the Spyder. Unless you like it all the way down, it needs to be adjusted every time. And if you like it all the way
    down, then who needs adjustment anyway? Is a puzzlement.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I've read about it, but still don't understand it. Seems to me that to leave the windshield where it was before the key was turned
    off makes the most sense. That was where I had it set, so that is where I want it. Does the radio reset to the OEM station? Do
    the headlights return to low beam? Do the foglights turn off? Sounds like a less than useful "feature". Just something else to fail at
    some point.

The windscreen on Peggy's 2013 STS rarely gets moved around. Why does having to reset it every time seem like a good idea?
    .... I'm guessing the same engineer who decided an UN-BROKEN part ( the orig. DESS module ) needed fixing .... we all know how that turned out ..............jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

You don't reset it, it's automagic! It returns to previous setting at start-up.
    IMO, cycling the motor and mechanism is less likely to cause problems than staying static for long periods and finding it stuck from lack of movement when you need to move it.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

2019 rt don’t do it and I’m glad.
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Spyder Garage

Maybe they think a cover will fit better in the low position and they are going to park it there in case you cover every night!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My 17 rtl doesnt have that feature but I always find myself forgetting to put the shield down which does make it a little harder to put the cover on.I do think it would be more wear and tear on a slightly problematic system anyway but if they could have made so you didnt have to start it just to move it that wouldve been nice.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I have to restart the Spyder to lower the windshield for the cover!!!!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I use a cover almost daily and welcome the screen lowering. It makes putting the cover on easier.
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Maybe they think a cover will fit better in the low position and they are going to park it there in case you cover every night!!
    Exactly my thoughts. On my 2010 and 2014, the windsheild did not retract automatically, so I needed to retract it when I put the cover on the bike.
    Unfortunately, the feature can't be turned off.
    You can turn the key off, and then press the windshield button immediately before the windshield begins to retract. This will keep the windsheild in the last place you set it. That way you can raise the windshield and then service the shield or the mechanism, but the next time you start the bike, the cycling resumes.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I leave mine somewhere in between, (2016). I've wondered why they added that feature...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    On 2020 RT, is there a reason the windshield returns to lowest position every time you turn off the key ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    ... I always find myself forgetting to put the shield down which does make it a little harder to put the cover on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I have to restart the Spyder to lower the windshield for the cover!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I've wondered why they added that feature...
    Well, that should answer your question. We don't cover it at home in the garage, but when on an overnight ride, it gets covered. We try to remember to lower it before turning the key off, but don't alway manage.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

Gives us something to talk about. I like the idea of having control over raising and lowering my windshield.
    Have a good day. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

On my 2020 rtl if I hold up direction on the windshield button it stops it from going back down at shut off. I do this mainly when I want to clean or polish the backside of the screen.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    On my 2020 rtl if I hold up direction on the windshield button it stops it from going back down at shut off. I do this mainly when I want to clean or polish the backside of the screen.
    Interesting! I'll have to try that trick. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I wish it was a simple BUDS setup change for older models, I would have it done on my 2019 very, very quickly. Seems I always forget when I pull up to lower the windshield, come back out after letting it cool a bit, then have to crank it up and lower it before putting the cover on.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Its because it looks cool when it does that and gets a lot of attention when I stop. Mine is always fully up so it goes fully down when I turn it off. As I Spyder owner of course I need a lot of attention so I like the feature!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

I have a guess on that. Motors and other parts that don't get much or any use can fail over time, and I think that this particular motor may fall right in that category. By running it automatically, it may keep it from failing for that reason.

Ironically, being that I mostly keep it all the way down, this will be of only minimal help to me (although I ride it enough that I'm not worried).

I could be totally wrong about the engineering here, so responses are invited.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

the new one don't have to be reset. they go back to as last used. Still seems senseless to me. I prefer it to stay where last used all the time.