Spyder Garage

Default Oddity in main odometer and trip odo.

I like to capture images of different things on the odometer. I guess I'm just a numbers geek, but palindromes, sequences, 10K, 100K, etc. get photographed. Today as I was watching my main odometer for a palindrome, I took note of where it changed in relation to the tenths number in the rest B. I noted it was no where near consistent. Sometimes the last mile would change after 0.9 miles and up to 1.2 miles and everything in between. I just found it extremely odd in that the last mile should have changed at a consistent tenth. I suppose this speaks to lack of quality control as seems to be the case for BRP.

On all of my bikes when I'm watching for something like this, the last mile digit changes consistently at one mile each time. Doesn't matter if it .1 or .9 or any other .x it is exactly the same every time.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

In 69,539.2 total Trip A miles (based on Trip A miles at every fill up) my odometer reads 69,611 or 71.8 miles over total trip miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I like to capture images of different things on the odometer. I guess I'm just a numbers geek, but palindromes, sequences, 10K, 100K, etc. get photographed. Today as I was watching my main odometer for a palindrome, I took note of where it changed in relation to the tenths number in the rest B. I noted it was no where near consistent. Sometimes the last mile would change after 0.9 miles and up to 1.2 miles and everything in between. I just found it extremely odd in that the last mile should have changed at a consistent tenth. I suppose this speaks to lack of quality control as seems to be the case for BRP.

On all of my bikes when I'm watching for something like this, the last mile digit changes consistently at one mile each time. Doesn't matter if it .1 or .9 or any other .x it is exactly the same every time.
    Put your odometer into km mode, then watch how they correspond. The actual data recording is probably being done in km (remember, the bike is metric, not English) and then divided by 1.609344 to display miles. If you convert a series of km from 1 to 100 you'll see a variation in the tenths part of the resulting miles due to rounding. I ran into this one time when I was correlating a series of Celsius temp readings to the displayed value in Fahrenheit. The instrument native number system was C.
    Here's a series of numbers to show what I mean.

km Odo miles Trip miles
    10 6 6.2
    11 7 6.8
    12 7 7.5
    13 8 8.1
    14 9 8.7
    15 9 9.3
    16 10 9.9
    17 11 10.6
    18 11 11.2
    19 12 11.8
    20 12 12.4
    21 13 13.0
    22 14 13.7
    23 14 14.3
    24 15 14.9
    25 16 15.5
    26 16 16.2
    27 17 16.8
    28 17 17.4
    29 18 18.0
    30 19 18.6
    31 19 19.3
    32 20 19.9
    33 21 20.5
    34 21 21.1
    35 22 21.7
    36 22 22.4
    37 23 23.0
    38 24 23.6
    39 24 24.2
    40 25 24.9

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

ya, I fully understand metric conversions; been doing them since 8th grade math class in 1968 when we were told the US is going metric. What I'm saying is that with today's electronic technology, there should be zero difference between the Trip meter and the main odometer. If the main odo clicks over 1 mile the Trip meter should have measured that same 1 mile, not .9 or 1.1 or 1.2 miles. Both of the VW TDIs we owned were spot on all the time. I guess the Germans have a better understanding of math using electronic technology than the folks at BRP.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmmm....Never noticed or watched my trip odometer and odometer close enough to see if there is a difference.

I did notice the road, beautiful scenery and nature as I rode though. I will look and see what mine does when I hit a really boring road...... oh wait, I can't find a boring road when on my spyder.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

This issue came up shortly after I began following SL in 2014 before I bought my Spyder. It was just a thread about the variance between trip meter(s) and odometer. I created a spreadsheet to track fuel consumption and cost and included the variance issue just to see how inaccurate my odometer was.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I let this kind of stuff ride. Having to much fun enjoying the ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ya know.... in all honesty, if they can’t build a simple clock that keeps time how could we expect the odometers to work properly. Don’t get me wrong, we LOVE both of our Spyders but it’s the little things like that on VERY expensive machines!
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Hmmmmm....Never noticed or watched my trip odometer and odometer close enough to see if there is a difference.

I did notice the road, beautiful scenery and nature as I rode though. I will look and see what mine does when I hit a really boring road...... oh wait, I can't find a boring road when on my spyder.

Live to Ride; Ride to Live! No boring roads; just bored people!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    ya, I fully understand metric conversions; been doing them since 8th grade math class in 1968 when we were told the US is going metric. What I'm saying is that with today's electronic technology, there should be zero difference between the Trip meter and the main odometer. If the main odo clicks over 1 mile the Trip meter should have measured that same 1 mile, not .9 or 1.1 or 1.2 miles. Both of the VW TDIs we owned were spot on all the time. I guess the Germans have a better understanding of math using electronic technology than the folks at BRP.
    You will get an almost exact correlation only if the raw pulses from the wheel sensor are what is converted to produce the miles numbers. What I think BRP has done is count the pulses, convert them to km in 1/10 km increments. Those numbers are then converted to miles. Run a long list of 1/10 km numbers and divide by 1.61 and then look at the column rounded to zero decimals and one rounded to 1 decimal. You'll see the 1/10 column numbers stay the same as the whole number changes, and also change by 1/10 as the whole number changes. This is due to rounding. When you reset the trip meter you should see the tenth number value change back and forth from no change to 1/10 tenth as the whole mile number changes. From my calcs the no change in the trip decimal occurs about every 5 miles.

All I can suggest is that the other odometers you've observed used the raw data to generate the miles numbers and separately the kilometer numbers, or generated miles numbers only.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Fatcycledaddy, I see by your map you have been in Utah. If you drove I-80 between Salt Lake City and Wendover, NV you found a straight flat "BORING" stretch of freeway going across the salt flats. If you did not drive that part
    2020 Spyder RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Chrome

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KenF View Post
    Fatcycledaddy, I see by your map you have been in Utah. If you drove I-80 between Salt Lake City and Wendover, NV you found a straight flat "BORING" stretch of freeway going across the salt flats. If you did not drive that part
    We have been to Utah three times, two on the Spider with the camper and once on the Yamaha Venture with camper, and have always loved it. We hardly ever run the interstates, its back roads and byways for us. I got some info from UtahPete on some great places to ride and visit the last time we were there.
    We will not be out there in 2021, but Lord willing we plan on being back there in 2022.
    2021 will be black hills, bear tooth hwy, and more northern Rockies again.
    We followed the river from Grand Junction CO down towards Moab, and did Arches the first two times. Last time there because of all the flooding in MO, we took a southernly route down through parts of NM and up into Hurricane.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Ya know.... in all honesty, if they can’t build a simple clock that keeps time how could we expect the odometers to work properly. Don’t get me wrong, we LOVE both of our Spyders but it’s the little things like that on VERY expensive machines!
    Maybe it's a metric clock?!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red