Spyder Garage

Default Brake light came on for a few seconds and brakes are acting normally.

On a recent ride (most likely last one of the year) it was about 50 degrees and about five miles from home I came to a stop at an intersection. The screen said brake failure and the warning light came on like the parking brake was on. I had come to a complete stop. Light went out right away and I went on my way. About two miles later the light show repeated. Again this time I was approaching a stop sign and had applied the brake. Lights went out again and I continued my trip about five more miles and stopped for ten minutes to visit a friend. On my way home about ten miles nothing went wrong. This is a 2012 RTs with about 17,000 miles. I've had NO problems with the bike in the six years that I've owned her. It had about 3,200 miles on when I got it six years ago.

Could it be that the brakes we just cold? Could it be that the brake lining is aging and needs to be replaced? ANY suggestions. THANK YOU.

Spyder Garage

You MAY just be a tad low on brake fluid in one of the brake fluid reservoirs. I have had this happen twice and from what I understand from other discussions on this occurring, it only takes a tablespoon or two being low to trigger this. There are supposedly sensors inside the reservoirs.

This occurs as the brake pads wear down and the fluid level drops accordingly.

Hopefully, that is what may be occurring to you.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Arnie is correct. When was the last time you changed or had the brake fluid flushed and refilled? I doubt the problem is related to cold brakes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

For sure check fluid & flush every 2years. Only DOT4 fluid please do not mix other DOT levels

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with everybody above ..... be careful when adding .... Brake fluid is almost as strong as Acid, so if you spill .... dose with water .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most likely as you were braking the fluid moved toward the front of the reservoir, just enough to trigger a low fluid warning. I had this sort of thing happen. I parked on a slight downhill. When I started out the warning light was on. After I stopped on the level and turned the bike off, and then back on, the warning went away. It doesn't take much of a forward movement of the fluid to be low at the sensor when the reservoir level is a bit low.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Be sure to orient the caps correctly when you put them back on. Vents point towards the rear.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s