Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I wasn't aware of any modular helmets that met Snell testing.
    Correct you’ll have to pivot to ECE helmets or just DOT

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBCHIEF View Post
    Getting ready to start riding my 2020 RTlimited, putting together the necessary and nice things to have. When it comes to the helmet, wife and I haven’t decided with which style is preferred while still being safe. Understand that full is the safest but it does limits your side visibility somewhat but the Bluetooth is nice, and the open or 3/4 lets you experience the ride better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv2zjC8fzrI
    Check this out.

Spyder Garage

Another vote modular full face with shade visor built in (don’t use it everyday, great when forget shades)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Snell testing is primarily for race car drivers. I have known DOT only helmets to do a great job of brain bucket protection.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Snell testing is primarily for race car drivers. I have known DOT only helmets to do a great job of brain bucket protection.
    I haven't kept up with the testing, but some years back there were testers who considered the Snell as too harsh
    for regular crash events, and said the DOT was actually a better test for everyday usage. It had to do with the amount
    of force that was allowed with Snell vs DOT. But that was some years back and Snell testing may have changed since
    then.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

A Snell/DOT helmet has more padding, thus it is a larger helmet.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I have that issue also, so we went with 3/4 helmets. We road snowmobiles for years with 3/4 helmets so that is what we were use to. And DW has some neck issues from years ago, and we gave up snowmobiling because of the jarring the rider can get on a snowmobile. The Spyder does not seem to have the issue. Being tall, I would like the 28" windshield, however they are a bit pricey.
    Check out F4 Customs blemish page. I just got one of his (stock height, wide, vented, tinted) for about $100 less than retail because it has a blemish. Darned if I can tell where it is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Neotech 2 is a little heavier and more expensive.

Bluetooth can be added to any helmet you decide on. Cardo & Sena are the leaders of late.
    The Shoei Neotech 2 is very heavy when compared to other modular (4# .5 ounces) but it doesn't feel like it. I've ridden with it on my melon for 300 mile days and never felt that it was heavy. My HJC RPHA 90 is about a 1/2 pound lighter but it FEELS heavier. Difference in aerodynamics, I guess.

Some helmets don't play well with aftermarket BT headsets. My Neotech 2 is one good example of that. It's made for the proprietary SRL system and due to the way it's made, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to mount something else. The good news is that the SRL system works pretty good.

Spyder Garage

I installed a Sena 20S on to a Shoei Neotec II. The device went over the black panel w/o much fussing.

Spyder Garage

This is FortNine , he makes some very informative video's .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLj9WfoWPSQ
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Some helmets don't play well with aftermarket BT headsets. My Neotech 2 is one good example of that. It's made for the proprietary SRL system and due to the way it's made, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to mount something else. The good news is that the SRL system works pretty good.
    Tell me about it. I fit a J&M wired headset into my Neotec 2 but it was a royal pain. Looks like it too, a cobbled up mess! But it works, and that is what matters!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post
    This is FortNine , he makes some very informative video's .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLj9WfoWPSQ
    FortNine has a lot of good info, watched a few videos after I randomly stumbled across their channel a while back.

I use a Modular (“LS2” brand, DOT+ECE cert), and Full Face (“Shoei”, DOT+Snell), and bounce between them.
    Both with old Sena20s comm’s models attached. The Sena’s are my MUST HAVE. I don’t ride without them. Period.
    Personally, the difference in riding enjoyment is night and day. Again, just my opinion though.
    The Sena 50s (or maybe 50r) will be a 2021 pickup, some nice improvements over what I have now.

Back to pure Helmets...
    Its not as protective, but I still prefer Modular, and I expect to be using Modular going foward in future helmet pickups. ...God willing.
    I’ve seen videos of bad crashes, and seen some horrible damage... met 2 crash survivors as well.
    You’d think I’d choose differently... buuuut... Nope!
    One day, I’ll be RICZ and respect my pietaster a little more...

+1 on the earlier advice to go somewhere with lots of ready selection.
    And take your time trying them on, if you can. Remember— this will be your newest best closest friend, for many many miles.
    Took me 2 trips (trying on about 7 or 8 helmets, total) before the feel/protection/weight/price was right.

I know it sounds twisted but... While I was trying on helmets for fit & protection,
    I tried envisioning myself getting slammed by a SUV when I had it on. Proved to be a very helpful mindset in eliminating the
    WOW this looks good on me” helmets vs the “I could walk away afterwards...” helmets.

And I couldn’t agree more on having an integrated Sun Visor.
    preferably with good UV protection (box might reference “UV400”, or blocks out UVA, or blocks our UVA/UVB, or similar).
    All that tint is worthless if your letting in the UV rays burnout your retina’s.
    Some have extra visors with UVA/UVB blockers available from that vendor, but may not come with it.

And as always, grab some ‘CatCrap’ Anti-Fog Cleaner, & keep a microfiber cloth stashed on your Ryde!

Good hunting out there!
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion modular helmet that has a removable chin bar. I like this style since I can rotate between full face or 3/4 depending upon my needs/wants.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I have a Scorpion modular helmet that has a removable chin bar. I like this style since I can rotate between full face or 3/4 depending upon my needs/wants.
    Does it meet DOT/ECE standards?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A DOT rating is critial otherwise it's just one of those novelty plastic brain buckets shaped like a bowl or a German WW2 helmet or some such. ECE/SNELL aren't as important and are NEVER found on a 1/2 or 3/4 lid and rarely found on a modular. One of the problems with ECE/SNELL ratings is that they're not "true" ratings. They're subjective as there aren't VERY specific testing parameters. Also, DOT/ECE/SNELL are pass/fail tests. The DOT/ECE/SNELL rated lid you're about to buy may have barely passed the testing process or may have excelled at it. The cheapest, most basic, most flimsy "legal" 1/2 lid will have a DOT sticker on it. That doesn't mean it offer any real protection. All of this is one reason why I tend to disregard a DOT/ECE/SNELL sticker on a helmet.

The newest helmet ratings are FIM and SHARP. Both are relatively new. I'd be surprised to see a FIM rated lid on much of anything outside a pure race helmet (since that's why it was created).

All that being said, fit is more important than specific rating. Assuming a DOT (or other) rating, a cheap WELL FITTING lid will protect better than an expensive ILL FITTING lid.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, at one time Snell did test and approve 3/4 helmets, and I had a couple Bells that were Snell rated. I think they continued
    up into this century, but couldn't swear to it.

I had no idea that Snell had ever rated a modular helmet.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I am of the “if your number’s up, it’s up”, camp. I can’t find it now, but I saw a recent post of a guy talking about the gear he wore, and why. He had relatives with 2 differing helmet experiences....
    The first, his father (or possibly father-in-law), was nudged out of his lane, separated from his bike, and flew across the median strip. He was wearing a half helmet and t-shirt. He suffered very bad road rash, but no facial/head injuries.
    Then, he had a cousin wearing a full face, who was involved in an accident with a truck. A star picket came loose from the truck and went straight through his full face, killing him instantly.
    Every crash is different. Do your research, determine the level of risk you are prepared to take, and wear what you are most comfortable wearing. I wear a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 as the helmet wraps around the jaw more than many 3/4 helmets, and despite earlier comments to the contrary, it does indeed give better peripheral vision that my Shoei Neotec, which I no longer wear.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I am of the “if your number’s up, it’s up”, camp. I can’t find it now, but I saw a recent post of a guy talking about the gear he wore, and why. He had relatives with 2 differing helmet experiences....
    The first, his father (or possibly father-in-law), was nudged out of his lane, separated from his bike, and flew across the median strip. He was wearing a half helmet and t-shirt. He suffered very bad road rash, but no facial/head injuries.
    Then, he had a cousin wearing a full face, who was involved in an accident with a truck. A star picket came loose from the truck and went straight through his full face, killing him instantly.
    Every crash is different. Do your research, determine the level of risk you are prepared to take, and wear what you are most comfortable wearing. I wear a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 as the helmet wraps around the jaw more than many 3/4 helmets, and despite earlier comments to the contrary, it does indeed give better peripheral vision that my Shoei Neotec, which I no longer wear.

Pete
    Luck beats skill (or preparation) every time. But you can't count on it. You simply increase your odds by wearing better gear. It's not a guarantee. After 33 years in the fire service where we ran a much higher rate of medical aids than fires, I've settled on a quality, full face helmet. This chart is only statistics. But seeing these statistics play out in the real world definitely got my attention. Physics are not negotiable.

The yellow area is essentially what you lose in protection with a 3/4 helmet. You actually lose a bit more because the 3/4 doesn't cover quite as much at the bottom as a full face. This constitutes sacrificing over 45% of the protection afforded by a full face helmet.

HelmetImpactChart.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

CBCHIEF you are finding out how passionate people are about their choice in helmets. Here's my backstory and what I wear now...

In 1980 I had a C30 dump truck pull out in front of my 1979 HD. I woke up two weeks later in an ICU with among other issues a tracheotomy, fractured mandible, missing teeth, and a concussion.
    I wasn't wearing a helmet. I still deal with issues from that event.

Today I wear a Shuberth C3 modular helmet, a riding jacket with armor, boots and motorcycle gloves.
    In essence I'm an all the gear all the time rider. (ATGATT)
    I don't care in the least what other think. Conversely, I don't comment or lecture them for what they wear or don't wear.

Everyday we go through life playing the odds.
    Powerball is up, I may just have a chance...

130DF556-D62F-4203-8577-50F4C384E38F.jpg
    F3S
    Black, with black stuff on it.

Spyder Garage

I swear all my 3/4 helmets over the years were to Just" Keep my earbuds in" but I haven't had to use one yet and I still need them to keep my earbuds in Soo their not going anywhere.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I wear a Modular GMax 54 for head and face protection. ATGATT.

My previous Fulmer 3/4 was destroyed when I went down in a headon incident with a driver texting.
    Note the shield and side of the helmet.
    IMG_0072.jpgIMG_0070.jpgIMG_0076.jpg
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Always had a full face helmet, even in MotoX days, but the 1st time I saw the modular I was keen.

I like the full face protection it provides, and the fact I can pop up the chin piece for negotiating things like getting optic glasses, sunny's on. Its also a godsend when you ride with mates who spend half the trip away "getting ready to go" on hot days, I can at least open the chin piece to give them a gentle gee up - mates some days ya love em, some days you wish you have to try hard not to leave em behind
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Part of what we do as motorcyclist is mitigate the risk of riding when we wear the gear. I wear all the gear all the time. You have to decide how much risk you want to take in the type of gear you wear. If your comfortable with no gear go for it or find the level of gear you are comfortable with and wear that. When buying any gear check the fit and comfort as you could be wearing it for hours.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

I would like to point out, contrary to the belief held by many, a rider's decision as to how much protection he/she wears does NOT have consequences ONLY for the rider. If a rider has no or inadequate PPE and ends up in a crash, the medical and or funeral effects can impact many other people. If he is fortunate enough to survive with good medical care the cost of that care is placed onto every person who pays an insurance premium, or in the case of the uninsured, by a share of taxes spent to take care of the uninsured. If the person survives, but is permanently disabled, the burden of taking care of him can sometimes be horrendous, and always hard on someone. If the rider is killed that often can have severe impact on those left behind. Children might be left without a parent, or a spouse left alone. Even if the deceased has life insurance that is no guarantee the economic impact won't be significant on the family. It is indeed a rare person whose demise leaves no lasting impact on others.

When the first frontiersman entered the wilds of the west he could pretty well live as he damn well pleased. But as soon as the second frontiersman moved in, his personal freedom began to be curtailed. The more people you interact with, the less freedom you have to live as you damn well please.

Remember, personal freedom of choice NEVER trumps personal responsibility. If you want to live with absolute total freedom to live as you want, go find a desolate island somewhere where you will be the sole occupant.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

We are starting to digress from the OP original subject.

Is is getting time to close the thread??

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red