Spyder Garage

Default Installing the LaMonster F3 Fog Lights - Mike Mas

Let me just begin this review - with the statement; “When you’re on a bike - you need to be as visual as you can”. The problem with the Spyder head lights is they are very close to each other, so at night from a distance, Your Spyder might easily be mistaken for just a street or porch light to on coming cars. Bottom line you can’t get enough lights on a bike and thanks to LaMonster, fog lights are now much more affordable.

As most Spyder owners know - the folks at the LaMonster Garage put our quality products at a reasonable price. While of course BRP offers a set of fog lights for the F3 models as well - they are at nearly twice the price. The LaMonster fog light set are built better, brighter and most important less expensive.

After placing my order online, in 3 days they arrived. Upon opening the box and pulling the light set out, you’ll instantly get the feeling this set is best termed “Bullet-Proof” LaMonster over engineered the lights with super thick mounting base and hardware. In fact, since the lights mount on a fairly thin plastic frame in the bike, the mounting plate could have been half the thickness and still provide a good secure mount. Anyhow, they are not coming off until you un-bolt them.

Installation - The installation begins by removing the two large side panels on the F3. Don’t be concerned, these are easily removed by just removing 4 hex heads screws - two in the front and two on the rear.

In addition to the hex screws, there is some plastic retainers located under the removable panels on each side of the F3.

Fog lamp Covers - Next, you’ll want to remove the factory fog light plastic covers by removing the one hex screw on each panel.

Lamp Wiring - The part i like best is there is no cutting splicing or self-wiring of any kind. The fog light installation is straight forward. Since BRP anticipated selling you their light set, the bike is pre-wired. Just behind the fog light compartment you’ll find a water-proof wire harness and with a cap - remove the cap and the LaMonster fog light set plugs right in the original wiring harness.

Installing the Lights
    - The lights are easily installed thanks to the beefy powder coated metal bases and supplied hardware. Note there is a right and left fog light in the set. LaMonster tagged each fixture since they are preset to a fixed (but adjustable) pattern. Keep in mind, right and left is determined while your sitting on the bike - so right is the “Starboard” side of your vessel lol.

Power Switch - The installation is completed by installing the power switch - again BRP was graceful enough to run the wire up to the right side of the ignition switch. The ignition switch panel is removed by grabbing the outer ring and turning it counter-clockwise a half turn.

Behind the panel the fog light wire is clipped on to the plug - carefully remove it and remove the blank plug and install the “supplied” fog light power switch and secure it with the nut. Next, plug in the the power wire and re-install the switch panel. Keep in mind there is two tabs on the panel that hook in the rear.

I recommend while you have the panels off to try the lights to make sure everything is plugged in and ready to go, Keep in mind, you’ll have to start the engine to turn the lights on.

Completing the Installation - Your fog light installation is completed by re-installing the right and left body panels and the two inspection panels.

You will find this fog light set is super bright and will provide additional light for driving as well as add a greater visual signature to other drivers. In simple terms you’ll be more visual than you were with the stock lights.

In conclusion - LaMonster as always did a great job in providing a good solid product that works, plus you have the added benefit of someone to call or email should you encounter any questions. I found all the materials to be first class with no modifying or cutting what so ever. The whole installation only takes an hour or so.

Congrats to LaMonster for a nice upgrade path!

Regards- Mike Mas
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

I also bought these. And they are an amazing product.

You need his led lights now to get white headlights haha.

I just want to add as well.

I found with the fog lights installed they almost looked unfinished.

So I took the black inserts and used a 2" hole saw and cut out the center of the blank inserts.

I measured 1.25" in to find the center of the insert and then installed them back on the bike. This is now the finished product.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Stiffler LOL you're right - after I fired up the fogs, those yellow head lights made me a bit ill. Its a shame that BRP would not just charge us a bit more and install LEDS!

Thanks!
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Agreed. And the install for a headlight on these F3's are ridiculous to change. Took me 2 hours to change the headlights and 20 mins to change the fog lights.

Haha

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Yeah I love the your fogs trimmed out - why is it so difficult for the headlamp change out?
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

You need to take all the top end parts off to get at them.

Side fenders and plastic above come off. Windscreen comes off. Speedo cluster comes off to make it easier.

Alot of parts to come off to get at them. Would be hard to change a light in a parking lot.

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Whoo that does not sound like fun - guess I'll have to wait for one to burn out before i tackle it. LOL
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

But thanks to Lamont.. Great products!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Those are great lights. Strongly recommend. Idleup, that is one fine looking machine you got there. I like the color.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Nice writeup and review! I have them on order and waiting for delivery. I can't wait to install them. I would have gotten the LED headlights as well, but I already had these LED lights that I purchased from Xenon Depot for my 2016 SkiDoo Blizzard. http://www.xenondepot.com/H4-Xtreme-.../xt-led-h4.htm
    They are the exact same H4 LED kit that is used for the Canam Spyder. I called Xenon Depot to confirm this. I never installed these on my SkiDoo. They were just too much of a pain to install on my sled, because of limited space in the headlight assembly and glove box area where I would have had to do some modifications. However on the F3T they went in place relatively easy. The install was the same procedure as the Lamonster LED kit, except that the heat sink on the Xenon depot LEDS have copper strapping attached to the LEDs instead of a twist on heat sink. I like these LED headlights and they are at a good price. If I didn't already have the Xenon Depot LED lights, the Lamonster LED head light kit would have been a good choice as well.
    Last edited by vtrider; 09-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    I also bought these. And they are an amazing product.

You need his led lights now to get white headlights haha.

I just want to add as well.

I found with the fog lights installed they almost looked unfinished.

So I took the black inserts and used a 2" hole saw and cut out the center of the blank inserts.

I measured 1.25" in to find the center of the insert and then installed them back on the bike. This is now the finished product.

Stiff

Cutting out the inserts has a real nice "finished" look. I think I need to do that.

I installed Lamonts LED fog lights and headlights on both of our F3 Limiteds. It's well worth the time and money.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Cutting out the inserts has a real nice "finished" look. I think I need to do that.

I installed Lamonts LED fog lights and headlights on both of our F3 Limiteds. It's well worth the time and money.
    One thing to remember. Use a 2" hole saw. And insert does not go over the fog light. It sits a bit in front of it. So no need to ream the hole to make sure it fit over.

If you do that you will get a bit of a gap like I do.

Stiff

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I just did it, rather than cutting out the blanks (not entirely by choice, I shattered one with a hole saw) I ordered the BRP heatshields which also allowed me room to mount the Lamonster Fog Rings for even more light. At less then ten bucks each the Heatshields are a nominal investment. The results are even dressier than just eh foglights with the blanks cut out.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the fog lights as well, nice write up. Hope it goes smooth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    I just did it, rather than cutting out the blanks (not entirely by choice, I shattered one with a hole saw) I ordered the BRP heatshields which also allowed me room to mount the Lamonster Fog Rings for even more light. At less then ten bucks each the Heatshields are a nominal investment. The results are even dressier than just eh foglights with the blanks cut out.
    I'm open to suggestions. Can you post a pic of your final mod?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    You should have no problem. It's a very easy install.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Have some pics on look and what heat shields do you mean. Lol

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default Photos of my installation

I'm open to suggestions. Can you post a pic of your final mod?

The first two are lights off, the second two are lights on. I think the Fog Rings dress things up.

Spyder Garage

Default Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    The biggest thing to remember is to use hand Torx drivers to replace the screws, it's really easy to cross-thread the brass inserts with a power driver.

Spyder Garage

The first two are lights off, the second two are lights on. I think the Fog Rings dress things up.
    I can't seem to find the heat shields you are referring to. Where did you get them?

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that this post is 4+ years ago..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue