Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Helmets - which style do you prefer & why?

Getting ready to start riding my 2020 RTlimited, putting together the necessary and nice things to have. When it comes to the helmet, wife and I haven’t decided with which style is preferred while still being safe. Understand that full is the safest but it does limits your side visibility somewhat but the Bluetooth is nice, and the open or 3/4 lets you experience the ride better.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Full Helmet

I have always been a fan of the 'Full Face Helmet'. This is because of the best head protection. The clothing that you wear is also very important for your Ryde protection. Remember good quality boots and gloves.

Remember that the 'cagers' sometimes don't 'See' us, till it's over.

Ryde Safe and Enjoy your Time. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If you can find a nice full face that has good ventilation, it is the safest, and if you have communicators yes they will work good also!! It's really a matter of personal preference, myself and my wife wear a 3/4 helmet, our friends wear 1/2 helmets!! We have head sets in our helmets they work fine. It's all about what your comfortable with!!! Good Luck, ride safe!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBCHIEF View Post
    Understand that full is the safest but it does limits your side visibility somewhat
    Untrue...DOT-certified helmets are required to provide 180 degree or better visibility...most are closer to 190 degrees. You can't do much better than that without a helmet on!
    Besides, all you'll really see at that point is some movement, but no capability to discern WHAT is moving, WHERE it is moving, or whether it is a threat.

There are Bluetooth setups for both 3/4 and half helmets as well as for Full-face.

Bottom line, IMO, is...try a few different ones, get what you are comfortable with, and....KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL. Ryde Safely!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kind of a tough call. The full face/modular offers more protection, but weighs more. The 3/4 helmet offers a "freer"
    feel, but doesn't protect your face. With the wind protection offered by the Spyder, a full face/modular helmet isn't
    really necessary for the wind protection. And you're less likely to have your ride interrupted by falling down on the Spyder.

A half-helmet might be okay for a bicycle, but if you're going to wear a helmet on a motorized conveyance, wear a real one.

I prefer the modular helmets, love being able to flip up the front when stopping for a few minutes, and I wear glasses.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Thanks, leaning towards a full face.

Spyder Garage

Full face helmet for me!

Personally I value the safety aspect of it. I would not want anything less than a full face helmet in an event like the one posted here:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...e-for-the-team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both 3/4 and modular lids. For the most part, 3/4 lids are a little cooler in summer but don't offer the protection of a modular or full face. I'm claustrophobic so I can't wear a full face. Modular is the next best thing. As others have said, a lid is a personal choice. Whatever you choose to wear is up to you.

Spyder Garage

Modular helmets have become much lighter in the last couple years. They are the best of both worlds - safer than 1/2 or 3/4 and great if you need to sneeze or get air at a stop. If you are unfortunate to ever 'need' head protection in a get-off, note that the highest % of contact to the ground/obstruction is the lower front (chin area). A 3/4 will most likely lead to 'facial alteration'. The least contact is the top of your head.
    Klim has the lightest modular currently. Neotach 2 is a little heavier and more expensive. HJC & Nolan also has good mods. I ride year-round and the modulars are clearly the most functional with slightly less 'safety' than full-face. As stated above, you really need gloves, boots, & armor jacket/pants to complete the package.

Bluetooth can be added to any helmet you decide on. Cardo & Sena are the leaders of late.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have a modular and a half helmet. I prefer a 3/4 helmet and that is what I wore for years. I had an incident where the only thing that protected my face was the windshield on my Venture. I tried wearing a full face but it was claustrophobic for me,but being able to raise the front up removes that for me. You should go to a place that has several different brands and styles of helmets and try on several. This is a very personal decision and one that will affect your enjoyment of your ride as well as your safety,besides being expensive.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I have both 3/4 and modular lids. For the most part, 3/4 lids are a little cooler in summer but don't offer the protection of a modular or full face. I'm claustrophobic so I can't wear a full face. Modular is the next best thing. As others have said, a lid is a personal choice. Whatever you choose to wear is up to you.
    I have that issue also, so we went with 3/4 helmets. We road snowmobiles for years with 3/4 helmets so that is what we were use to. And DW has some neck issues from years ago, and we gave up snowmobiling because of the jarring the rider can get on a snowmobile. The Spyder does not seem to have the issue. Being tall, I would like the 28" windshield, however they are a bit pricey.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

From spring to late fall our temperature really fluctuates. My best helmet is what I call a convertible helmet. It has two pieces that come off the that change the size of the helmet from a full-face all the way to a half. Believe me when it’s 110 but half helmet is so much better than a full. Plus you can hear better.

Spyder Garage

First of all, let me say that we will never ride without the use of a helmet. We live where it is very hot in the summer, and can have weeks of 90 - 100+ degrees. Full safety gear is recommended, but not doable for us. Added to the package are gloves, good jeans, and riding boots. Jackets do not get worn in that kind of temperature either.

Linda is claustrophobic, and cannot tolerate a full face helmet. We gravitated to Nolan Modular and last summer Bell/Mag 9-Sena. These would be considered 3/4 helmets by most. It is a personal choice, and this is what we do. When it is hot enough, we leave the face plates open for ventilation.

Freeway driving when done, gets a mesh jacket added, regardless of temp.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

IMHO, freeway is the safest place to ride since everyone is going the same direction and there are no driveways or cross streets.
    The few times I 'used' my safety gear was always on the back roads where deer, sand, or pebbles came into play.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post

A half-helmet might be okay for a bicycle, but if you're going to wear a helmet on a motorized conveyance, wear a real one.
    I resent that remark. All DOT approved helmets are real helmets. Don't try to line your pockets with gold as that is your preference to wear a full face helmet. Its a personnel choice and you should not call half and 3/4 helmets that are DOT approved, not REAL HELMETS

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

May be helpful when deciding on your protection level.
    https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....l-face-helmet/

Helmet zones.jpg

Spyder Garage

Helmets and protection levels that various types provide are a personal choice. Let's make sure to respect that. All the information is good though, IMO.

PS. I have been riding motorcycles since the early 60's and always worn a helmet. So far, have never had to use one for the purpose intended. Just turned 75.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I resent that remark. All DOT approved helmets are real helmets. Don't try to line your pockets with gold as that is your preference to wear a full face helmet. Its a personnel choice and you should not call half and 3/4 helmets that are DOT approved, not REAL HELMETS
    I don't build or sell helmets so "Don't try to line your pockets with gold..." has no meaning here. I'm voicing my opinion, and you are certainly free to resent my
    opinion. But I have seen the results of helmet damage, and a half-helmet would have been useless in the motorcycle accident results I've seen in person. I also
    have seen the results of bicycle wrecks and helmet damage, and the helmets did their job at those relatively slow get offs, 20 mph crashes and under.

What you wear is indeed a personal choice, whether the helmet is satisfactory is not choice, it's fact. And the fact is half helmets give very little protection.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Possibly more insane than most, I've used my lids due to an ice patch on crowned road, sand in a curve, and a T-boned kamikaze deer and walked away un-hurt each time. Helmet contacts were side, lower front side, & side. I'm certain anything less than a mod or full-face would have had a different result. Since getting the spyder I've managed to stay abroard. You can repair broken bones but brains are single-use items.

Spyder Garage

If you have a $39 head then get a $39 helmet! Don't buy a helmet just because its a bargain. Buy the best fitting best rated that you can afford

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Helmets and protection levels that various types provide are a personal choice. Let's make sure to respect that. All the information is good though, IMO.

PS. I have been riding motorcycles since the early 60's and always worn a helmet. So far, have never had to use one for the purpose intended. Just turned 75.
    I have also been riding since the early 60's with some breaks along the way. In the late 70's I was riding a 350 Honda thumber on a power line grave road and went off the side on it in a big dip and went head first into the brush, and my body came to a sudden stop when my helmet met a large boulder in the brush. It was a direct hit between the top center of the helmet and the boulder. Thank god I had the helmet on, as I was riding by myself and it might have been a long time before someone found my body laying there in the brush. And I am 76 years old now thanks to the helmet that day.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default This is your best choice

Quote Originally Posted by CBCHIEF View Post
    Getting ready to start riding my 2020 RTlimited, putting together the necessary and nice things to have. When it comes to the helmet, wife and I haven’t decided with which style is preferred while still being safe. Understand that full is the safest but it does limits your side visibility somewhat but the Bluetooth is nice, and the open or 3/4 lets you experience the ride better.
    SENA has Both a QUALITY Helmet and with built in Blue Tooth
    The SENA OutRush is a great choice to own AND they are on SALE RIGHT NOW

give me a call 209-887-3283
    OUTRUSH SENA's MODULAR HELMET.jpg
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 11-28-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

In my 68 years of riding, I have known riders who have had go-downs. Some with half helmets got cracked sculls. my brother being one. Some with open face got broken jaws. Those will full face had no head injuries.
    I enjoy talking and eating so I wear full face and for the past few years, a modular, the best of two worlds. The wife and I have Shoei Neotecs equipped with Sena 20S Bluetooth communicators. The Neotec is relatively light and very comfortable. And venting and vision could not be better.
    Go to a Cycle Gear store ad try them. Different bands fit different heads.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I’m an advocate of full face helmets either ECE/DOT or Snell/DOT rated. Since buying a Spyder I found that I need to take my helmet off to back the Spyder into the garage so I just purchased a AGV Carbon Sport Modular which works perfectly and is feather-lite. Not a fan of a DOT only rated helmet.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't aware of any modular helmets that met Snell testing.
    Peggy and Howard