Spyder Garage

Default Spyder stage 2 tune

Has anyone gotten a stage 2 tune on the Spyder, if so, I would appreciate your thoughts, good and bad. I’m thinking about getting one on my RT Limited from (Monsterfuelinjection. Thanks.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Gunner. There are some here that have the stage II up grade and everyone that has gotten it seems to like it. I'm sure some will speak and let you know what they like the most and maybe not like. Some have also gotten the stage I up grade. While you wait for replies you can do a search of the forum for past discussion by using the search box at the top right side of the page.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks Copperspyder I’ll search

Spyder Garage

I searched around some, but didn’t get much still open for your thoughts on stage 1 or 2 tunes.

Spyder Garage

Hello Gunner,
    I've had a stage one tune on my '14 RTS for about a year and it's GREAT. Best performance bang for the buck. I'm sure the stage2 is good too. Pulls strongly from low revs and puts a big smile on my face. BUT-------- It's not my V-Max.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I've done the Stage 1 tune on the 2015 RTL I used to own and the 2020 RTL I currently own. It was well worth it for the performance upgrade. I commute on my Spyder daily and ride the mountain twisties a lot. The greatly improved throttle response works very well when needing to do traffic avoidance maneuvers, and in the hills too! Can be hard on the rear tire, though. Keep in mind that if you upgrade, you pretty much HAVE to use premium fuel only, and the Stage 2 absolutely requires it.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your reply’s I’m convinced, I’m going forward with the stage 2. I’m planning on using Monsterfuelinjection, who did yours? Did you also do the cat delete? If so I’ve seen different ones advertised some without a baffle, some with and some with a removable baffle. I’ve also heard some say they bought the Pedal Commander to go along with the stage 2. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Had the stage 2 done late last spring, couldn't be happier. The difference in performance is night and day, would do it again in a heart beat. I also used Monsterfuelinjection, fast and dependable service. Yes you will have to use premium fuel and you may want to open up your exhaust for best performance. I added a K&N filter, and Two Brothers exhaust with cat delete and no baffles.

Spyder Garage

yes i did it to my 2012 spyder and i love it. Plus i took the stock air box out and replaced it with the JT's air box so it can breath.

Spyder Garage

Is this all 'feel and sound' or has someone dyno tested the upgrades?
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Thanks for your reply’s I’m convinced, I’m going forward with the stage 2. I’m planning on using Monsterfuelinjection, who did yours? Did you also do the cat delete? If so I’ve seen different ones advertised some without a baffle, some with and some with a removable baffle. I’ve also heard some say they bought the Pedal Commander to go along with the stage 2. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    I have the Stage II....combined with the pedal commander...its a blast..I have a RLS cat delete with no baffle so the tune can breathe..you will love the tune.

Spyder Garage

You will love the tune. I would recommend using wick-it performance to do it. They do monster tune and your ECU stays in CONUS.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thx I’ll ck out Wick-it Monday morning.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Is this all 'feel and sound' or has someone dyno tested the upgrades?
    Although I don't have a ECU flash, I do have a DynoJet Power Vision 3 with a custom map. It is more than "feel and sound". Air/fuel ratio's and timing are all optimized. The machine not only has better performance, I also get better mpg's. That said, dyno maps are hard to come by with Spyders, as they're just not dyno friendly for fitment

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Although I don't have a ECU flash, I do have a DynoJet Power Vision 3 with a custom map.
    I'm considering going down this path. How do you determine which tune file to use from the several listed on the PV3 site? Or did you create your own?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Got my ECM back Thursday 11/27/20 had the stage 2 done on my 2013 RT-S 998 v-twin & couldn't be happier. Should've come from factory this way!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm considering going down this path. How do you determine which tune file to use from the several listed on the PV3 site? Or did you create your own?
    The program will pick your map based upon the stock tune you load. I bought my PV3 from FuelMoto USA (sale on now). Being only 100 miles away, I rode up there and they data logged/built my tune.
    https://www.fuelmotousa.com/

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Are there drawbacks to doing these different tunes, such as shorten engine life, over revving, etc? My 2013 RTL has decent pick up speed but seems to peek at about 6000rpm or so. The speedo goes to 200mph but mine seems to not want to go faster than about 75mph in 5th gear.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT-S has over 65k miles so I felt now was a good time for a performance improvement. The remap was cheaper than a new bike with (1330) and since resale on my 2013 is probably low why not just go for it. Very happy with the results!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Are there drawbacks to doing these different tunes, such as shorten engine life, over revving, etc? My 2013 RTL has decent pick up speed but seems to peek at about 6000rpm or so. The speedo goes to 200mph but mine seems to not want to go faster than about 75mph in 5th gear.
    Actually, the speedo goes up to 220 KILOMETRES per hour, and you'll probably find you can't get too much over 100-110 mph even with an awfully looong road on a stock tune AND the throttle bodies are programmed to start easing things off and slowing your rate of acceleration beyond about that 6000 rpm range anyway!!

But if you get your ECU upgraded & the throttle body limits eased in the process, 220 Kph/140-ish Mph is quite achievable.... (& btw, the digital speedo does read beyond that! ) BUT, at least for me anyway, achieving the ultimate top speed every time I ryde isn't really the point - it's the ultimate fun & enjoyment I get to have all the rest of the time & in all the rest of my ryding - and the ECU Upgrade has made that Sooo much greater!!

Since it got it's ECU Upgrade, my 2013 RTL now has MUCH BETTER than JUST 'decent pick-up', and it's no slouch in any conditions you are likely to encounter on the road during your 'normal' &/or daily ryding, even if it might lose out juuuust a little during Speed Week out on the salt flats!! And besides, it's fairly heavy by comparison to most bikes and it's got this vast slab of air it hasta push ahead of it, so once that sorta stuff really starts coming into play as things get closer to triple digit miles per hour, anything with those features will find it hasta work a little harder - altho not much can keep up with me until then, even fewer can out brake me, and for the majority, I'm just a set of rapidly disappearing tailights ahead of them, especially in the twisties with lotsa shorter straights!!

And all this has been achieved within the 'reliability & reasonable longevity' output limits used by this very same powerplant in some of its other applications, where they manage to perform at that level for an awfully long time - they come to us fairly significantly de-tuned & restrained direct from the factory, and an ECU Upgrade can release some if not all of the potential output that those other applications get without overly stressing things or significantly shortening its potential life, altho it still can't protect you from everything &/or provide an iron-clad guarantee - there's just too much scope for the vagaries of life to step in.

Go on, DO IT!! You know you want to!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Great description of the benefits from Peter, above. I sent my ECU off to Jase at ECU Xtreme here in Oz, with the prime requirement being a crisper throttle response and to remove any “bogging down” if I am a gear higher(lower?) than I should be. Jase upgraded it to a stage 2 tune, but kept the rev limiter lower than the normal stage 2 limit. I’m not a hoon like Aawen . I have not had to make any mods to air, exhaust or anything else, and it performs like a dream. Unfortunately, I should have asked why he went to stage 2, rather than 1, but I didn’t. If I do go ahead with an upgrade in the next couple of months, I’ll be getting Jase to mod the ECU on either my new 20 F3 of RT as my second mod (comfortable, longer seat and highway pegs first).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I did the stage 2 upgrade, and Cat Delete...couldn't be happier. I still have stock muffler, and the difference is lake day and night.
    I had mine done in Shreveport LA, (Wickit). I would recommend it to anyone wanting a performance upgrade. Oh and the start feature
    not having to wait is wonderful.