Spyder Garage

Default On a scale of 1-10 LED upgrade

Greetings

I have watched Lamonster’s video on the LED headlight upgrade. I’m a little nervous on removing the top panel to get access to the headlight housing screws.

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is this upgrade?

I have done the LED fog lights, piece of cake.

I have the panels off for winter hibernation and thought maybe I’d upgrade the headlights since I’m almost there.

Thank you for your help now and in the past.

ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are at least somewhat mechanically inclined and pay attention to details, it's no problem at all. You DO have to remove quite a few panels, just make sure you get the right screws back into the right holes when you put it all back together.

There are mixed feelings here about the LED "upgrade". I also got the LaMonster kit (including the fog lights) and really appreciate the amount of light and the color of the light (much better WHITE), but I really don't care for the projection pattern on the road. With the shutter just closing down the upper part to make the "low beam", it just doesn't add what I consider "useful additional light" when the "high" beams are turned on.

Definitely do the LED upgrade, just don't expect miracles.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never had an F3 nor did I upgrade the headlights on my '18 RT but my '21 RT has LED headlights (high and low beams) natively and I can say this makes a dramatic improvement over the halogens in my previous bike. Not sure how much difference it will make specifically on an F3, just stating that LEDs in general are a HUGE upgrade. I can't remember if Lamont has a how-to video on his site if it was Slingmods but watch the vid to decide if you have the skill necessary for the job. IIRC, it seemed pretty easy.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

I went to Amazon and got LED headlights. They work a Wonderful, I have a somewhat of a hard time seeing at at nigh, definitely worth the trouble.

Yes, it’s a pain to do, but watch YouTube videos, take your time, it well worth the effort.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    Greetings

I have watched Lamonster’s video on the LED headlight upgrade. I’m a little nervous on removing the top panel to get access to the headlight housing screws.

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is this upgrade?

I have done the LED fog lights, piece of cake.

I have the panels off for winter hibernation and thought maybe I’d upgrade the headlights since I’m almost there.

Thank you for your help now and in the past.

ba
    A 6"-8" extension for the 10mm socket makes this much easier..... at least it did for 14RT .... I think yours will be the same .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Good discussion re. LED's. I am considering the LED upgrades on my 2020 F3-T for both headlights and fog lights. Question: what fog's would you recommend? There are several available as well as headlights. Any suggestions??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Good discussion re. LED's. I am considering the LED upgrades on my 2020 F3-T for both headlights and fog lights. Question: what fog's would you recommend? There are several available as well as headlights. Any suggestions??
    I added both for a friend ..... imho forget the Fog lights, they arn't bright enough to light up anything beyond the the reflector .... and they are a real *itch to put in ..... not worth the effort ..... good luxck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

What brand LEDs did you buy on Amazon?

Spyder Garage

Ok, I have a 2020 F3 and just replaced headlights to LED and also added fog lights. LED’s came from Slingmods and fog lights from Lamonster. Fog lights on the F3 are a breeze, remove lower panels, plug and play! Adding switch can be a little time consuming due to key panel not coming off easily. Now, the headlights are a different story, Slingmods have a great video for the F3, watch it, covers step by step. Be careful with top panels, the edge that attaches to the side of tank has two parts, can break tabs easily! Just take your time, lay everything out in order and enjoy the feeling of completing the job yourself! Good luck!

Spyder Garage

I got the slingmods fogs for my F3L, no so much for added light as i rarely drive at night, but just more light out front for other people to see me coming. Switch goes in the factory position, and with the headlamps on, they add more light for people to see.
    Took two easy hours to install. Plugs into factory plugs already on the bike.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I agree with vario , I do not ride much at night, but having the extra lights will make it easier for drivers to see the front of the Spyder. Would suggest this easy upgrade for all for more visibility.

Spyder Garage

Default Take your time

I agree with others who said to take your time and pay attention. I also did both. Fogs were easy on my F3t. Headlights were a pain, but 100% worth the time and trouble. The white lights are great on the road, and the whole bike looks much better.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    Greetings

ba
    hi all, back again.

i bought the headlights and all the panels are off except for the top panel.

is there anyone who can offer some tips on how to pull the top panel off without breaking the clips?

i am not really sure what the clip looks like or how it is clipped in.

thank you
    ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium