Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never heard of "Right to Repair". I know there are several companies that make it difficult, and expensive, for
    anyone other than a dealer to have the diagnostic software. Volvo and Caterpillar come to mind.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It looks to me like a licence renewal for both BUDS and BUDS2. Spyder , Ryker license only. For one year is $172.87 USD and you should get 10% off that for the coupon code cyberdeal2020 Depending on the license you need it will go up from there.
    Yep, there's a whole long drop down list of pricing options. It looks like the only real deal is the 1 year All dealer/All tech license with an added free license for BUDS2. The cyberdeal2020 code takes 10% off so the final price is $643.48. Now, do I click the checkout button or not? Sure is tempting.

EDIT: I caved and clicked on the Checkout button!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I've never heard of "Right to Repair". I know there are several companies that make it difficult, and expensive, for
    anyone other than a dealer to have the diagnostic software. Volvo and Caterpillar come to mind.
    That's why years ago Congress passed the law that emissions related information has to be readily available to all service techs, although a local auto mechanic said the test equipment is still pricey. Something like 10 grand. His died so he quit doing emissions testing and retired a couple of years later. Of course code readers are inexpensive, especially like the one from Harbor Freight.

In case you weren't aware, if any of the codes that pop up on a Spyder are considered emissions related they are the same as for cars. If a code comes up that isn't in the service manual or in the Spydercodes app, a Google search might turn it up.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Curious, what is the Right to Repair philosophy? As far as I know for the US the fact the kit is available for retail sale means the manufacturer, BRP, does not have a lock on the repair diagnostics.
    The BUDS system is necessary to carry out such mundane things as bleeding the brakes and the recommended and necessary brake fluid change every 2 years tasks which were readily doable in the past. These are not repairs but are maintenance tasks and we should be able to do them without being taken to the cleaners.

There is also a school of thought that these tools should be reasonably priced and I personally find the price excessive. A copy of the BUDS software should be freely available to every registered owner.

The interface box costs be priced in line with what is in them. IMHO $300 is a lot of money for this thing. The schematics for this thing should be open source.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    The BUDS system is necessary to carry out such mundane things as bleeding the brakes and the recommended and necessary brake fluid change every 2 years tasks which were readily doable in the past. These are not repairs but are maintenance tasks and we should be able to do them without being taken to the cleaners.

There is also a school of thought that these tools should be reasonably priced and I personally find the price excessive. A copy of the BUDS software should be freely available to every registered owner.

The interface box costs be priced in line with what is in them. IMHO $300 is a lot of money for this thing. The schematics for this thing should be open source.
    It’s nice to be able to diagnose and repair your own stuff.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could bleed the brakes, change the brake fluid, but couldn't bleed the ABS system.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

My thinking is that the ABS controller is an important part of the braking system.

Is there any evidence that we don't need to bleed it as part of the maintenance.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I won't be doing the ABS bleeding procedure. So we'll just have to hope for the best.

Of course there is the point that many thousands of vehicles have been on the road for decades and hundreds of thousands
    of miles, and have never had their brakes bled, and/or had the fluid changed. So there is that. I do my bikes, but have never
    done any of my cars/trucks. Never had an issue, but that's me.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

I've done at least 6 complete brake fluid changes and always bleed everything including the ABS block and have never used BUDS and have never had any problems.
    After bleeding everything I make sure to pump the brake pedal before turning the key on and as I said no problems.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just curious how you bleed the ABS block without cycling the ABS system. Can you enlighten me?
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Just curious how you bleed the ABS block without cycling the ABS system. Can you enlighten me?
    With the Buds interface, you can cycle/ toggle the VCM which has pump/accumulators for each hydraulic brake wheel, ........you cycle the pump to bleed the accumulators via caliper bleed ports.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    With the Buds interface, you can cycle/ toggle the VCM which has pump/accumulators for each hydraulic brake wheel, ........you cycle the pump to bleed the accumulators via caliper bleed ports.
    Yes, I know that part, but the one poster has said he bleeds his ABS block without the benefit of BUDS, and I was curious how it was done.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

will let all know about the return

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3ntune View Post
    will let all know about the return
    FYI, the kit I ordered is coming by DHL from Slovenia.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

FYI, the kit I ordered is coming by DHL from Slovenia.
    I recently had two packages shipped from Hong Kong and DHL was a part of it. 48 days on the first package and 54 days on the second. It was my BrakeFree helmet light and a package of extra mounting brackets. DHL is the culprit. I hope yours goes better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I recently had two packages shipped from Hong Kong and DHL was a part of it. 48 days on the first package and 54 days on the second. It was my BrakeFree helmet light and a package of extra mounting brackets. DHL is the culprit. I hope yours goes better.
    I do too! According to the tracking it has left Slovenia and is supposed to be here on Friday, 12/4. But, there are a lot of places it could get lost from there to here!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Plus, I don’t know what US customs see like, but here in Canada, I ordered an item from the US and Canadian Customs took exactly 30 days to release my parcel. Don’t hold you’re breath.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Plus, I don’t know what US customs see like, but here in Canada, I ordered an item from the US and Canadian Customs took exactly 30 days to release my parcel. Don’t hold you’re breath.
    It took a while for me too. Don't remember exactly how long. Customs takes a long time form anywhere in the world except the US. Stuff from China can be in customs for 45 to 50 days.

They were diligent enough to charge me GST as a reward for the wait.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

This is my first post so hi to everyone.

If you have spyder before MY2016 you could buy IXXAT can 2 usb, flash it on your windows and download BUDS (not buds 2). Keys for megatech license are available for sale everywhere (or free if you spend some time looking). I know that not everyone has access to BRP dealers (me not) and having that is quite usefull.

EDIT: Actually this is my second post according to forum statistics

Spyder Garage

So far it's looking good! DHL tracking shows
    Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA
    Further Detail:

Shipment has been given a release by Customs.
    Next Step:

Unless there is an adhoc exam or a stop by another regulatory authority the shipment will proceed to delivery

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Used DHL recently from Australia got it in 4 days to Illinois and that was even thru customs and they opened it too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got mine today......3 days from Europe.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I guess Hong Kong is the culprit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mine came today, two days after I ordered it, The license time started on the purchase date! I installed it on my laptop and plugged it into 'Nid. Man, there is a lot of info available. It's going to take awhile to figure it all out. What surprised me is that the original dealer name is embedded into the system.

Install went smooth following the rather concise instructions that come with it. Two key bits of info you don't want to lose, the password assigned in the instructions, and the license number. I don't know yet if the pw can be changed to something simpler or not. You have to use the pw each time you open the program. I also don't know yet if the pw is also used to access the online account, but I suspect it is.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Mine came today, two days after I ordered it, The license time started on the purchase date! I installed it on my laptop and plugged it into 'Nid. Man, there is a lot of info available. It's going to take awhile to figure it all out. What surprised me is that the original dealer name is embedded into the system.

Install went smooth following the rather concise instructions that come with it. Two key bits of info you don't want to lose, the password assigned in the instructions, and the license number. I don't know yet if the pw can be changed to something simpler or not. You have to use the pw each time you open the program. I also don't know yet if the pw is also used to access the online account, but I suspect it is.
    Guessing you got the BUDS / BUDS2 program with the MPI-3 interface, and the 1 year Dealer Tech License?

I already had the MPI-2 interface / BUDS for 2016 and prior machines, so went with a 10 year Megatech license renewal for $30. Not sure what my plan is for my MPI-3 interface. Likely get a license renewal for BUDS and BUDS2 with Megatech and Mechatronic, just holding off for a bit since even a 1 year subscription is expensive. Might do a multi year.