Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about buying a 2020 can am rt

I currently own a 2020 can am ryker rally. Thinking about upgrade to the 2020 rt. Just wondering the semi automatic transmission can you put it on auto ,does it automatically up shift and down shift like the ryker .

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No it will not shift up automatic, you have to push to paddle button for it to up shift into each gear. It will down shift by itself tho.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

And it's more fun to ride the semi-automatic than a CVT too. All it takes is a thumb and a forefinger meaning it's much easier than a traditional manual transmission. Only my two cents.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT

Spyder RT is a good choice. The SE6 is the way to go. Many people have done a demo ryde first, to check it out. Good Luck on Your Mission.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The SE 6 transmission is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Warning!! The SE6 will spoil you and you will never want to go back to squeezing a clutch lever.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Warning!! The SE6 will spoil you and you will never want to go back to squeezing a clutch lever.
    Let's not get too carried away. Some of us like the interaction between rider and machine.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

In the mountain twisties and with the compression braking of the 1330 engine the SE6 gives you great interaction with the Spyder with no left foot involvement.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Spyder RT is a good choice. The SE6 is the way to go. Many people have done a demo ryde first, to check it out. Good Luck on Your Mission.
    the available cargo &passenger space will be a world of difference from the Ryker. Quite a few items to consider & see if you like

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Good comment, except for the fact he has already given up squeezing a clutch lever! The Ryker doesn't have one!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    In the mountain twisties and with the compression braking of the 1330 engine the SE6 gives you great interaction with the Spyder with no left foot involvement.
    He already has a no left foot involvement situation, unless he wants to use his foot to shift between forward and reverse while stopped. I suspect most ryders do that by hand. There is no usual shift lever on a Ryker.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I didn't know what the Ryker had and didn't have - never paid any attention. Thanks for filling me in guys.
    Before getting my SE6, on day rides, my left hand would cramp mid afternoon. Hurt too. Now all day rides are a lot more pleasurable.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Test ride, then decide!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

If you can afford it, JUST DO IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK.
    I came from the opposite direction. I had a 2014 RTS with the manual transmission.
    Going to the semi-auto took a little getting used to, but the additional comfort, better handling, weather protection and storage space are major upgrades, particulary if you ride two up to any distant destinations.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    I currently own a 2020 can am ryker rally. Thinking about upgrade to the 2020 rt. Just wondering the semi automatic transmission can you put it on auto ,does it automatically up shift and down shift like the ryker .
    Wife and I trained on Ryker Rallies for our 3-wheel wheel endorsements. Also practiced a little on a Spyder F3.

Came time to buy we opted for a used (2016) Spyder RTS (SE6). Beauty.

Selling points for us:

Hydraulic steering (her carpal tunnel syndrome)
    Riding posture (my bad lumbar disk; but we both preferred the more upright riding posture relative to the Spyder F3)
    Touring capacity (stowage & princess seat; decided that if we were going to spring for a Can-Am we might as well buy up & make it our touring ride). Lots more comfortable on a trip than my "other" ride. (Suzuki Boulevard S40).

I liked somebody else's analogy regarding Spyders. F3 = Corvette; RT = Cadillac.

Back to your original question about transmission, looks like it was already answered. You shift up manually with a thumb paddle shifter on the left handlebar (automatic clutch). Downshifts automatically as you decelerate. JayBros categorized it as "slicker than deer guts on a doorknob." I mostly agree. Ours engages with a bit of a clunk occasionally. Seems somewhat characteristic for Spyders? The F3 we tried had a little more of a clunk to it. No problems so far though.

Definitely a bigger/heavier ride than I was used to. But I'm delighted with it. Certainly not unwieldy or cumbersome. I was surprised how responsive the steering is. I ride it every chance I get. Winter's here so I mostly take her out for errands to pick up take out, beer, or small grocery runs. Wife's getting jealous, actually. (It's her ride but my insurance. )

Happy hunting!
    2017 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (LS650) , Metallic Fox Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irritatedmongo View Post
    Hydraulic steering (her carpal tunnel syndrome)
    You meant power steering, right? The power steering on the Can Am is electrical. Not a big deal but just wanted to be sure you know what it is.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Hey Platinum!! I felt just like you back in 2018 when I took my Can Am Rider Education Course. They had every new model available - but, I claimed the Ryker with bright yellow panels...and never got off of it the entire weekend. Being just 5'2" tall, I felt like I was more one with the machine - that it did not over power me. When it came time to purchase my first Spyder, however, I ended up with a 2015 F3-S. So glad I had a slightly larger machine with better suspension and power steering. I never looked back!! Definitely test ride the re-designed RT, though. If you can rent one for the weekend, do it! The riding style is a massive difference from the Ryker - and when you are plopping down that kind of money, you want to be sure. Take it from me...mine went back to the dealership after 5 weeks. Phenomenal machine - just not the phenomenal machine for my riding style. Have fun!!!

Spyder Garage

I love my ryker rally. I like the cvt transmission. I'm just scared if I buy a rt on sharp turns, I might accidently shift the wrong gear and crash lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    I love my ryker rally. I like the cvt transmission. I'm just scared if I buy a rt on sharp turns, I might accidently shift the wrong gear and crash lol.
    Fear not, my friend. In a case like that, the bike is smarter than you. Go for it and worry not!