Spyder Garage

Question Drilling through Max Mount

I'm trying to mount a Givi Monolock top case on a 2020 Ryker Rally that has the Max Mount plate. In researching this, it seems my main option is to drill through the Max Mount and use the hardware provided by Givi to mount their universal plate. I've never drilled through cast aluminum before, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm getting into here.

Before I start poking holes in a $300 piece of metal, I wanted to see if anyone else here has done this, and if there are any tips I should know. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a different way to mount the Givi plate, I'm definitely open to suggestions. I saw somewhere (but can't find it now) that someone managed to use the curvy brackets provided by Givi and mount them through the openings on the Max Mount. However, I explored that option and am thinking it might work, but only if I hammer the brackets a little flatter.

Spyder Garage

no problem - I made 4 wholes in the max-mount ..the screws should not be too long if you use the fender of the 900 ACE ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5xzeyHToM
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I didn't want to drill into my Max Mount so I purchased one of these mounting plates out of Canada. https://spyderzone.ca/en/product/lin...yker-top-case/

The GIVI mount is bolted to the plate and the plate attaches to the Max Mount like any other accessory.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    no problem - I made 4 wholes in the max-mount ..the screws should not be too long if you use the fender of the 900 ACE ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5xzeyHToM
    Thanks for the response. Did you find it fairly easy to drill through the cast aluminum? I bought a high speed steel bit, as that is what was recommended. I also bought a couple shorter bolts, just in case I don't have enough clearance between the Max Mount and the plastic fender/mud guard thing that is attached to the underside of it. I figured, worse case, I will drill a couple holes in the plastic to accommodate the bolts if they stick through.

Spyder Garage

I drilled through the Max Mount with no problems Mounted my top case and am a happy camper.

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to post a quick update. I went ahead and drilled through the Max Mount and it was way easier than I anticipated. The only slight hiccup I ran into was that the bolts Givi supplied with the top case were just long enough to get in the way of the plastic mud guard (or whatever you call that piece) that attaches to the bottom of the Max Mount. But I just ran the drill a little further and went through that, and now it all fits snuggly back together. Thanks, again, for the input.

2020RykerRally900.jpg