Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dicko View Post
    Most car tyre dealers are willing to fit the 225/50R15 tyre on the rear rim but cannot balance it. After a couple of recommendations to go a motorcycle shop, I did. They cannot do it either. Said they cannot do the big wheeled Harleys either. Bike dealer said owners just don't get their rear wheel balanced. After a discussion with the bike dealer, I suspect that the wheel is balanced in the factory. Apparently it's generally the rim that needs balancing, not the whole thing. Reckoned that a car tyre on the rear would be a lot tougher than the OEM Kenda and not getting the whole tyre/rim balance should not be an issue. I'm guessing when I got a Toyo on my last Spyder there was no balancing done.

The only directional / symmetric tyre that I can get appears to be a Yokohama AVS ES1000 P225/50R15 91V. The Toyo in that size is no longer available. Can get more choice with a 225/45R15 but I'd prefer the correct size in case the VSS spits the dummy.
    Those Yoko AVS's are a pretty reasonable tyre, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

That said, the VSS is more than capable of handling the size differences caused by a fully flat tyre at either end, so the few mm's difference in tyre rolling dia between a properly inflated 225/50 & a properly inflated 225/45 is going to be WELL within the Nanny's capabilities. And you really don't need a directional tyre either - with the 'Y' configuration, the thrust & braking alignment of the drive is really easy - just get your rear tyre alignment reasonably right & you're set to go - even better if you get your front wheel alignment done based upon the rear tyre alignment, and that's not all that hard to be done as it should...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2020 at 03:56 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dicko View Post
    Most car tyre dealers are willing to fit the 225/50R15 tyre on the rear rim but cannot balance it. After a couple of recommendations to go a motorcycle shop, I did. They cannot do it either. Said they cannot do the big wheeled Harleys either. Bike dealer said owners just don't get their rear wheel balanced.
    This is lip service from a poorly equipped shop giving excuses for not have the the right tools to do the job. Hard to hear this is so prevelent. We balance every rear tire we install on Spyders AND Harley's. The right equipment is just not THAT expensive.

20190118_152348.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Nice looking thread....what tire is that, JC?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I would guess by the thread pattern it is the replacement for the Yokohama S Drive. ADVAN FLEVA V701

I had a S Drive. It was a very good tire. Stuck to the road very well. Even in the rain. I assume the replacement is similar. It will not last that much longer then a Kenda. But who cares as long as it performs well.

2018 F3 LIMITED