Spyder Garage

Default Why You May Want to Add a Bump Skid

I think I have mentioned it before but this summer I ran over a racoon that came out of the brush on the side of the road determined to cross at a high rate of speed. Ran over it with the right front and rear tires. At one point all that was on the ground was the left front tire. Recovered and from cursory examination the results were coon 0 / spyder 1.

Well, since I have been on covid quarantine (I ain’t got it) because of being in close proximity to family members that caught it I decided to update and redo a bunch of stuff on the spyder. Ordered in a slew of stuff. Started removing all the panels and the frunk. What I found was coon 0 / spyder .75

When I got the frunk off, I noticed cracking in the duct work and then in a couple of spots in the outer panels. Even one of the brackets that a push pin goes into had been sheared off.

I must thank IGETAROUND for his reminder of using some spare ABS and acetone to make a glue. That and some fiberglass cloth has got everything all patched up. Not perfect, but you must look close to find it from the outside.

Al that to say if I had just gone ahead and installed the bump skid a year ago when I was debating about doing it, I could have saved many hours of labor. Now I have the no light Spyderpops version and it was an amazingly easy install. Money well spent, just a little late.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Both of mine have ample scratches on them. Happily not from any critters big enough to do damage to the Spyders though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

ABSOLUTELY.
    The Bump Skid is a tremendously good investment.
    And your choice of getting the one without lights is also very wise.
    When, in the fullness of time the bump skid does it's job and you hit something, one or two of the LED's will go dark.
    The result makes your Spyder look like a Halloween Jack O'Lantern. (DAMHIKT)

I only wish someone would come up with a bump skid for the 2020 RT.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    That's what I'm waiting on. Once someone comes up with one, I'll buy it. I've already bottomed out once (just scratches on the frame) but that's enough for me. I'm not even overly concerned with LEDs although I've ridden in front of someone who's got the lighted version and it's great for visibility.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Who has them for sale?
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have my 2021 STS on order and I plan to get the Halo Skid for it from Custom Spyder Works. They make one for the 2020/2021 RT. Theirs have lights however.
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
    I have my 2021 STS on order and I plan to get the Halo Skid for it from Custom Spyder Works. They make one for the 2020/2021 RT. Theirs have lights however.
    Just looked on their site and didn't see a bump skid/skid plate for the 2020+ RT. I see underglow lights only. Got a direct link to it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
    Thanks. I took a look at their offering. I've heard that the curve of the 2020 Frunk is problematic.
    Their site says the Halo Skid has matched the curve, but I'm not thrilled with the acrylic skid.
    I'd be afraid that the skid would break the first time I hit something.
    Hopefully, someone will come up with a design that has a little give to it like the pre 2020 RT's bump skid.
    Maybe in time, when there are enough post 2020 units sold a polypro skid will be available.
    Thanks again. That's a great find.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I wonder what my RT would look like with Bull Bars? Here in N Florida my most frequent near misses are from Armadillos. Been blessed to not hit one yet.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Just be a little wary of fitting bump-skids that reduce your approach angle &/or ground clearance (and I'm sorry, but many, if not most DO BOTH!) and also be wary of fitting bump-skids, bull bars, &/or bumpers that are frame mounted - hit something with any of those protective devices hard enough and even tho your device may have protected the tupperware, it just might have bent the frame that it's mounted upon, effectively writing off your Spyder!!

There was a Spyder running around here in Oz a while back with a really snazzy looking chrome 'bull bar/bumper' mounted up front, and it looked absolutely fantabulous.... the owner doesn't believe he ever hit anything 'hard', but he did admit to 'gently nudging' a kerb when he was parking once, and shortly after doing that, he noticed that his Spyder was quite obviously 'crabbing' down the road!! Further investigations revealed his Spyder had a bent frame centering around the bumper mounting points, and his insurance company wrote the Spyder off rather than trying to repair it - which was not a bad thing really, cos he got a pretty good replacement. BUT, his insurance company stipulated in the replacement policy that he was NOT to fit any similar 'bump or protective devices' that were frame mounted or it would void his insurance policy!!

So be warned... frame mounting anything that protrudes beyond the tupperware might stop you cracking that tupperware, but it also just might do a whole lot worse damage than just cracking the plastic somewhere!

I run an alloy Skid-plate under my Spyder that replaces the OE plastic tray/s down there, and I'm pretty positive that it's saved my Spyder from a lot of damage (I don't avoid dirt &/or rocky/rutted roads too much at all! ) and also that by ensuring my Skid-plate doesn't protrude beyond the tupperware anywhere, I've avoided just as much if not more potential damage by avoiding reducing the approach angle/ground clearance in the way many bump-skid &/or bumper devices do!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2020 at 07:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    That's what I'm waiting on. Once someone comes up with one, I'll buy it. I've already bottomed out once (just scratches on the frame) but that's enough for me. I'm not even overly concerned with LEDs although I've ridden in front of someone who's got the lighted version and it's great for visibility.

HAGO!
    bling effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I have had to have the lower portion of the funk and the bucket replace because i bottomed out.
    I will install a bump skid when Spyderpops makes one.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

It is true that all bump skids will reduce both ground clearance and approach height. The solution for bottoming out is adjustable spring pre-load on the front shocks. The bump skid is still a great idea for protection and visibility (if you get the lighted version). And I think they look great at the same time. But impact avoidance should be the first line of defense.

Most Spyders have adequate ground clearance unloaded. But adding riders and storage (especially in the frunk) can cost you up to 2" of ground clearance. Add to this a too weak response from the shock springs when a bump, dip or driveway approach is encountered, allowing the front to dip more than it should, and you've got a good scenario for a ground strike. If you're curious, this is easily checked. Unload your Spyder and take a measurement from the nose to the ground. Then load your Spyder (including rider(s)) and have someone make this same measurement. You may be surprised at how much ground clearance you have lost before you even leave the garage.

Being able to adjust your front spring pre-load to accommodate the extra weight will not only restore your Spyder to its original ride height, recovering that lost ground clearance. But when a bump is encountered (dip in the road, speed bump, etc.). The springs are more able to handle it with less dip. The combination makes it much less likely that you'll get a ground strike. An added benefit is less lean and dive in turns giving you better handling and increased steering control.

Removing the front spring pre-load was, in my opinion, a real disservice by BRP to their customers.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-27-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is true that all bump skids will reduce both ground clearance and approach height. The solution for bottoming out is adjustable spring pre-load on the front shocks.
    Yep, that's why I installed a set while I had the frunk off. That's some nice machine work. And I'm not sure you are getting the compression tools back
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Yep, that's why I installed a set while I had the frunk off. That's some nice machine work. And I'm not sure you are getting the compression tools back
    Those compressor tools have an astonishingly high disappearance rate! Frankly, one of the biggest surprises I've had in this business. My initial run was 10 units. Which I thought would last me forever. I'm at well over 200 missing tools now!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...