Spyder Garage

Default See and be Seen - anyone try Skene Lighting "Photon Blaster" system?

I'm looking to add some additional lights to the front of my 2020 RTL. Much more interested in safety-related lights than the decorative "bling" led lighting. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Skene Lighting "Photon Blaster" system? https://www.skenelights.com/ It uses bright LED's that appear to flicker when viewed from an angle (ie...someone approaching you from a side street). The concept seems like a good idea...does anyone have any first-hand experience? Any other systems/lighting you would recommend?

TIA!

Spyder Garage

Try this:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...2020-Aux-light

Adds visibility to on-coming traffic.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I installed Spyderpops Vision kit. TricLED has something similar

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

One of my bikes came with Skenes LED strips front and rear. The front are running/turn signal and flicker at 17 pulses/second when turn signals are not in use. The rear ones are running/brake lights with similar functions. They have the same flicker rate as running lights but when the brakes are applied, the flash four times then stay on about 50% brighter than as running lights. I think the rear are programmable for different flash patterns, but did not get instruction manual from the previous owner when I bought the bike. They are very bright and I have had a few people tell me they are very noticeable compared to standard lighting. I'm very happy with them, but they are a bit pricey & something I might not have spent money on without them already being on the bike.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I also did the vision kit and am very happy with it.Really lights you up from the sides.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flspyderpilot View Post
    It uses bright LED's that appear to flicker when viewed from an angle (ie...someone approaching you from a side street).
    That's not quite right. From what I find our peripheral vision is much more sensitive to seeing light cycling on-off-on-off, like older type fluorescent lights and the scan of old CRT monitors. So what you would be counting on is not that the other driver is coming from the side, but that his peripheral vision will be what catches a glimpse of your Skene lights. In my estimation that could well be so hit and miss that the expected effect is really not achieved. It would be good if there were reliable tests to see just how well this system works in real world life.

The Skene lights concept is valid. The implementation may or may not be effective enough to justify using them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I purchased Skene's Amber fronts for my motorcycle but after testing them they did not match my riding situations. Most of the time when people pull out in front of me I am traveling 30mph or more so I needed something with MANY MORE LUMENS than the Skene lights put out. Which I achieved with Rigid's SAE-compliant fog lights (with Amber film) mounted on my engine guards. They really work -- I see drivers 100 yards start moving and then suddenly stop.

I think the Skene's would work best on my Spyder mounted high and vertically (they have excellent side lobes) for conspicuity in city traffic. As Idaho pointed out, they are a peripheral vision solution. I'm still working on a mounting location and method. I don't want to drill holes in the windshield but the wind wings are fair game.

I am modifying my fog lights to something similar to my motorcycle. I'm installing 3,000K (Amber) LEDs plus a 3-relay system that powers both except when turning in which case in turn side flashes concurrently with the turn signal and the other side is dark. But first I have to remove the frunk because I guess my fingers are too soft and weak to remove the fog light covers otherwise...
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Any company that includes PosiLock connectors with their electrical accessories is skookum with me. Scookum = good in NW Indian speak.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome