Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spider Loaded in Toy Hauler ready to leave for Florida

Got the F3 ltd loaded in toy hauler and working on additional items to take with us to sunny Florida after Thanksgiving. Me and wife will be there for three months of riding and enjoying the weather.

Some other friends will be at same location that have trikes and spyders. Looking forward to it,

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Enjoy.... Wish I was going..
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Yes! Enjoy your trip. Watch out for golf carts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Got the F3 ltd loaded in toy hauler and working on additional items to take with us to sunny Florida after Thanksgiving. Me and wife will be there for three months of riding and enjoying the weather.
    It's a good thing you only mentioned "riding" and not "enjoying the riding". I have been to Flori-duh. The only place I would consider riding would be considerably north of a line from Jacksonville to Pensacola. And that is mainly because it won't take long to get OUT of Flori-duh.

Going to Key West is on the bucket list, but I am REALLY dreading one third of the trip. It's 811 miles to the border north of Jacksonville, then 425 miles to the end of the mainland and another 110 miles to Key West. That 110-mile stretch might have some interesting things along the way, but the 425 to get there just plain STINKS.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

You got that right, it is a journey. Especially from northern Indiana.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

Going to Key West is on the bucket list, but I am REALLY dreading one third of the trip. It's 811 miles to the border north of Jacksonville, then 425 miles to the end of the mainland and another 110 miles to Key West. That 110-mile stretch might have some interesting things along the way, but the 425 to get there just plain STINKS.

JMO, but move that trip to Key West waaaaay down the list. You can hit a touristy-based town that sells lots of T-shirts, coffee mugs, and post cards
    and pretend it's Key West. I was totally underwhelmed by Florida, and Key West. My brother lived down there, and my niece just moved down there.

Thanks, but no thanks. I guess it's because I hate crowds, and don't like boats, which are Florida's main things.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some other friends will be at same location that have trikes and spyders. Looking forward to it,

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS
    I’m wintering in Palm Beach, Florida.... considered bringing my F3L down from Wisconsin...... that’s as far as I got.... a thought.
    I find the traffic down here dangerous......really..... very congested. Good Luck.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    It's a good thing you only mentioned "riding" and not "enjoying the riding". I have been to Flori-duh. The only place I would consider riding would be considerably north of a line from Jacksonville to Pensacola. And that is mainly because it won't take long to get OUT of Flori-duh.

Hey Steve, ride to the edge of Key West and then turn around. The ride is kind of nice, but KW really doesn't do anything for me. Do spend time in the Everglades, that will make the ride worthwhile. 98 around the east shore of Okeechobee isn't bad either. If I lived in Florida I doubt I would own a bike, maybe a Miata convertible or something like it.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We spent two weeks in Florida for our riding vacation 2 years ago.
    As long as you are willing to not run the freeways and stick to the back roads, it is a nice place to ride.
    Loved the airboat rides, but pick a company that has the small 5 or 6 passenger air boat, they are much more personable and fun. The swamp buggy ride was very interesting, we spotted a snake trying to eat a squirrel, the driver stopped and caught the 6 foot python, bagged it and took it back to the authorities.
    We had a great time, saw great sunsets, enjoyed some great back roads, and we will go back again someday.

I have say though, nothing compares to out west!! From New Mexico, up through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, there just isn't any better riding and views anywhere.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Boy! All the negative talk about Florida. I live just north of WPB, and there are nice roads to ride, that aren't bumper to bumper traffic. Of course I do go, at least once a year, up to North Carolina and Tennessee to ride twisties, and get some cool mountain weather. Riding A1A along the ocean, Indian River Drive, west into the farmlands, can be very nice and relaxing. Come February, I'll bet you'd do just about anything to be riding with us in the Florida sunshine. I grew up in Ohio, and I know!!! After 3 or 4 months of cold, dark, rain/snow, and slush, Florida looks pretty nice.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Enjoy riding those twisty roads in the Florida mountains.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will have to admit, that in the deepest part of winter, on the coldest, shortest day of the year, I've never yearned for Florida.
    Especially once I had actually visited. OTOH, I have thought that Arizona or New Mexico might be nice. But Florida? Nope
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Well I just got my new spyder this year, so riding all winter in Sunny Florida will be just what I need, and I don't have to winterize it or the hauler.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    JMO, but move that trip to Key West waaaaay down the list. You can hit a touristy-based town that sells lots of T-shirts, coffee mugs, and post cards and pretend it's Key West.
    I'm not in it for the t-shirts or post cards. I like to take a picture of the bike with a sign or other memorable 'thing' in the background. A visit to Key West would include the "MM 0" sign. Because of the length of the drive there, would likely spend the night, then get the heck out of there the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Hey Steve, ride to the edge of Key West and then turn around. The ride is kind of nice, but KW really doesn't do anything for me. Do spend time in the Everglades, that will make the ride worthwhile. 98 around the east shore of Okeechobee isn't bad either.
    When I was there 10 years ago, I had my Wing with me. I was going to be there for undetermined amount of time, starting the first of January, so I left oHIo with the Wing on a trailer. I was not going to pass on the opportunity to ride during the winter months. My wife came down to visit, we made a long weekend of it. Rode down to Tampa, met up with our son, who came over from the Okeechobee area, then went around the southern tip, through the Everglades, then back up to Okeechobee. Finally went back to where I was staying in Lake Wales. Many interesting things to see down there, just no entertainment on the roads between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    We spent two weeks in Florida for our riding vacation 2 years ago.
    As long as you are willing to not run the freeways and stick to the back roads, it is a nice place to ride.
    Loved the airboat rides, but pick a company that has the small 5 or 6 passenger air boat, they are much more personable and fun.

I have say though, nothing compares to out west!! From New Mexico, up through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, there just isn't any better riding and views anywhere.
    We did a non-motorcycle vacation trip that included an air boat ride. I agree the smaller ones are better.

And I heartily agree, the scenery out west is definitely intersting. On the other hand, much like Flori-duh, there are a LOT of boring miles between some of the scenes and attractions.

And there is a lot to be said for personal preference. Some people simply prefer beach and water to mountains and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    I grew up in Ohio, and I know!!!
    Depending on where in oHIo you 'grew up', the only difference you have now is a longer riding season. If you 'grew up' in southeast oHIo, you must have had something rather strong that was pulling you to Flori-duh.

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Enjoy riding those twisty roads in the Florida mountains.
    While I was there, I DID have a bit of fun finding the "mountain". Leisurely changes of direction (I really hate to call them "curves") on the way there, but I finally found the highest spot in Flori-duh at a whopping 345' above sea level.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Lived North of the MasonDixon Line “growing up”, but wanted to see more of the country
    & eventually moved to Florida (amoung others). Lived on both sides of the Sunshine State, Gulf Coast & Gold Coast.
    And made a dozen visits to KeyWest.
    It was all amazing for a few years. Great Sunsets, Fun Gatherings, and met alot of interesting characters.
    Been back North for decades now. Zero Regrets. I like 4 Seasons.
    (...and in another decade or two, the 1.5 Seasons I left behind in FL will probably come whispering on the winds for a return...)

HotTip: Being on Key West isn’t the “special part”. Taking your time on each Key is the way to do it.
    Its not the Destination, Its the Journey.
    Thats why so many people your hear are disappointed when they get there. Looking around saying... “So... whats the big deal?”

By the way... MileMarker Zero. Iconic. I crossed it off my BucketList a while back.
    Got a full sized metal Replica of it while I was down there. Its been a nice Reminder— Never Stop Traveling.
    Looks nice in the Garage.

They’ve actually moved the Marker sign from its old location; the road used to trickle down into an almost alleyway.
    its had this ‘tourist rebuild’ in its new location ...looks strange to me now but... if you never saw the old location, you’d never know.
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Spyder Garage

If I were to trailer our F3L to the SE for winter riding, I'd base in northern Georgia. Great mountain roads with a lot of elevation changes and close to NC, SC and TN which have great riding too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

If I didn't love sledding so, I would be right behind you!!!! Be safe, have a good winter!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thank You, and no matter where you winter enjoy the season.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Florida isn't all that bad once you know the back roads. It's what you would have to learn moving to any new to you area. The mountains are a short trip away. We hit TN, N. Carolina once a year. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I’m wintering in Palm Beach, Florida.... considered bringing my F3L down from Wisconsin...... that’s as far as I got.... a thought.
    I find the traffic down here dangerous......really..... very congested. Good Luck.
    Interesting comment. For locals we enjoy many months of kind of a paradise. The week prior to Thanksgiving, I needed to shop at Costco. OMG, I was stunned to see how the current influx of Snowbirds has once again, and even worse brought attitudes here with them this winter.

As for Covid, while not perfect, the number of cases escalated quickly once northerners began arriving.

Will be awesome when Easter arrives and all these folks go back to where they came from.

Often I wish this was the sign at every entry point to Florida.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Often I wish this was the sign at every entry point to Florida."

Ah, so you and your family were born there. Like most states, you go back far enough,
    and everyone came from somewhere else.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

The state would have to impose state income tax if it weren't for snowbirds. Many northerners and canadians own homes in
    Florida and pay property tax, sales tax and much more.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

The state would have to impose state income tax if it weren't for snowbirds.
    I may be wrong, but if you research it, the Florida constitution does not allow state income tax. For that to change, and pretty sure they have tried several times, the legal citizens that vote would have to vote for this change as an amendment during an election year.

Yes, property taxes generate income for the county you own property in. The state does not collect property taxes.

Florida does have Homestead Exemption which reduces tax burden on residents with primary residence in the state. Legally must have FL Drivers license, Florida License Plate and more.

Florida generates a lot of income from tourism and agriculture. Those are the two highest generating revenues. Yes, tourism generates taxable revenue.

Spyder Garage

Was just talking to some friends that live down there as snow birds, they said the virus is running pretty ramped right now to the point that there kids are not going down and spend the holidays with them!!! To anyone heading down, be safe and smart!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy your adventure! One doesn't go to FL for mountains or curvy roads. The Atlantic side is less congested, until Fort Lauderdale, than the Gulf side. We have stayed weeks in both Titusville and Vero Beach.

Try riding 1 and 1A Fort Lauderdale to Fernandina Beach. Nice scenery. There is a road north out of Ormand Beach that forms a tunnel through the trees effect. We haven't done KW due to distance and Miami in the way.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap