Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can you bypass BRP and connect directly to the radio?

As with many I am having trouble connecting to the BRP system. Is there anyway I can connect my iPhone directly to the radio system as I have Sirus on my iPhone and would like to listen to it while on the road. Thanks so much, Peter

2016 Can-Am RTSE6

Spyder Garage

Look at pg. 40-41 of your operator's guide. You should have gotten an audio adapter cable with your Spyder; it looks like the one in left picture. Connect it to your iPhone with a cable like the one in the right picture; got mine from Bust Buy. Plug the cable into the 7-pin socket in your trunk and you should be able to play your Sirius through your speakers or headset. You will probably need a Bluetooth dongle to use a headset but I am not certain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup. Just pair your phone to the bike.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much. I got nothing with this bike, including that tool kit or the cable you show. But this helps a lot. I also do not have a seven pin connector. I have a hook up for a helmet which is around plug-in, And I have a USB cable in the trunk. In the frunk, I only have my trickle charger hook up. Thanks again, Peter

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post

HAGO!
    Not on 2016 RT, you don't! The Bluetooth connection was introduced in 2018.

Plarimer, First off,

If you don't have the Operator's Guide for your RT go here and get it: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...b-57007f0fbfa3. You need it. If you have a round connector on the dash for a helmet headset that means you have a CB installed. There is a 7 pin round connector in the trunk, trust me. You can connect your phone to it with the appropriate cable. Another option, but you still need a cable, is to plug a Bluetooth receiver into the port in the trunk and BT connect your phone to it. When you have a device plugged into the port it will up in the audio screen as AUX or iPhone.

Before you ask any more questions get the Operator's Guide, study it, and figure out what all your RT has on it. There's a lot there, but you will undoubtedly have more questions later. Also, read the new user's information here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

EDIT: I forgot to mention the CB option was deleted in 2018.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 11-23-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: MY correction & CB comment

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I’m sorry I am Asking too many questions

Spyder Garage

NO, NO, NO!!! You are not asking too many questions. That's what we're here for. IMS gave you some good information. If you don't find the information in the op guide detailed enough send me a PM with your regular email address and I can send you an addendum that came with my Spyder that has more detailed information but the system won't let me send it as a .pdf attachment in a PM reply.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not on 2016 RT, you don't! The Bluetooth connection was introduced in 2018.
    Thanks for the schooling, sir. I thought all RTs had BT. Shows what I know, eh?

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I’m sorry I am Asking too many questions
    No problem!

It's just that we really appreciate when someone has done their best to dig out the answers for themselves first. There are many, many, questions that come up where the answer is awfully hard to find, and once in awhile some of us who have been here for years get stumped! BRP has created several versions of the Spyder, and now Ryker, so many times a question that may come up is limited to only one or two versions. The better you know what the lineup has been through the years, the better you can direct your questions, and understand questions others are asking.

Since the introduction of the current model of RT in 2020 questions and answers for the earlier models has dropped off significantly. So many issues you may come up with could well have been discussed 5 years ago and not been addressed at all in the past 3 years. That's a big reason why it will be beneficial to get acquainted with the search function, if you haven't already. An alternative that sometimes works better than the SL search is this format using Google. [search term, site:spyderlovers.com]

So, welcome aboard, and ask away!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the schooling, sir. I thought all RTs had BT. Shows what I know, eh?

HAGO!
    Maybe my comment to Plarimer applies to you also!!! You suppose????? There really is a lot to learn about Spyders and Rykers! Just don't try to learn it all overnight!

Think of it as BT replacing CB! The CB option was dropped in 2018. I think, but don't know for sure, that the audio system was built into the cluster in 2018 and is no longer a separate unit.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 11-23-2020 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added comment re: CB

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

You are correct

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll need a bluetooth receiver plugged into the phone jack. Then you can pair the phone to it and play thru the speakers.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Well I’m terribly sorry that I am asking too many questions on a forum that invites questions. I guess I’ll just move on.

Spyder Garage

There is a 7 pin round connector in the trunk, trust me.
    I guess he can't trust you. The OP has a 2016 RT. It does not have a 7 pin round DIM connector. His Spyder has a USB connector and a aux audio 3.5mm input. Both hardwired in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Well I’m terribly sorry that I am asking too many questions on a forum that invites questions. I guess I’ll just move on.
    Not sure why you feel that way. Just explain at what step you are stuck at or explain in more detail what you want to do. There are more then one way to do things. You should be able to buy the correct adapter to go from your phone to the usb connector on the Spyder. That would be the simplest way.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Because I was told not to ask anymore questions until I got an owners manual. I have an owners manual that I got online and I also looked the question up on YouTube before I asked the question on this forum. Maybe I just took it the wrong way.

Spyder Garage

As with many I am having trouble connecting to the BRP system. Is there anyway I can connect my iPhone directly to the radio system as I have Sirus on my iPhone and would like to listen to it while on the road. Thanks so much, Peter

2016 Can-Am RTSE6
    I have a 2017 RTL and I have a iphone 11.In the trunk you have a USB connection . Use the charging cable that came with your iPhone and plug it into the USB connection.
    On the dash set it to USB/ipod and you can control the music and volume from your iPhone on the left handle bar controls.if you need anymore information I would be glad to help. I too am retired and I am on here almost ever day.There is no problem asking questions that is what this forum is about. Good luck and enjoy your new spyder.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

There is a 7 pin round connector in the trunk, trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I guess he can't trust you. The OP has a 2016 RT. It does not have a 7 pin round DIM connector. His Spyder has a USB connector and a aux audio 3.5mm input. Both hardwired in.
    Boy, I really stepped into a pile of brown stuff with that one! I had no idea the 7 pin DIN was replaced. That change must have gone really smooth because I don't remember any discussion of it back in 2016.

Plarimer should be able to connect his iPhone direct through the USB port then, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Because I was told not to ask anymore questions until I got an owners manual. I have an owners manual that I got online and I also looked the question up on YouTube before I asked the question on this forum. Maybe I just took it the wrong way.
    Sorry if I came across a little harsh. I certainly did not intend to! It's just that some members here will occasionally respond with RTFM when someone asks a question that is discussed in the manual. I just wanted you to do what you can to avoid being subjected to that kind of ridicule. It was apparent, to me anyway, that you are quite new to the Spyder world. There is a lot to know and learn about differences between model years. It's obvious, as pointed out above, that I wasn't up to date on the changes to the audio system.

Now, the only thing to figure out is if the info Partzman23 applies to Sirius on the iPhone like it does to music. If you can't control the Sirius via the USB cable and handlebar controls then the next best approach is a Bluetooth receiver. Get one that plugs into a 3.5 mm stereo port and pair your phone to it. Get a phone mount for the handlebar and then you can control the phone directly and have it feed into the audio system. The handlebar control will let you adjust the volume but nothing else.

Review the Preferences section of the Operator's Guide. There are several audio system options there. If some of them are not set correctly you won't hear what you want to hear, for example speakers on or off.

If you still have problems come back and let us know. Together we should be able to figure it all out.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Boy, I really stepped into a pile of brown stuff with that one! I had no idea the 7 pin DIN was replaced. That change must have gone really smooth because I don't remember any discussion of it back in 2016...
    Same here.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That would also mean that a 2016/17 radio won't work in a pre-2016 RT then, doesn't it? At least not without not using the trunk connectors or revamping the harness to add the requisite connectors to the trunk.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Plarimer should be able to connect his iPhone direct through the USB port then, right?
    From what I have read, yes. Or a flash drive, or another type of smartphone, or a MP3 player.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

That would also mean that a 2016/17 radio won't work in a pre-2016 RT then, doesn't it? At least not without not using the trunk connectors or revamping the harness to add the requisite connectors to the trunk.
    I assume not. Maybe with the harness change. But then the dash may not be compatible since the radio handles this input differently. So not sure. Pre 2016 radios did not play digital files. The ipod could be digitally controlled. But the audio was analog from the ipod. On the 2016 and 2017 models. It can digitally control the connected device. But the connected device sends a digital file to the radio. The radio is capable of decoding and playing that file.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much. Once I get everything set up, I can plug my phone or any of my several types of iPods and all work without any problems. Maybe I’m just trying to make all this too complicated. Nice to have tunes and Sirius though.

Spyder Garage

HAGO!
    You cannot pair a phone to a pre 2018 spyder. Only the 2018 up. OP has a 2016.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue