Spyder Garage

Default Front Trunk (Frunk) latch is sticking & switch/key not working?

My front trunk (AKA frunk) is sticking. By this I mean it opens very easy at times. Other times, I have to push the release button SEVERAL times to get it to release. I have tried the key push method and it will not work at all! Is this a common issue? Is there an easy fix?

Spyder Garage

Model and year of your Spyder would help. Specifically and regardless of model and year, check to be certain the gasket of the frunk liner is fully seated all the way around the frunk lip. Other than that I've had no problems with mine but I do not have switch; must use key and it always works fine if the gasket is fully seated.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I attached a thin cable to the latch (both frunk lid and seat) and never use the key.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Are you pushing the key firmly IN/DOWN before turning when you try to open the frunk that way?? Sometimes, depending a little on where I'm standing when I try, I just don't get it pressed in enough & unless it's down far enough to engage the cable pawl surrounding the ign, it won't do schmick!!

As for the switch, they were a little problematic from the start, and like me, many had a couple of switches replaced under warranty, but ultimately gave up on it - the signal/power in that particular switch seems to be too little to always open the latch, so that eventually using the switch only works maybe once out of every 50 or so operations, altho that '50' might be being kind!! Another great idea from BRP stuffed in the execution and never truly fixed!

Btw, adding a hidden 'emergency release' is a great idea, especially if your switch is already acting up!! If for any reason, your key operated cable breaks or fails to operate when you really need to get into it, if that's your only way besides the 'prone to not work at the most inconvenient of times' to unlatch the frunk, you might become juuuust a little frustrated as well as highly inconvenienced, if not actually stranded! It's happened....

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-23-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: doNtKnow 8-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Sometimes the switch hangs up. Press down on the key and reverse the motion like you're opening up the gas tank. At the same time, push down on the lid right at the latch.
    Once you get it open, you should have the tang on the latch adjusted properly.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here's some ideas on rigging emergency latch cables. Best to do it before you need it again.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUDlTER1jc&t=31s
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!