Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a trip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    For actual travel time I've found using 50 mph to estimate the time works pretty good.
    It is interesting how well that works. My dad used that rule of thumb when I was a kid, and it still seems to work today.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It always astounds me when I see these distance/time discussions about travelling in other countries.....

Travelling ONLY 300 miles per day would pretty much more than double the number of days I'd take to get out of my home State, let alone visit any other State Capital in Australia!! ...

It's all relative, I know, but travelling just 300 miles in a day?!? By necessity, here in Oz that's often only just a quick afternoon ryde!!
    Well, Peter, that's because you have a LOT of NOTHING between your few points of interest. Here, if you stopped to look at even half of the "interesting" things along the way, you might be good to get in 100 miles in a day. I'm sure there are areas of Oz that are considerably more scenic and worthy of occasional stops to admire them. Of course, after the first few (hundred) times you stop to see them, it's easier to just blast through to see the next group of worthy stops.

It's also important to note that travel time and distance per day is GREATLY influenced by the number of people and/or vehicles. One person might be able to go 500 miles per day, but add a passenger and any stop will take a bit longer, resulting in fewer miles or a longer day. Make that one rider on each of two vehicles, it's even slower than two riders on one vehicle. If you make that a group ride with as few as 4 or 5 bikes, you can almost plan on a full hour just for a gas stop, and a bit more than that for a food stop. As the number of participants goes up, the logistics keep getting worse.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

This has been an interesting thread and I learned a lot! My wife & I just discussed doing a month long trip. I have a niece getting married in Indianapolis next June. The plan is to drive from Tampa area up to Deals Gap. Spend a few days there playing in the mountains before heading to Indianapolis. After that, I want to tour around Lake Michigan (my home state) and then head back to Florida. I estimated 4K miles, give or take. However, I don't have the RT that eats up miles, I have an 2018 F3 Limited but should be capable with no problem. I'm going to go look at a used trailer this weekend. I was hoping to get about 400 miles per day at least until NC, might have to be interstate to get those numbers. I would appreciate any useful comments or suggestions from some of you "long haul tourers".

Spyder Garage

If it hasn't been said, instead of running 78 and 287, I would stay on I-81 to I-84 and go into new York that way!

If you happen to be on I-81 in Hagerstown MD, take exit 5-B, Midway Rd west to the AC and B truck stop. Very good food, you order from a more or less buffet, then take it in the restaurant.

Spyder Garage

SKUPS - Deals Gap is notoriously busy during the weekend and holidays. A buddy and I rode our Spyders on the Tail of the Dragon a few years ago mid-week during the week before Memorial Day weekend. It was busy and tough to find a parking space for the restaurant and shop. However, it was a rainy day! When we left Deals Gap and headed out on the TOTD, the deluge hit. We were the only bikes on the road going out and back. Our three wheel Spyders handled the wet road wonderfully. Of course we were not aggressive on the curves. So, try to hit Deals Gap the middle of the week if you can. It is nice to say I rode the TOTD but there are other, more scenic and enjoyable roads to experience in that area.

Spyder Garage

I agree that Deals Gap is over-rated and a tourist trap. The Dragon is a 'I did it' attraction but not nearly as enjoyable as the Cherahola Skyway or Rt28. Consider looking in Robbinsville for more reasonable rates and terrific roads to explore with much less traffic jams than the Dragon. Ironhorse MC Lodge is a decent stay. The new eastern section of Foothills Pkwy (north of Dragon) is excellent as well.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay, I definitely have to chime in here. "Over-rated", "tourist trap"!? We must have gone to two different places. Tail of the Dragon
    is an amazing road, with a tremendous number of perfectly cambered, well cleaned, no gravel, no tar snake, corners.

The Cherohola Skyway is okay, with some sweeping corners, but technically nowhere near the same fun as Tail of the Dragon. For
    a sport bike the Tail of the Dragon is very tough to beat, but yes, there are some other wonderful roads in the area, but the overall
    condition of the road is what sets Tail of the Dragon apart from the other roads in the area.

Now, all that being said, I must admit it has been about 10-12 years since I was there last. And I thought Deal's Gap was just the store
    gas station at the start/end of the Tail of the Dragon. Don't remember much about it.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Us...we would avoid busy touristy areas like the Dragon, etc. I am a good rider, but not so sure about those trying to prove something to themselves and others.

I found a Dragon 25 miles from my home. My secret as to where unless you want to come ride with us. No traffic at all most of the time.

Also had one in Alaska. Try Hatcher Pass if you are in the Palmer area.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skups View Post
    I would appreciate any useful comments or suggestions from some of you "long haul tourers".
    in 2018 "on my out west trip" I did 845 miles in about 13.5 hrs. I have a cup holder to hold whatever you want to drink. planned out my gas stops with google maps, you know start points, just made them about 200 miles in between, looked at satellite view around the interchange. wrote down the exit road name or exit # on a paper list, put in clear phone case and hung on spyder. a 2 week trip made everyone one of them. you have to be able to overcome any "being uncomfortable feeling", and wanting to "make time" in between the best sight seeing. at the gas stops, have cooler in trunk, with some snacks to eat. eat full meal at end of traveling day. not everybody can do this, but if you want to make time for the in between areas, this is the best way to see the most important items on the agenda. this is also a solo trip

I also have done 2 iron butt rides, the 1,000 miles in 24 hrs, but on a 2 wheeler.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    in 2018 "on my out west trip" I did 845 miles in about 13.5 hrs. I have a cup holder to hold whatever you want to drink. planned out my gas stops with google maps, you know start points, just made them about 200 miles in between, looked at satellite view around the interchange. wrote down the exit road name or exit # on a paper list, put in clear phone case and hung on spyder. a 2 week trip made everyone one of them. you have to be able to overcome any "being uncomfortable feeling", and wanting to "make time" in between the best sight seeing. at the gas stops, have cooler in trunk, with some snacks to eat. eat full meal at end of traveling day. not everybody can do this, but if you want to make time for the in between areas, this is the best way to see the most important items on the agenda. this is also a solo trip

I also have done 2 iron butt rides, the 1,000 miles in 24 hrs, but on a 2 wheeler.
    All great suggestions! I haven't planned out my stops yet but I did figure on 200 miles between stops, which will probably be a gas stop & bathroom break. I also have a cup holder and so does my wife. I plan on installing a Garmin GPS. I don't use my phone for maps like most people do, too distracting. I'm going to look at a trailer this weekend and probably come home with it if it looks as good as the pictures online. I'm going try to stay off the interstates as much as possible, state roads for the most part. I never thought I would buy a trailer but last year my wife & I spent 1 week on the bike touring the east coast of Florida, great trip but tight on cargo space. I've been wanting to do more long distance touring and I think the trailer is the way to go. I've got until the end of May to plan everything out.

I've heard of the Iron Butt, that's impressive! Maybe someday.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I agree that Deals Gap is over-rated and a tourist trap. The Dragon is a 'I did it' attraction but not nearly as enjoyable as the Cherahola Skyway or Rt28. Consider looking in Robbinsville for more reasonable rates and terrific roads to explore with much less traffic jams than the Dragon. Ironhorse MC Lodge is a decent stay. The new eastern section of Foothills Pkwy (north of Dragon) is excellent as well.
    I live in Florida, world's number one tourist trap! You learn to deal with it. Tail of the Dragon is a bucket list trip, I love playing tourist when I'm a tourist, it pisses the locals off. I also plan on Cherahola Skyway and whatever else I can ride in 3 days around there. I've been looking into Robbinsville, looks like a good base camp. I just hope all this covid is over by then.

Thanks for the advice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skups View Post
    I live in Florida, world's number one tourist trap! You learn to deal with it. Tail of the Dragon is a bucket list trip, I love playing tourist when I'm a tourist, it pisses the locals off. I also plan on Cherahola Skyway and whatever else I can ride in 3 days around there. I've been looking into Robbinsville, looks like a good base camp. I just hope all this covid is over by then.

Thanks for the advice!
    Iron Horse MC Lodge is a great base camp in Robbinsville- we stay there every year. Book early...

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would consider the Tail of the Dragon a must do for any motorcycle enthusiast. I have been going every year for the past 12. Normally I will go multiple times. I try to plan our trips on the Dragon for Monday through Friday. There are nice roads everywhere in that area, that are more scenic, and great to ride. But the Dragon is nicely paved and a pleasure if you like to go fast.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the lodge at telico plains is nice also copperhead lodge in blairseville ga

Spyder Garage

I've done the Dragon several times over the past 10 years on 3 different rides. IF you want to check off your bucket list, do it mid-week or be ready for road-hogs or crouch-rockets blowing by you in less than safe sections. Look into the Snake, Rattler, Bootlegger, Fontana Dam, or just about any secondary road in the Smokies. Deals Gap is a store at the south end of Dragon good for lunch, tee shirts, and pics of the Tree of Shame but their motel is a bit pricey. Robbinsville has a nice Quality Inn (Microtel) that has good rates and has several places to eat within walking distance.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
    Just the kind of info I was looking for.
    The route I am looking at is 49, 62, 29, 60, 64, 81, 78, and 287. After that depending on my first stop I will either enter CT on 95 or 84. I have done this route before in our rv and like the roads. I may take that route up and then do more secondary roads on the way back.
    I have quite a bit of visiting to do in CT once I get there most of which will be in the countryside. At 63 years of age I like to be comfortable so I will try to pick a good couple of weeks with warmer temps and decent weather. I am retired so I can pick up and go on a moments notice.
    Having had a couple of Harleys and large Japanese cruisers I am very impressed with the ride quality and lack of wind noise and buffeting on my Canam at 65-70 mph . the lack of those issues should cause much less fatigue.

Pete
    This is nowhere near that route but if you want to try coming back along the coast you might want to try a route that catches the Garden State Parkway on the southern end stay over in Cape May, take an early ferry to Lewes, DE and work your want down to the Bay Bridge Tunnel and Virginia Beach. US 58 would then get you near home. In 2019 I went north this way taking two days to get to Waterbury, CT from Raleigh. It was a pleasant ride and most was not on 4 lanes. If you have never done the Ferry or Bridge Tunnel it is worth at least doing once.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I take a two week trip on the Spyder every year, nothing but backroads, unless its raining.
    Breaking in your butt sound funny, but a lot of shorter rides in the spring, building to loger ones before the trip helps alot.
    We also run fewer miles the first day, about 200, and add on more miles each day after that. We get to the point that a 400 to 500 mile day is no big deal and just a standard ride. It is nothing to run through a full tank of fuel without stopping.

When running the back roads the views around you, watching for animals, and other drivers will keep your attention and you don't even realise how far you have gone.

Running freeways with all the traffic, road noise, and wind buffeting will tire you out and you will ride less hours. Maybe you will get more miles in less time, but will you enjoy it?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue