Spyder Garage

Default My in-depth Comparison of 2018 RTL Chrome vs. 2021 RTL Chrome. (Long Read)

The first thing that hits you like a ton of bricks is the brake pedal position. It is forward and to an angle. This is a huge adjustment for anyone who rode the prior years rts. I found out the hard way when I almost lost her after a car decided he was changing lanes w/out a turn signal and in a hurry. Went to hit my brake and NO PEDAL! Brain kicked in and remembered it was forward, so years of conditioning takes time to change your reaction time. the new brake pedal is huge, can't miss it once you remember where it is.
    The new floorboards are huge and highway pegs or boards are no longer required. Their rubber inserts are cushioned for a smoother ride.
    Lighting system is way better than the 18. Road is illuminated without using my high beams at night. That was a problem for me on the 18. There are no fog lights on the 21, but an optional LED flood light is available from BRP for $254. Or you can order a $18 DIY one from Ebay like I just did.
    The horn seems louder than the clown horn on the 18, but I still think I'm going to add the WOLO Big Boy. Safety 1st.
    Under USELESS CONTROLS DEPT: there are 3 different buttons to raise the audio volume. One is a button that replaced the old windshield height button, the second is the joystick on the left handlebar controls and the last is an audio cluster of buttons on the tank. They should eliminate at least one if not both extras. All you really need is the left joystick control. Also, there is a blank switch cover above the tank in a switch cluster which used to be for the front auxiliary light. That light is now hot wired and always on. I'm planning on adding a GDO rocker switch there in the future. There is a slot in bottom front of the 21. Perfect spot to add that LED flood light for better illumination and daytime visibility.
    New glove box location.....Love it! It is now located above your instrument panel. It has a wires for auxiliary sound (I thinks it's a 9mm pin) and UBC connector to hook up directly to BRP Connect. I still use my Bluetooth to connect to BRP Connect. The glove box is deep. It will fit my huge Iphone, sunglasses, tire gauge, GDO and room for more. As a bonus, they found a great place to hide that annoying "safety card". It is now located on the side of the glove box which pulls straight up in case you want to read it. Don't bother. There is a molded plastic piece above the dash and below the windshield that is just begging for a storage pouch. And I just found out there is an after market piece that fits perfectly on top of it. (bling down the road)
    The mirrors still suck. You can't see anything directly behind you and my left mirror got the shakes about 5 minutes out of the dealers lot. I have since ordered the Lamonster fix for both mirrors. I also plan on ordering the wide mirrors, but even they widen the view, they still don't give me the visibility I'd like. The mirror housing is now a color match to the spyder instead of chrome.
    The audio seems stronger. I don't have to raise the audio as far to get the same volume level as before. The seat is now split, with only the drivers side raising up. The passenger can remain seated while gassing up. Both seats are heated with individual controls.
    The windshield will adjust without starting engine now. The support for the windshield appears to be thicker and stronger that its predecessor and the chrome trim on the front of the windshield has been replaced with black ABS plastic.
    The rear end is better illuminated with a third running/brake light above the new trunk. License plate light is larger. The rear mud flap is shaped to the rear wheel and extends to about 6" above the ground. No more muddy wet backs for passenger and trunk. Maybe my imagination, but it sure seems to have a tighter front end. It holds the turns better and smoother.
    The frunk looks smaller. The trunk is shallower, but removable along with the passenger backrest for a sportier F2 look that I love. As a result of the removable trunk, the latches for both side saddlebags are located on the front of the bags which also makes for easier access. The trunk can be replaced with a color matching rear cover from BRP for $239 Already ordered one! The passenger floor boards height is adjustable.
    The dash display looks narrower than the 2018 dash, but appears to be brighter. Still too small for these old eyes, gotta wear bifocals when riding.
    I sure hope there is no parking brake cable issues with the 20 because that area sure looks tighter to work a wrench in. 2012 still has Kenda tires, but the rubber feels like a more pliable consistency(probably cause it's newer rubber). Maybe just wishful thinking here. I really like the look of the 2021 wheels. Should also be easier to clean. The license plate needs to be screwed into the back instead of bolted onto the back like the 18.
    The handlebars look like motorcycle handlebars, black not chrome(yes) and feel closer to me when riding. I understand they now make an adjustable handlebar for the 20/21's. Only time will tell if I need to go that way.

Well if you've read this far and haven't fallen asleep, let me know if you have any other questions. Sorry for any/all the misspellings. If I find any more more differences in the upcoming days I'll be brief about it.
    Glide-on>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Oh, and the windshield is vented on the 21
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spyder Garage

What is the after market piece that fits perfectly on top of the dash ledge? We want to add something like "JT's dash bar".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    What is the after market piece that fits perfectly on top of the dash ledge? We want to add something like "JT's dash bar".
    Large dash pouch from Lamonster Garage for 2020 & above rt’s
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spyder Garage

If you would edit your original post and break it up into multiple paragraphs it was be much easier to read!! Just saying!! On a single long paragraph it is hard to keep track of the line you just read. And yes it was an adjustment to learn the 2021 brake pedal location in my trike class. Thanks Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    If you would edit your original post and break it up into multiple paragraphs it was be much easier to read!! Just saying!! On a single long paragraph it is hard to keep track of the line you just read. Thanks Chris
    Very true, I just kind of skimmed it rather than a read in depth.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very nice review. I am trying not to look too much at the 2020 and up RT as it is very tempting. I did find the power on take off to be a bit sluggish when compared to my 2014 RT and especially my 2016 F3T. But once things are moving it did very well. The new bike is a very good platform, but I do wish it had about 20-30 more hp. I see you mentioned the windshield was vented. My windshield was vented on my 2014 RT. Is that something that was dropped between then and 2018?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Under USELESS CONTROLS DEPT: there are 3 different buttons to raise the audio volume. All you really need is the left joystick control.

It has a wires for auxiliary sound (I thinks it's a 9mm pin) and USB connector to hook up directly to BRP Connect. I still use my Bluetooth to connect to BRP Connect.

The mirrors still suck. You can't see anything directly behind you and my left mirror got the shakes about 5 minutes out of the dealers lot. I have since ordered the Lamonster fix for both mirrors. I also plan on ordering the wide mirrors, but even they widen the view, they still don't give me the visibility I'd like.

The seat is now split, with only the drivers side raising up. The passenger can remain seated while gassing up.

Maybe my imagination, but it sure seems to have a tighter front end. It holds the turns better and smoother.

The frunk looks smaller.

The dash display looks narrower than the 2018 dash, but appears to be brighter.

2021 still has Kenda tires, but the rubber feels like a more pliable consistency. Maybe just wishful thinking here.

The handlebars look like motorcycle handlebars, black not chrome(yes) and feel closer to me when riding. I understand they now make an adjustable handlebar for the 20/21's. Only time will tell if I need to go that way.
    I agree on the useless redundancy of the volume controls. I'd prefer they ditched the volume rocker on the left hand grip and replace it with the windscreen control like on the previous models (including my traded in '18).

The auxiliary plug is 3.5mm. You don't need this to connect to BuRP Connect however you DO need to plug into the USB port AND bluetooth your phone to the bike. Personally, I think BuRP Connect is worthless so I don't use it.

I have Lamonsters mirror fix. Takes 20 minutes to install and there are zero vibrations now.

BuRP redesigned something in the front end for better handling. They did a good job but a BajaRon sway bar helps even more.

Please don't let someone sit on the bike when you're fueling. If the fuel ignites, your passenger might not be able to get off the bike in time to avoid injury.

The frunk is the same length/width but it's deeper than previous models.

The dash display is identical to the 2018/2019. The only difference (and one I really like) is that they've remove that extraneous trim that sort of separated the main display from the turn signal indicators. Easier to clean now.

Same Kenda tires as on previous years. Tread is the same. Quite a few end up with car tires (as I will eventually).

ANY 2020+ RT and ANY F3 handlebars (except the drag bars) will work on the 2020+ RT. I tried a few (Attitude bars and stock F3T/L bars). I ended up with Helibars. I love the Helibars although I'll probably lengthen the centering slot to push them a bit farther forward. Not cheap but buy once, cry once. The "adjustable bars" you're referring to aren't bars but an adjustable riser. I'm not a big riser fan so I didn't even contemplate those. They're expensive and most of the new-for-2021 accessories aren't available yet.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Very nice review. I am trying not to look too much at the 2020 and up RT as it is very tempting. I did find the power on take off to be a bit sluggish when compared to my 2014 RT and especially my 2016 F3T. But once things are moving it did very well. The new bike is a very good platform, but I do wish it had about 20-30 more hp. I see you mentioned the windshield was vented. My windshield was vented on my 2014 RT. Is that something that was dropped between then and 2018?
    You know you want one.

My 2018 RT had a vented windscreen but the vents were taller.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    You know you want one.

My 2018 RT had a vented windscreen but the vents were taller.
    You right. But on the way home yesterday, I did a nice smokey burnout on my F3T. And as much as I tried, I could not get the 2020 that I demoed to do that. Considering I am still in the power hungry stage, I will have to wait. But they sure are pretty.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Oh, and the windshield is vented on the 21
    Ooops. My 2018 windshield was vented.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    If you would edit your original post and break it up into multiple paragraphs it was be much easier to read!! Just saying!! On a single long paragraph it is hard to keep track of the line you just read. And yes it was an adjustment to learn the 2021 brake pedal location in my trike class. Thanks Chris
    Done. Thanks for the suggestion.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mentioned "GDO" a couple of times in your first post.
    I'm planning on adding a GDO rocker switch there in the future. ... The glove box is deep. It will fit my huge Iphone, sunglasses, tire gauge, GDO and room for more.
    I am rather new to the Spyder world and am not yet acquainted with all the TLAs.

What's a "GDO"?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garage Door Opener

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Thanks Valkrocket, that is all great to know . But some of us will still need highway pegs (there is obviously a market, as a certain Canadian aftermarket seller has just released one). Hopefully they will find some way of moving the brake pedal forward too.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well sorta! A blank space between paragraphs would have been even better.

The first thing that hits you like a ton of bricks is the brake pedal position. It is forward and to an angle. This is a huge adjustment for anyone who rode the prior years rts. I found out the hard way when I almost lost her after a car decided he was changing lanes w/out a turn signal and in a hurry. Went to hit my brake and NO PEDAL! Brain kicked in and remembered it was forward, so years of conditioning takes time to change your reaction time. the new brake pedal is huge, can't miss it once you remember where it is.

The new floorboards are huge and highway pegs or boards are no longer required. Their rubber inserts are cushioned for a smoother ride.
    Lighting system is way better than the 18. Road is illuminated without using my high beams at night. That was a problem for me on the 18. There are no fog lights on the 21, but an optional LED flood light is available from BRP for $254. Or you can order a $18 DIY one from Ebay like I just did.

The horn seems louder than the clown horn on the 18, but I still think I'm going to add the WOLO Big Boy. Safety 1st.

Under USELESS CONTROLS DEPT: there are 3 different buttons to raise the audio volume. One is a button that replaced the old windshield height button, the second is the joystick on the left handlebar controls and the last is an audio cluster of buttons on the tank. They should eliminate at least one if not both extras. All you really need is the left joystick control.

Also, there is a blank switch cover above the tank in a switch cluster which used to be for the front auxiliary light. That light is now hot wired and always on. I'm planning on adding a GDO rocker switch there in the future. There is a slot in bottom front of the 21. Perfect spot to add that LED flood light for better illumination and daytime visibility.

New glove box location.....Love it! It is now located above your instrument panel. It has a wires for auxiliary sound (I thinks it's a 9mm pin) and UBC connector to hook up directly to BRP Connect. I still use my Bluetooth to connect to BRP Connect. The glove box is deep. It will fit my huge Iphone, sunglasses, tire gauge, GDO and room for more. As a bonus, they found a great place to hide that annoying "safety card". It is now located on the side of the glove box which pulls straight up in case you want to read it. Don't bother.

There is a molded plastic piece above the dash and below the windshield that is just begging for a storage pouch. And I just found out there is an after market piece that fits perfectly on top of it. (bling down the road)

The mirrors still suck. You can't see anything directly behind you and my left mirror got the shakes about 5 minutes out of the dealers lot. I have since ordered the Lamonster fix for both mirrors. I also plan on ordering the wide mirrors, but even they widen the view, they still don't give me the visibility I'd like. The mirror housing is now a color match to the spyder instead of chrome.

The audio seems stronger. I don't have to raise the audio as far to get the same volume level as before. The seat is now split, with only the drivers side raising up. The passenger can remain seated while gassing up. Both seats are heated with individual controls.

The windshield will adjust without starting engine now. The support for the windshield appears to be thicker and stronger that its predecessor and the chrome trim on the front of the windshield has been replaced with black ABS plastic.

The rear end is better illuminated with a third running/brake light above the new trunk. License plate light is larger. The rear mud flap is shaped to the rear wheel and extends to about 6" above the ground. No more muddy wet backs for passenger and trunk. Maybe my imagination, but it sure seems to have a tighter front end. It holds the turns better and smoother.

The frunk looks smaller. The trunk is shallower, but removable along with the passenger backrest for a sportier F2 look that I love. As a result of the removable trunk, the latches for both side saddlebags are located on the front of the bags which also makes for easier access. The trunk can be replaced with a color matching rear cover from BRP for $239 Already ordered one! The passenger floor boards height is adjustable.

The dash display looks narrower than the 2018 dash, but appears to be brighter. Still too small for these old eyes, gotta wear bifocals when riding.

I sure hope there is no parking brake cable issues with the 20 because that area sure looks tighter to work a wrench in. 2012 still has Kenda tires, but the rubber feels like a more pliable consistency(probably cause it's newer rubber). Maybe just wishful thinking here. I really like the look of the 2021 wheels. Should also be easier to clean. The license plate needs to be screwed into the back instead of bolted onto the back like the 18.

Well if you've read this far and haven't fallen asleep, let me know if you have any other questions. Sorry for any/all the misspellings. If I find any more more differences in the upcoming days I'll be brief about it.
    Glide-on>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

As for the seating, is there more total seat length space on 2020/21 than your 2018?

Spyder Garage

The wife does not feel like she's crowding me on the 21. I have the BRP backrest also between us. I used to remove the backrest on the 18 when she rode with me.
    Here's a pic with the sport cover attached. (no trunk or passenger backrest. Love this set-up.IMG_4909 (2).jpgIMG_4910 (2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>