Spyder Garage

Default Wolo Bad Boy Installation - where to connect Relay Power supply?

I need some help figuring out where to "connect relay terminal 30 to positive (+) 12-volt battery."

Where exactly should I be attaching the terminal that is supposed to go to the "Battery on my 2016 RT? I am hoping there is some positive terminal close by that can work.

Thanks in advance,

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would connect it directly to the battery. It is what supplies power to the horn, IIRC, so you want direct power from the battery.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I would connect it directly to the battery. It is what supplies power to the horn, IIRC, so you want direct power from the battery.
    Don’t forget a suitable fuse in line

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I Hooked a fuse up to the alternator positive terminal (has a nut on it) and then to the relay.Make sure you undo battery first bc that terminal is hot all the time.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I Hooked a fuse up to the alternator positive terminal (has a nut on it) and then to the relay.Make sure you undo battery first bc that terminal is hot all the time.
    I gotta ask: Why do that instead of coming off the battery terminal? Just easier to get to?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

The idea behind using a relay is to protect the rest of the Spyder's wiring & instruments, dash etc from excessive voltage/current loads but still get full on heavy duty green steam in the necessary voltage/amperage to your accessory - and a relay does this by allowing you to trigger the power supply to your horn/whatever using the 'lighter'/OE switch wiring connected to terminals 86 & 85; but then instead of running the greater current draw thru the whole OE wiring system, the relay instead allows you to supply your accessory with that full on green steam direct from the battery (via a suitably fused/capacity wire of course! ) connected to terminal 30 on the relay and sent on to the accessory via terminal 87 on the relay.... So really, connecting your relay terminal 30 to anything BUT the battery OR at least to a heavy duty purpose designed fuse box/aux power outlet that is itself connected directly to the battery by a heavy, fused wire is sorta defeating the whole purpose behind using a relay in the first place!

And since our Spyders don't have any 'heavy duty purpose designed/fused aux power outlets' that are heavy enough/up to running the horn anyway, it becomes a case of 'connect your relay power supply direct to the battery' OR install a dedicated fused power board/fuse box, connect IT directly to the battery & then connect your relay to that.... only that's multiplying the number of connections that could be potential failure &/or high resistance points in the wiring leading to the horn.....

So unless you've already got or are planning to install a whole bunch of accessories running off relays &/or already have a heavy duty power board/fuse box with a substantial & appropriately fused/protected power supply running directly from the battery, then it's simpler & safer to just connect your relay's terminal 30 direct to the battery, - and that's really what relays were designed to do/how they're meant to work/be installed!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

OK. You all have convinced me. I will connect it to the battery.

Forgive me, but is it okay if I ask...where is the battery on a 2016 RT? I certainly will use a 20-amp in-line fuse. So...what kind of connector should I be using to connect to the battery?

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you had this RT since new? If so, it's time for you to get familiar with the battery. It's behind a panel on the back wall of the frunk. At 4 years + old it's probably getting close to crapping out so you'll need to replace it before too long. A ring terminal with 6 mm hole works great to connect to the battery. Put it on the bolt that clamps the battery cable to the terminal.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Unless I missed someone else saying it, the horn button completes the ground.
    To complicate things for you, I installed a fuse block that is energized through a relay that is powered only when the ignition is on. All electrical accessories are connected to it in order to avoid the bike's fussy electronics.
    Then I installed a pair of loud car horns fed through a relay connected to the fuse block.

HORN PROJECT 4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone. I found the battery. And, yes I have had it since new. I think I have been lucky to go this long on one battery.

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Unless I missed someone else saying it, the horn button completes the ground.
    To complicate things for you, I installed a fuse block that is energized through a relay that is powered only when the ignition is on. All electrical accessories are connected to it in order to avoid the bike's fussy electronics.
    Then I installed a pair of loud car horns fed through a relay connected to the fuse block.

HORN PROJECT 4.jpg

So your horns are inside your frunk?
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I gotta ask: Why do that instead of coming off the battery terminal? Just easier to get to?
    I run two relays sitting just to the left of where the original horn was.The first relay when grounded by the horn switch supplies power to the WOLO which btw is very loud.The other relay has its coil grounded and gets fed 12v when the ign sw is turned on,so that relay supplies power to my wifes heated winter clothes and both relays have extra wires coming off that are waiting for possible new accessories' in the future.The alternator terminal is 15" away so its easy to get to and the wire from battery to alt is more than capable of doing the job.Thats the way Ive wired up many cars over the years and they worked fine but when I put in the auxillary fusebox on my last GW I hooked up to the battery bc it was right there.Which ever you choose steer clear of hot or moving parts and put the fuse as close to the battery as possible.
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    So your horns are inside your frunk?
    Yup. I had my doubts abut the sound getting out, so at first, I roughed them in. They sound just as loud as if they were where the original horn was.
    Due to limited space, I had to make my own mounting brackets.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome