Spyder Garage

Default Whoever designed ------

Just changed my Air Filter (2016 RT) I removed 7 pieces of plastic , just to get to the Filter. Glad they didn't hide the Gas Cap too. OH - wait a minute. They Did.

Spyder Garage

Some of those jobs can be fun when they build the product from the inside out. And when working on them, make sure to put towels over the "caves" so that the dropped part can be recovered. Ask me how I know.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That is one thing i like about the F3 models. Only have to remove service cover lid. 2 seconds. Than the 4 torque screws on the filter lid and there's the filter. The whole job was less than 10 minutes.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

When I do these jobs on my '16 RT, I have all the goodies on hand to do as much maint. as possible at the same time, air, oil, filters, etc....And, since I have the plastics off, I spray things down well with some Simple Green and wash the crud out while I'm in there. Good peace of mind and satisfaction. When you know what you're getting into and what to expect, it makes it far less stressful and satisfying. When I changed the oil on a buddy's 17 RT, I noticed he had one less panel, and my wife's 19 RT was the same way. I believe they call it an acoustic panel (between the outer shell and the motor that needs to come off to access oil filter)
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Committee

I have long thought that BRP builds their products by committee,
    and on those committiees none of the people have ever had to repair
    or service anything that has an engine or wheels attached.
    I am also sure they have never ridden a motorcycle type vehicle.
    Only my opinion, and you all know about opinions....
    Many Brands ( posting ) is right they love to bury things, a good example is my good old 2008 GS
    good luck replacing the battery, first you remove the left saddle bag, then the saddle bag mount brackets
    raise the seat and then remove the plastic body panels on the left side and if you are lucky you will find
    the battery under the seat on it's side at an angle.... I got tired of going through all that and moved the battery
    up front in the front trunk where it should have been in the first place...
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 11-22-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I've heard.....

I've heard that a moose was designed by a committee.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Relocating battery

Spyder Garage

you want to change valve cover gaskets

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    Just changed my Air Filter (2016 RT) I removed 7 pieces of plastic , just to get to the Filter.
    Sure, it might be a bit aggravating, but look at the big picture. The manual says you change the filter every 19,000 miles. How many miles do you ride per year?

If this is your first air filter change, the bike is four years old. You get to look forward to doing it again FOUR YEARS LATER.

So that averages out to what, about 8 minutes a year?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A story I heard years ago involved John Deere. They were getting serious about product quality so to design a new combine they assembled a team of engineers, farmers, dealers, and production workers, to do the design. Then they all went down to factory floor to build the prototype. My friend said you should have seen the blue air that resulted when the engineers started to try the build the machine they had just designed!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    When I do these jobs on my '16 RT, I have all the goodies on hand to do as much maint. as possible at the same time, air, oil, filters, etc....And, since I have the plastics off, I spray things down well with some Simple Green and wash the crud out while I'm in there. Good peace of mind and satisfaction. When you know what you're getting into and what to expect, it makes it far less stressful and satisfying. When I changed the oil on a buddy's 17 RT, I noticed he had one less panel, and my wife's 19 RT was the same way. I believe they call it an acoustic panel (between the outer shell and the motor that needs to come off to access oil filter)
    MY miles per year have gone down a bit. so I only change the Oil Filter once a year ..... That access panel means a few other pieces have to be removed first .... so I made a 3 inch " access " hole near the filter cap. works great and so far no difference in heat on the outside panel..... I could probably do the same for the Air Filter, but I have K&N so it delays this chore ..... Mike