Spyder Garage

Default Another Bluetooth Issue/Question

Does anyone know if it would be possible to play the FM radio from my 2020 RT through my Zumo to my Sena headset?

I tried pairing the Spyder (FM radio) to the Sena directly which worked but then I lost the turn-by-turn voice on my Zumo. My phone is paired to the Zumo and it works fine through to the Sena.

The pairing options on the Spyder are phone and headset so I am guessing that since the Zumo is neither the Spyder won't pair with the Zumo directly. I did try the phone option but the Zumo couldn't detect the Spyder as a device available for pairing.

Dunno - looking for suggestions. I see a lot of folks having issues with the BRP connect so my hopes are not high that I can get it to work.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Do not believe you can pair directly as you indicated. Which Sena do you have?

I connected my phone to the bike, NOT the headset. I then connected the bike "headset" bluetooth to the headset itself. Finally, I connected the Zumo to the headset as a GPS on the 2nd bluetooth channel. The Zumo will then interrupt the bike with turn by turn directions. Note I am assuming you have a Sena with 2 bluetooth channels, which is most of the older ones. I've heard some challenges with the new mesh intercom ones and available bluetooth channels.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    Do not believe you can pair directly as you indicated. Which Sena do you have?

I connected my phone to the bike, NOT the headset. I then connected the bike "headset" bluetooth to the headset itself. Finally, I connected the Zumo to the headset as a GPS on the 2nd bluetooth channel. The Zumo will then interrupt the bike with turn by turn directions. Note I am assuming you have a Sena with 2 bluetooth channels, which is most of the older ones. I've heard some challenges with the new mesh intercom ones and available bluetooth channels.
    Interesting.....My Sena is a 10c but I am not aware of it having 2 bluetooth channels so I will have to read up on that. Before I saw your post, I ordered a new Cardo that does have 2 channels and it will be here Tuesday.

I am not married to the 10c but I do like the camera on it and use it on almost every ride. I would use the built-in FM on the Sena but the range is abysmal. Am thinking that the bike's FM should have much better range due to its much better antenna.

Will look into the Channel 1 and 2 issue on my 10c and maybe try to pair the phone to the bike (to eliminate one of the paired devices on the Sena) - Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know little about Bluetooth, Sena headset, etc. I ride with several Spyder Ryders who have Senas attached to their helmets. I don't do music, etc, only wish to talk to my friends as we cruse the Texas hill country. What is involved to do this? Is there any info I an read up on this request. ps I am an electronic nerd. Thanks George

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

George, find out what model Sena headsets your friends have and get one most compatible with them. Get yours from Motorcycle Dave, a SL sponsor. It might be wise to contact Dave beforehand as there some models of Sena that are not so hot and you might not want to get one of those models even if your friends have them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Interesting.....My Sena is a 10c but I am not aware of it having 2 bluetooth channels so I will have to read up on that. Before I saw your post, I ordered a new Cardo that does have 2 channels and it will be here Tuesday.

I am not married to the 10c but I do like the camera on it and use it on almost every ride. I would use the built-in FM on the Sena but the range is abysmal. Am thinking that the bike's FM should have much better range due to its much better antenna.

Will look into the Channel 1 and 2 issue on my 10c and maybe try to pair the phone to the bike (to eliminate one of the paired devices on the Sena) - Thanks.
    The 10C does do 2 channels/pairings. Go to the link https://www.sena.com/product/10c/faq...mobile%20phone. and look at the section of bluetooth pairing. You will do your bike as phone 1, and the GPS as phone 2 as they discuss. That said, I had a Packtalk Bold and liked it better than Senas. Not sure which device you bought, but would lose the camera. Good look, think it is straightforward,
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Totally off subject, but I’ve had some nice trips through the Texas Hill country. In fact I’d like to take a trip to Brady Texas as it looks like a great place to live. Sorry for the hijack.
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to play the FM radio from my 2020 RT through my Zumo to my Sena headset?

I tried pairing the Spyder (FM radio) to the Sena directly which worked but then I lost the turn-by-turn voice on my Zumo. My phone is paired to the Zumo and it works fine through to the Sena.

The pairing options on the Spyder are phone and headset so I am guessing that since the Zumo is neither the Spyder won't pair with the Zumo directly. I did try the phone option but the Zumo couldn't detect the Spyder as a device available for pairing.

Dunno - looking for suggestions. I see a lot of folks having issues with the BRP connect so my hopes are not high that I can get it to work.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

The 10C does do 2 channels/pairings. Go to the link https://www.sena.com/product/10c/faq...mobile%20phone. and look at the section of bluetooth pairing. You will do your bike as phone 1, and the GPS as phone 2 as they discuss.
    Ahhhh, now that is a very interesting link. I should have known better than to rely on the owners manual that came with my 10c which does not have anything about pairing 2 devices.

Thanks - I will play with this again over the holiday.

If it works, I owe you a cold one.

Spyder Garage

Ahhhh, now that is a very interesting link. I should have known better than to rely on the owners manual that came with my 10c which does not have anything about pairing 2 devices.

Thanks - I will play with this again over the holiday.

If it works, I owe you a cold one.
    Good luck with it. Normally goes very smoothly. Just dont pair your phone with the headset....should be the bike as the first pairing, then GPS as 2nd.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    George, find out what model Sena headsets your friends have and get one most compatible with them. Get yours from Motorcycle Dave, a SL sponsor. It might be wise to contact Dave beforehand as there some models of Sena that are not so hot and you might not want to get one of those models even if your friends have them.
    Thanks...one of my friends also read my post and called me. He has the Sena 20 eva as do several others. He said he will help me install and bluetooth it....I guess I better call Dave.

Someone mentioned liking the Hill Country. If you visit our area, Go to Bandera then Hwy 16 north to Medina. Take 337 west to Vanderpool (pop 8) and continue 337 to Leakey (lake e). Continue one mile on 337 to the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop for food then thread you way north to Kerrville for the night. Have fun. I ride this route often.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most bluetooth headsets have at least one if not 2 phone channels along with a GPS channel. Pair the headset to the bike and pair the headset to the GPS. The bike can only take headsets and 1 smartphone. The new apps in BRP Connect work really well nowadays.

I'd reset the headset and pair to the bike then pair to the GPS.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Most bluetooth headsets have at least one if not 2 phone channels along with a GPS channel. Pair the headset to the bike and pair the headset to the GPS. The bike can only take headsets and 1 smartphone. The new apps in BRP Connect work really well nowadays.

I'd reset the headset and pair to the bike then pair to the GPS.
    That is basically what McClendons suggested. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Good luck with it. Normally goes very smoothly. Just dont pair your phone with the headset....should be the bike as the first pairing, then GPS as 2nd.

Don't quite understand. How do you pair your phone to the bike? And can you still talk to another headset person?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by inspectsir View Post
    Don't quite understand. How do you pair your phone to the bike? And can you still talk to another headset person?
    Thanks
    Pairing the phone to the bike is pasted below. The order I would pair is to first pair the phone to the bike. Then would pair the bike to the headset using what Sena calls the "Phone Pairing" . I would then pair the GPS as what Sena calls the 2nd mobile phone pairing. Finally I would set up any intercoms you need---I believe the 10C will participate with up to 3 other intercom devices. The earlier link has the steps to do the pairings.

As mentioned earlier by Flamewinger, resetting all pairings in the headset first makes sense.

Pairing your Smartphone Via Bluetooth
    On the vehicle
    1. Short press the JOYSTICK to ac- cess menu.
    2. Go down and select “Settings” and press RIGHT.
    3. Select “Bluetooth” and press RIGHT.
    4. Select “Phone” and press RIGHT.
    5. Select “Add Phone” and press
    RIGHT.
    Bluetooth is now visible.
    On the phone
    1. Activate your phone's bluetooth function.
    Refer to your manufacturer's user guide for detailed procedure.
    2. Choose "BRP Connect".
    3. A confirmation number will appear on your phone screen and the vehi- cle gauge screen. Make sure these numbers match.
    4. Press “Pair” on your phone and se- lect the green check mark on the ve- hicle gauge.
    5. Allow Contacts and Favorite Sync on your phone.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-25-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

McCLENDONS ... I think you may have responded to a different poster/post. It looks like INSPECTSIR jumped into the discussion in his post #13 with a general pairing question.

Spyder Garage

Just a follow-up and another thank you to McClendons ... The Sena 10c does indeed have the ability to have 2 devices paired. I paired the bike's radio to the Sena on what I guess is channel 1 on the sena (press sena phone button procedure) and then I paired the Zumo to what I guess is considered channel 2 on the sena (press sena jog dial procedure). I then paired my phone to the Zumo.

I went for a long ride and everything works as it should. I even tried the camera along with a sena rc4 handlebar remote control (bluetooth) and everything seems to be "cohabitating" nicely.

I do not listen to music on my phone so it is paired to my Zumo primarily for the occasional phone call and I confirmed this is also working. Most people will likely pair their phone to the bike or to the sena (channel 1) but I was not able to get my 2017 vintage phone paired to the bike but I think it is an issue with my phone because I tried a 2014 vintage phone and it paired up right away.

One of these days I will get around to learning the voice commands but that is another chapter.