Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips - Warm Enough?

For those of you that currently have the OEM heated grips on either the F3T (installed after the fact), or the F3 Limited - do you find them to be warm enough? I purchased the 2020 RT Limited just for the heated grips and seat and find the grips to be AWESOME (both heat settings). However, I test rode the 2021 F3 Limited yesterday, and found myself constantly turning the grips off/on because I did not feel anything. The deal had the bike running for several minutes before I got on, so they definitely had time to warm up. Thoughts???

Spyder Garage

I put mine on for the first time during yesterdays ride. It was around 50 here and my hands were pretty warm after 15 min into the ride.
    I do not ride in colder weather than this, so, it may not matter.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Vario - but my ryde yesterday was in the 60s - felt nothing. I am looking forward to gathering opinions on this one. This option is very important to me.

Spyder Garage

There was probably some thing going on with the switch or grips, they should have been working better than that! If you where thinking of buying that bike I would get them to check it out before sale. Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2014 RT first, and then purchased a 2016 F3T. The F3T and F3 Limited grips only have one setting, and they are not as warm as the RT grips on the low setting. I can say that they are better than nothing, but I do wish they were warmer. If they were like the ones on the RT for low setting, it would be just right.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I installed OEM heated grips on my 2019 F3T and, compared to the factory grips on my 2014 Goldwing and BMWs I've owned, they are puny. They warm but don't heat. Although better than nothing, I was a bit disappointed.
    Kid Doc
    2019 F3-T

All states and provinces visited solo on 2 wheels since 2006!

Spyder Garage

I have the accessory heated grips on my F3S. Single setting. They are just "warm". In all fairness, I do have foam slip on grip covers installed. I wouldn't buy them again.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3 Limited and the heated grips are a joke. I got spoiled on my 2 previous Spyders a 2012 RTS and 2015 RTS where you had 2 heat settings. On a chilly day the low setting was a little too much or just right and on a real cold day you were thankful you had a high setting. BRP dropped the ball on the F3 Limited heated grips in my opinion.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Some heated grips have an ambient temp high limit. I've heard that 60° is too warm for them to work, but can't recall the bike mentioned. I made my own anyway. Attach with velcro and controlled with a 12v strobe light remote.

to see MY "make your own heated clothing" PAGE
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can understand why there might be single or dual heat settings, based on the trim level, but why would they bother to use different heaters based on bike model? We have the foam covers on her '17 RT-S and even the low setting can get a bit warm at times. Have not ventured out in really cold weather yet to test the high setting.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

My RT's seemed to have better handgrip heaters than the F3 does. I call my F3 heaters "warm" but not "hot."

Get a good pair of gloves and problem solved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You would think BuRP could get the heated grips right only because they have been standard issue on sleds since the 80's, the grips on my 2018 F3L are adequate at best on a 30F degree day, at 10F degrees I'd imagine they would be useless.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    You would think BuRP could get the heated grips right only because they have been standard issue on sleds since the 80's, the grips on my 2018 F3L are adequate at best on a 30F degree day, at 10F degrees I'd imagine they would be useless.
    .... back in 90's I remember a week-long Sno-mobile trip up in Maine .... the warmest it ever got was -29 F ... the grips worked fine as long as you had " hippo hands " over them ( 75 mph speed and the Air really sucks the heat from anything ) ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it possible to retrofit a newer spyder's controller with one from 14 RT? If it's just a simple swap out and doesn't cost an arm & a leg it may be the way to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Is it possible to retrofit a newer spyder's controller with one from 14 RT? If it's just a simple swap out and doesn't cost an arm & a leg it may be the way to go.
    Just a guess, if the handle bar diameter is the same, I think it's very possible ..... check - cheapcycleparts the entire piece might be a bit expensive..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I’ve had my eyes on the F3 Heated Grips for a few weeks, as I knew cold weather was approaching.
    I don’t even have them, but given what I’ve researched (Pricy $$$, 1 setting only, not as warm as the RT, etc...),
    I’m not seeing a promising return on this particular ...umm “upgrade”.

I like your thinking BlueKnight911, check sizing on the RT version and retro-fit if possible.
    Those RT grips are incredible on High, and “Just Right” on Low (which is what I assumed the F3 would come with, but not even close).

@2dogs- please do post back if you find anything promising.
    Me? Going to do my own research when I get time, see if this is even possible.
    Cause if this is just a case of “an RT HeatedGrip ‘Rocker’ doesn’t ‘natively fit’ on an F3 series console”,
    then I smell a purchase coming for RT HeatedGrips in my F3Tfuture.

Saying this... I fully realize the cheaper/easier/faster route is using Heated Gloves(/Liners) and Done, but...
    THEY >ALREADY< MADE *THE GOOD ONES* Dangit!

I get it, the RT is the FlagshYp of the Fleet, so it gets the Premium accessories.
    So (research pending) unless they purposely engineered an intentionally high hurdle/gap to prevent this...
    (I assume I’m not the first one to dig into this)
    then I might have to see whats possible.

ohh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone. GIVETHANKS. EAT. NAP. REPEAT
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Spyder Garage

The answer is, it depends on conditions. For average to somewhat cool conditions. Or, cold conditions for short periods. Or speeds less that 40 mph, heated grips are fine. For temperatures at or below freezing, especially at speeds above 45 mph and for long periods. Heated grips will probably not do the trick. You will need heated gloves.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-27-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

@2dogs- please do post back if you find anything promising.
    Me? Going to do my own research when I get time, see if this is even possible.
    Cause if this is just a case of “an RT HeatedGrip ‘Rocker’ doesn’t ‘natively fit’ on an F3 series console”,
    then I smell a purchase coming for RT HeatedGrips in my F3Tfuture.

I did a cursory search on cheap cycle and only found the grips themselves. Very spendy. I didn't find the controller/moduel but it has to be in there somewhere. I'm sure it has to be listed, I just didn't find it. Things got blurry after a while. LOL, it's hard to imagine that they'd make a different unit for all models including their snowmobiles. Ron's answer with the heated gloves is a good option. My 14 RT heated grips used along with insulated gloves work fine for me. But, I don't ride in 40 degrees anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The answer is, it depends on conditions. For average to somewhat cool conditions. Or, cold conditions for short periods. Or speeds of 40 mph, heated grips are fine. For temperatures at or below ...freezing, especially at speeds above 45 mph and for long periods. Heated grips will probably not do the trick. You will need heated gloves.
    :agree.... Or you could add the Hippo Hands mitts that will fit over the controls and cover your hands .... because of Frost Bite issues, ( I need gloves at 45 F when not riding ) So I attached my Mitts to my ski poles ... I can comfortably ski at 0 F even on on a windy day ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I like my heated grips on my RT I use them with Warm and Safe heated gloves. If the F3 grips are less then adequate then add the RT grips.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am in total agreement with Blacklightning. F3 Ltd heated grips are better than no heat, but are not near as warm as the settings on my former RT.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

along, but not exactly the same......I have a question for all on this subject, but it's not completely riding related.
    My hands (fingers) get cold when just walking the dog around our yard on a cold day, or just doing misc. outside work when it's in the 30-50 degree range outside.
    I want fingered, battery powered, gloves that I can do work with and keep whole hand feeling warm. On the web I find "too many to count" and "very scary" prices, with no real feedback on performance or issues.
    Anyone use heated "fingered" gloves for working outside in cold conditions ?
    Appreciate any recommendations.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    along, but not exactly the same......I have a question for all on this subject, but it's not completely riding related.
    My hands (fingers) get cold when just walking the dog around our yard on a cold day, or just doing misc. outside work when it's in the 30-50 degree range outside.
    I want fingered, battery powered, gloves that I can do work with and keep whole hand feeling warm. On the web I find "too many to count" and "very scary" prices, with no real feedback on performance or issues.
    I have the same issue ( maybe worse - frostbite ) .... I bought some WORK gloves from FNDN .... I really like them, they run small so I think you should get XXL , check their sizing chart, but imho a little bit over-size is best ..... they re-charge using your computer..... they also sell spare batteries at a decent price compared to others I have seen ..... the WORK gloves are heavy duty .... cost $99.00 delivered ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    I recently came across these...they have both a 3-AAA battery and a rechargeable variant. I don't have personal experience with them yet.
    https://www.profiveshop.com/products...37018888143001
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I recently came across these...they have both a 3-AAA battery and a rechargeable variant. I don't have personal experience with them yet.
    https://www.profiveshop.com/products...37018888143001

Thanks, Rap - but finding gloves is hard for me. I have teeny-tiny hands - and if I can't get XS, I have to go with youth sized. Not really easy to find. And we all know that if your gloves don't fit properly on a ryde, could be a safety issue.