Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a way to create a route using Google Maps withOUT waypoints?

Thinking about getting a Zumo XT but for now, I'm using my cell phone. I create maps in Google Maps then import to my phone. My problem is that I don't have any winter weight gloves that are cell phone friendly. This means, Google Maps will stop my route at a waypoint and the only way for me to continue is to click the "Continue" button on my cell. Without touchscreen friendly gloves, I have to stop, remove a glove, hit the button, put my glove back on and resume the trip. Quite the pain. I can't always set a waypoint for some place convenient to stop, especially when it's an unfamiliar route and I don't even know if there's a wide spot in the road. Sometimes, I just don't want to stop at all.

One of Google Maps downfalls is that it tends to want to force a route. If you set a waypoint 10 miles farther down the road (@ a known safe place to stop), Google may decide you HAVE to go a different route to get there. I know you can drag the end point but that tends to have Google change the routing.

Ideally, I'd like to route an entire trip (generally starting and ending at my house) withOUT ANY waypoints. Does anyone know a way to do this?

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Try Myroute.app It works very well they have great tutorials.There is a free version or a subscription. Watch them close, as they frequently have sales.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Just a thought, use a pen with a capacitive top, to push the button, that is only one action, so you don't have to take off your gloves. Also there is an app called Kurviger, which is great for trips, it makes a route from start to finish, you can set your own waypoints. Thus app will provide a route, with no interstates, only backroads and twisties.

It's a pia to set it correctly, but if you like to tinker, it's an amzing app, free version and a paid one, there is not much difference between them, but I paid for it.
    Use it quite often, and kurviger brings me to places in my backyard, where I never been before. I am no affiliated with them, but I really like the app. They also heve a very active forum.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I used to print them, put red dots at the turns, put them in a big Ziplock bag, and tape them to the top of the leg of my chaps.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sygic just announces, "Passing waypoint," and keeps on. You do have to pass reasonably close to the waypoint or Sygic will keep nagging you to go there. You can delete them so that helps. I don't know how you can create any route with any program without using waypoints unless the program will faithfully follow a specified highway. I've not used any that will do that. Sygic, just like Maps, does try to make you travel primary routes, so sometimes I end using a whole raft of points to get the route I want to use to stick.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This is one of the big differences between google maps and Garmin and its pretty fundamental. Google maps is centered around getting you from point a to point b. yes you can add point c and d as well but it wants you to GO to each of those stops.

Garmin allows you to build a ROUTE that contains way points like the google maps (places you want to stop or visit) but it also has shaping points which just assist to define the route. Having both is necessary to building routes if you are trying to plan a ride. Google is only about the destination, not about letting you choose how to get there.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Try Myroute.app It works very well they have great tutorials.There is a free version or a subscription. Watch them close, as they frequently have sales.
    I looked at my app store, saw two apps with "My Route" in them. The first one appeared to be more oriented to a delivery service. One of the reviews commented that you could not generate a route that did not start at your current location, which would make pre-planning a route difficult.
    The second one was "MyRoute-app". It bragged about tracking and analyzing the route, then finally said something about creating one. The first review said something about the free version not being very good, so they removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Also there is an app called Kurviger, ...
    Must not be available on iPhone. Had to look it up on a real computer, it appears to be "interesting" and gets REAL creative on the routing at times. Did not investigate whether a created route could be sent to my GPS unit, since I don't use my "phone" for navigation.

I enjoy planning my trips and routes ahead of time. I will NOT plan them on my "phone", becacause I don't use my "phone" for navigation. I am so far behind the times for connectivity, but not quite a Luddite. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 mount on each of our bikes. The unit itself moves from car to bike, as necessary. It does not even have a BlueTooth connection to a phone, let alone to a helmet, but I have not (yet) missed having turn-by-turn directions in the helmet.

I also use Garmin Map Source (not BaseCamp) to plan my trips. I have used it for so long, it's second nature to me. Tried using BaseCamp, can't seem to get it to do what I want, so I gave up. Most of the newer Garmin units only work with BaseCamp, so I avoid them. So far, I don't feel I'm missing much.

I have looked at other route planning programs in the past, most of them can be sent to a phone, but not to a GPS, so they don't seem very useful for my purposes.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amazon has touch screen finger tip covers that can slip onto finger and be used to manipulate the screens use Sygic as it works on the phone just like Google maps works on a desktop. Use finger to move highlighted route to another road. No waypoints so interruption.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Myroute-app is the one I am talking about. I did not know they had discontinued the free one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I might have to look at the myroute app. I was using google to make routes for D3WR, but was hindered by the waypoint issue. Thanks to all for the input.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I used to use the MyRoute App all the time for planning guided rides. Then I started using REVER. I prefer REVER over MyRoute. Check em both out. Both are easily used with Garmin products and all around easy to use.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I used to use the MyRoute App all the time for planning guided rides. Then I started using REVER. I prefer REVER over MyRoute. Check em both out. Both are easily used with Garmin products and all around easy to use.
    +1 for REVER.... very easy to build routes

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Rever here. I create my routes on the Rever website from my PC, then save them and download the .gpx files. Then copy them into my Garmin gps. I don't use them for turn by turn directions. I display them on the map highlighted in a bright color and just follow them as best I can. If I miss a turn I just navigate my way back to the colored path.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rever isn't going to happen but thanks. I should have my new Zumo XT by Friday (depending on holiday shipping). I d/l'ed Basecamp and I'll try to figure out how that works then load that into the Garmin.

Spyder Garage

Unless I'm misreading you, no, you won't figure our how to use BaseCamp and then load that, BaseCamp, into the Zumo XT. You will create a route using BaseCamp and upload the route to the Zumo. Here's the best tutorial for BaseCamp: https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/. Do be aware that BaseCamp has a pretty steep learning curve but a lot of it uses the same principles as other route creation software and if you stick with it you will find it a pretty powerful program. If you still have my email address don't hesitate to shoot a note or call and I can walk you through steps. Also, don't be afraid to call Garmin Support, 800-800-1020. The techs there are always very helpful; however, some are more knowledgeable about BaseCamp than others because their primary focus is on the Garmin hardware.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been using Basecamp since they changed from Mapsource, they both work great with a Garmin GPS.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Unless I'm misreading you, no, you won't figure our how to use BaseCamp and then load that, BaseCamp, into the Zumo XT. You will create a route using BaseCamp and upload the route to the Zumo. Here's the best tutorial for BaseCamp: https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/. Do be aware that BaseCamp has a pretty steep learning curve but a lot of it uses the same principles as other route creation software and if you stick with it you will find it a pretty powerful program. If you still have my email address don't hesitate to shoot a note or call and I can walk you through steps. Also, don't be afraid to call Garmin Support, 800-800-1020. The techs there are always very helpful; however, some are more knowledgeable about BaseCamp than others because their primary focus is on the Garmin hardware.
    I meant I'd create a route in Basecamp then load it into the Garmin. I should have been more specific. My bad. I'll check out that link. I've heard Basecamp had quite the learning curve. I downloaded it the other day and I can't even figure out how to zoom in enough to find my street. I still have your email addy and I'm sure I'll either email or call you when I get stuck. Thanks.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I meant I'd create a route in Basecamp then load it into the Garmin. I should have been more specific. My bad. I'll check out that link. I've heard Basecamp had quite the learning curve. I downloaded it the other day and I can't even figure out how to zoom in enough to find my street. I still have your email addy and I'm sure I'll either email or call you when I get stuck. Thanks.

HAGO!
    You can use the mouse wheel to zoom, but you have to have a map other than the generic US map to get any detail. That's what comes standard
    with Basecamp.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Unless one wants to buy maps to update BaseCamp if your Garmin device has lifetime maps whenever Garmin issues a map update you download it to the Zumo using Garmin Express and when it's loaded in the Zumo there is a function in Express to download it to BaseCamp. Only the Generic US map comes with BaseCamp because it's free.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, my last Nuvi came with lifetime maps, and I download yearly to the GPS and the computer to keep things current.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I've heard Basecamp had quite the learning curve. I downloaded it the other day and I can't even figure out how to zoom in enough to find my street.
    I had a garmin with base camp to try and create my routes the way I wanted. basecamp is like the BRP Connect, just so user UNFRIENDLY. I sold it and went to TomTom when they started curvy roads routes. Now with RT, I'm back to garmin, which is OK, it has curvy option too - 595
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

As a ride leader, I've tried many mapping softwares over the last few years. Not only do I want to be be able to use the multi-point route map for myself, but also to be able to easily share it with the ride sweep(s). That means using something that offers an exportable GPX file that can then be loaded into someone else's Garmin, Ride Command (Indian) etc. What we have settled on for now is the free version of MyRouteApp to create the route, then making a GPX file to share. My personal preference is to also create the ride on Scenic and use that for ride-day navigation on my iPhone. Why Scenic? Beautiful maps, unlimited waypoints and best of all, if I miss a waypoint while riding, it won't try to force me back to that way point (what we call "spinning"). It just re-routes on the fly. It also allows differentiation between a waypoint (called via point) and a true waypoint (like planned gas station or restaurant). Another ride leader likes the Kurviger app. I can't justify getting a dedicated platform, like a Garmin unit, when there are so many good mapping apps that can be used on a phone.
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i