Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Buzzing noise after shut down

I had this buzzing noise after shut down for sometime and I thought it was hid lights but it’s still there even after hid is removed.
    It is there for long time after shut down, like a hour or two but stops immediately when battery is disconnected.
    Any idea? Hard to tell exactly where it’s coming from.
    Thank you in advance.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, it's normal. Peggy's 2013 STS-SM5 does it every time you turn the key on, and turn it off, or shut off the Spyder after
    running the engine. I read in the service manual what it is, but I can't remember.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I take it you are ryding an 09 SE5?? (It always helps to either let potential readers know what year, model, and transmission you are talking about - either in the actual text or as a permanent fixture in your Sig Line - see mine below, the 2013 RT Ltd's were all all SE5's. )

Anyhow, if you are ryding a Spyder that has a V-Twin motor & not the 1330 Triple, then it's normal and it actually NEEDS to happen!! It's the noise of a stepper motor that's holding the throttle bodies closed so that the engine can't ignite any gas fumes after shut down and either run on, or at the further extreme end of the scale, burn your Spyder to a crisp!

If you actually time the duration of the noise, it should really only run for about 30 mins or so; but I believe there is some variation to that depending upon the temperature - higher temps mean it stays on a bit longer. So if it's really hot where you are, or where you park & shut down your Spyder, then a bit longer might be acceptable - but if it's really running that stepper motor for as much as 2 hours from the last time you turned the ignition off, then you probably need to get it checked!

Other than that, it's normal; learn to enjoy it as one of the 'undocumented features' of these hi-tech engineering marvels that we ryde!

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry. I have 2015 RS now.
    I’ve never noticed it on 09 and only noticed it after HID installation on 15 but if it’s normal...
    Thank you.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Now that we know the year and model of your Spyder. The following is on page 39 of your owners manual.

All Models
    This vehicle is equipped with an Electronic
    Throttle Control (ETC).
    Each time the ignition switch is turned
    OFF, the ETCmotor stays energized for
    40 minutes.
    The ETC motor will emit a high frequency
    sound during this period of
    time that can be heard in a quiet environment.
    This is a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

On your 09. That had a mechanical throttle and the throttle was held shut by a spring. No spring on the electronic throttle and if it is not held shut while the engine is hot. It may be hard to start.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Now that we know the year and model of your Spyder. The following is on page 39 of your owners manual.

All Models
    This vehicle is equipped with an Electronic
    Throttle Control (ETC).
    Each time the ignition switch is turned
    OFF, the ETCmotor stays energized for
    40 minutes.
    The ETC motor will emit a high frequency
    sound during this period of
    time that can be heard in a quiet environment.
    This is a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

On your 09. That had a mechanical throttle and the throttle was held shut by a spring. No spring on the electronic throttle and if it is not held shut while the engine is hot. It may be hard to start.
    Bingo. Had an 09 and still some issues on the 2010 RT with hard, hot, starting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

High pitched whine is normal. Throttle body plates being held closed to aid in hot starts.
    2013 RT , White