Spyder Garage

Default Warranty Question

I was talking to a spyder owner today. He said if It was not A BRP Accessory and installed by shop techs there would be warranty problems. As a new owner, I do most of my own work and installations of accessories lighting and mechanical work. Just wondered if there was any truth to this. Trying to avoid future issues. Thanks

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are you asking about warranty on the added accessory or overall warranty on the machine?

For an accessory, such as a windshield, if fasteners are over-tightened, causing the polycarbonate to crack; then it would not likely be warrantied.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't expect BRP to warrant any non-BRP product. If you are adding a genuine BRP accessory, go to their website and check and see if it's covered and if there are exclusions. Generally, accessories carry their own warranty along with their own exclusions.

Spyder Garage

Do a search on the Magnuson Act. You as the owner are entitled to do your own maintenance without voiding the overall warranty as long as you follow the owners manual and/or service manual. If you do anything to any subsystem, such as the exhaust system, you could potentially be voiding the warranty on the exhaust system, but not the rest of the vehicle. That's why Can Am says that the Akrapovic exhaust is the only exhaust that won't void your warranty. If you decide to add aftermarket lighting to your bike, and you splice into CanBus wiring looking for power, you will definitely be screwing up, and will void any electrical warranty. However, if you decide to add aftermarket lighting and do the job correctly, (picking the right circuits, fuses, wiring, etc.) you will not void the warranty.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks that’s what I thought. I have been in the auto repair business for over 30 yrs and properly installed accessories should not interfere with warranty. The guy I talked to said his dealer said anything not BRP was a no no.

Spyder Garage

For this reason, I installed a fuse block for added electrical accessories. It's powered via a relay that is energized only when the ignition is on. This way, the bike's fussy electronics are avoided.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Montiniauto View Post
    The guy I talked to said his dealer said anything not BRP was a no no.
    Sounds like he needs to leave the stealer and find a dealer.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    For this reason, I installed a fuse block for added electrical accessories. It's powered via a relay that is energized only when the ignition is on. This way, the bike's fussy electronics are avoided.
    I've been debating rather to add a fuse block or not on my 2021 STS. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I will need to tap in somewhere for the trigger wire. I'm concerned that will cause the warranty to be voided since I am technically tapping into the electrical system for the trigger wire. If I do install the fuse block I have the following questions:

What did you hook the triggerwire to?
    What size fuse did you use on your trigger wire?
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (Sea to Sky)
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Elka Stage 2 Shocks

Spyder Garage

I used the accessory wire because it's fused and on only when the ignition is on. I can not imagine installing a fuse block would void or complicate a warranty. For one thing, it spares the fussy canbus system of the Spyder. Here's the fuse block similar to the one I got....https://www.banggood.com/IMars-10-Wa...N&rmmds=search

It's mounted above the battery on my F3L.

FUSE BLOCK.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Bottom Line: There are some items if added, and then causing "harm" to the Spyder that could cause some contention concerning warranted or not.

On the other hand, some of the wording of the warranty is to encourage people to invest in the higher priced "genuine" BRP accessories as opposed to going to aftermarket.

Examples would be seats, handlebars, back rests and lighting. We have not had much discussion on the site over any of these items being cause to void the warranty.

Common sense, etc. should prevail.

I don't recall anyone having to invoke the "Magnusson Act" to get relief from BRP concerning warranty issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a discussion I've had with the dealership where I have my '17RTL serviced. I bought my '17RTL from another dealership and had hells trouble with them and switched, they have been absolute legends and have spent a lot of time on the bike at no cost to me. They agreed that I have a good and long enough relationship with them to know me and my RTL. They have spent time investigating things that could have been either way - my fault or warranty. On each occasion they have been great, and open about "you lost a thingy here and we've replaced it at no charge".

While I was open to doing my own maintenance, I'd rather pay someone to deal with it. I think there is added value in a good relationship with a good dealership - we trust one another and cut each other some slack. I think I am biased as I run my own business and have the same kind of relationship with some of my clients
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your go-between you and BRP is the dealership's service manager. Some managers work for you, which they're supposed to, and some don't give a rat's you know what. There are horror stories on this site where service managers don't help their customers and go so far as rip them off. I've always felt there would be a value in having a dealership rating page on this site with which dealers can respond to. I think it would be beneficial particularly to potential buyers and new owners.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Your go-between you and BRP is the dealership's service manager. Some managers work for you, which they're supposed to, and some don't give a rat's you know what. There are horror stories on this site where service managers don't help their customers and go so far as rip them off. I've always felt there would be a value in having a dealership rating page on this site with which dealers can respond to. I think it would be beneficial particularly to potential buyers and new owners.
    I agree with that. Now we need someone who can make it happen.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Input from one mod: This has been discussed a few times. The problem with rating any dealer (good or bad service) is that it is totally subjective. Three people, using the same dealer, may have three entirely different ratings. All is based on THEIR experience with that dealer. And then you get the occasional person who don't like what happened (even if the dealer was right). They will do their best to smear the dealer and give them a black eye. THEN the trouble begins. The site may end up being liable for a law suit if something gets published that is not right, and sometimes even if it is right, could leave us open to litigation.

We do hear about these issues sometimes, and depending on what is said, what is verifiable, etc., we will let it run or not. So much for PC. I am sure the other mods will chime in, but I am thinking we are pretty much in line on this subject.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-13-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I understand. It all comes down to truth or fiction. But in the end, it should be the dealer(stealer)ship that loses, not the customer. If I make an unintentional screwup I make it right and the customer is never charged for that service.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I understand. It all comes down to truth or fiction. But in the end, it should be the dealer(stealer)ship that loses, not the customer. If I make an unintentional screwup I make it right and the customer is never charged for that service.
    The riders who want to be informed do and will read dealer information on this site. Both sides do get represented. We cannot just say or suggest "don't go there." But a lot of customers do get the message.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I agree with that. Now we need someone who can make it happen.
    It appears that will never happen because everything is liability driven these days. All we can do is watch and listen and offer some advice now and again.