Thread: Bar Extension

Spyder Garage

Default Bar Extension

I was wondering if anyone knew of a product or bar that would extend the ends by about 1.25". I am 6'5" and have wide shoulders I have the right height and angle on the grips I just need them brought out more on each side. I tried the Helibars with no luck. Any thoughts?
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess it would depend on just which spyder you own.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I guess it would depend on just which spyder you own.
    2021 RTL. The bar height and angle are fine I just need them to be about 1.25" longer on each side.

Spyder Garage

Hey Schrek.....yeah, it’s hard to give a recommendations without year and model as Two Dogs mentions above, but I would assume at 6’5” you would be on an F3. Lamont makes a Billy Club bar which is taller than stock (unfortunately, they are currently on back order). I’m not sure of the stock bar width, but the width of the Billy Clubs is 34.25”, grip end to grip end, rider’s side (if that makes any sense)......not including end caps as many riders have something different. Yes, they can look like mini apes when used by shorter riders, but not so much for taller riders..... If that width is any better, I have a mugshot somewhere of me sitting on the F3-L with both the stock bars and the Billy Clubs for comparison... I love them.

A funny story....at my recent service, I watched a new, shorter mechanic take my F3 into the service shed, and the Billy Clubs did look like ape hangers with him riding. I then went to have a chat to Kevin, the sales guy. I was around the corner from his desk, sitting on a BMW K1600 bagger, and he came out to Kevin’s desk to ask if he had the F3 LidLox key.... he made the comment “why would ANYONE put apes on an F3”..... Kevin, being the humorist that he is, said - “I don’t know, why don’t we ask the owner?” The poor little fellow nearly wet himself when I walked around the corner and stood in front of him. I gave him the LidLox key and he took off like a startled rabbit. Apparently, he was a real smartarse, and Kevin had been looking for something to put the wind up him for some time. He was so happy, he even took me next door and shouted me lunch

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    2021 RTL. The bar height and angle are fine I just need them to be about 1.25" longer on each side.
    Bugger....you replied while I was typing, Schrek.......but the Billy Clubs will work on the 20+RT as well. I know you said the height and angle were fine, but you may have to choose whether the width is more important.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Bugger....you replied while I was typing, Schrek.......but the Billy Clubs will work on the 20+RT as well. I know you said the height and angle were fine, but you may have to choose whether the width is more important.

Pete
    Yea I do not want them higher just longer. My Friend had Helibars on his F3 and I loved them. I ordered them for my RTL and did not like them at all on that. Just sent them back today. Its the same bars which I do not understand. The geometry for the rider is vastly different between the RT and F3. I felt they became way to high even at the lowest setting on the RT compared to the F3.

A good friend of mine owns a fabrication shop. I just don't want to have to rebuild his entire website and manage it the rest of my life. If I know him that is what he will want for bending new bars in 10 minutes and powder coating them. He's "that" friend!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Yea I do not want them higher just longer. My Friend had Helibars on his F3 and I loved them. I ordered them for my RTL and did not like them at all on that. Just sent them back today. Its the same bars which I do not understand. The geometry for the rider is vastly different between the RT and F3. I felt they became way to high even at the lowest setting on the RT compared to the F3.

A good friend of mine owns a fabrication shop. I just don't want to have to rebuild his entire website and manage it the rest of my life. If I know him that is what he will want for bending new bars in 10 minutes and powder coating them. He's "that" friend!
    Hahaha...... yeah, that was going to be my next suggestion. Looks like you may have to put yourself in “debt” to get the bars you want, mate. I am thinking of getting the Helibars if I go down the new RT route. Was it only the width of the Helibars that was in question for you, or couldn’t you find a comfortable wrist position? (I still don’t know why Helibars did somehow include the option of being able to extend the bars). It wouldn’t matter if you had the bars intruding into the mid space if you wanted the bars narrower. Oh well. Just out of interest, how long is your inseam? Mine is 37” which makes brake access a bit tight (but will be fixed by longer/higher seat).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

My inseam is 34. The helibars on the RTL had a few issues. Because I sit higher up then what I feel on the F3 the rise was crazy. When the bar was forward to give a lower rise I felt it was to close to me. When I set them back it was full on ape hangers. I could not get the angle I needed. There is almost to much adjustment. After 6 hours I gave up. Its not in me to settle so I know I would always be adjusting. Its just not in my personality to have something that customizable.

Spyder Garage

Yeah......truth be known, I’m probably exactly the same as you. With my new seat lifting me up and moving me back, I might need the Helibars and Can Am’s new adjustable riser to get a good position. Fortunately the width of the stock bars is OK for me, so that’s ONE variable out of the equation. Thanks mate

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Hi all,
    New to the forum and new to riding. Just got a 2021 RTL myself.
    I know very little about bars and how everything is connected, but would this work?

Can you have a machine shop turn a post (actually 2) such that the OD is the same as the OD of the bar (this part being 1-1/4 long) with a pilot diameter that is decent length to fit inside the tube of the bar for rock solid support.
    Cross pin it and file smooth the pin. Then remount the grips 1-1/4" outboard.

Spyder Garage

I use Lamont's Lid-locs on my 15 and they extend the bars about the inch you are looking for.