Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Need suggestions on shed in a box modification

Not sure how to word the title. Sorry.

Woodaddict and I (mostly Woodaddict) put up a Shelterlogic Shed-in-a-box Monday. The "door" is about 8' wide and is supposed to roll up. There's no way to cleanly roll up an 8' wide piece of tarp. I bought a 1" diameter, 8' long wooden dowel and some screws/washers and plan to attach that to the bottom of the door so that I can cleanly roll it up but I have some concerns.

I bought fender washers hoping that this would keep the screws from tearing through the tarp/door when it's closed (the bottom of the door doesn't reach the ground so the dowel will hang) however now I'm concerned that the washers will wear into the tarp/door when it's rolled up, too. The perfect solution would be curved washers but I couldn't find any and don't have any way of bending these. When the door is rolled up, it shouldn't move so maybe the washers won't rub against the tarp/door and it won't matter. I dunno. Suggestions?

HAGO!

PS--I bought a 12x12x8 round top shed. What I got was a 12x12x9.5 peaked top. I'm ok with that. (I paid for the round top. The peaked roof was about $100 more. Sux to be the vendor.) Shelterlogics directions need to be amended but I'll write up a review later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Look on Amazon.com for tarp grommets. If you get the kit it will have the anvil and setting tool included with it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I would have gone with thin wall PVC, and industrial strength velcro.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I agree with the pvc/velcro solution. I would fill the pipe with sand to weigh the door down when closed.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I think I would have gone with thin wall PVC, and industrial strength velcro.
    I hadn't thought about PVC and velcro. Now, that's good thinking, right there. Looks like I'll be making another trip to Lowe's after work.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I agree with the pvc/velcro solution. I would fill the pipe with sand to weigh the door down when closed.
    There are 2 zippers, one on either side of the door. No need for anything to weigh the door down but good thought.

Spyder Garage

I was thinking a PVC pipe and split it longways then install it along the bottom of the flap, but the velcro solution looks appetizing.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Picked up a 10' piece of PVC pipe and some industrial strength Velcro tonight. I'll wrap the bottom of the "door" around the pipe and secure it with Velcro tomorrow evening after work. Hopefully, the PVC pipe is light enough so that the Velcro won't come loose. I've got more work to do on the shed due to my lack of measuring expertise but I bought a piece of thin wall metal pipe for that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Picked up a 10' piece of PVC pipe and some industrial strength Velcro tonight. I'll wrap the bottom of the "door" around the pipe and secure it with Velcro tomorrow evening after work. Hopefully, the PVC pipe is light enough so that the Velcro won't come loose. I've got more work to do on the shed due to my lack of measuring expertise but I bought a piece of thin wall metal pipe for that.
    If you're really concerned about the velcro coming loose from the PVC pipe, pick up a small can of PVC primer. Use the primer on the PVC before
    you attach the velcro. The primer softens the plastic a little and will set back up when it dries, so your velcro should be immovable.
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got 4 or 5 of those cardboard "tubes" of adhesive primer. I'll definitely use one of those. Grand idea. I also picked up a couple LED shop lights. I'll run an extension cord from the porch outlet to the shed and hang these up. I'll keep the extension cord unplugged from the house when I'm not using it since the shed may or may not really be waterproof. I ALSO picked up one of those small rolling shop seats. My knees are shot as is my back.

Spyder Garage

If the cover leaks, you can spray Camp Dry (or similar) waterproofing to seal it.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shed is complete minus some minor trimming/drilling on a few of the cross bars (totally my fault as I can't measure). I added the PVC pipe to the inside bottom of the "door" tonight. It's not perfect (I need to adjust one side up a hair as the door rolls up a little crooked) but it should work well!

I also bought a couple plug in LED shop lights yesterday. One of them didn't come with the drop down mounting chains so I was a bit upset. Since it was dark by the time I got off work and I knew I'd be working inside the garage (it's mine and I'll call it what I like ), I installed ONE of the LED lights. Holy Christmas! That thing is bright. I believe one will be sufficient. Now I have a spare in case this one burns out (which is unlikely but you never know.

Now, I need one of those folding tables (6'-8' long, usually brown like you'd have at a pot luck or school) and one of those sort of flimsy 2 door lockable (sort of) cabinets I can bolt to the floor (for a little bit of security).

I also bought some of that foam pipe insulation (that surrounds a pipe). One of these days soon (not tomorrow as I plan to be riding most of the day) I'm going to loosen everything up and put the pipe foam around all of the bends in the pipes and over any connections. I hope this will eliminate some of the "hot spots" so this lasts longer.

I like giving credit where credit is due so......thank you, again, Woodaddict! Couldn't have done it w/o him. (Seriously. And he was even injured, to boot (no pun intended, bro) ).

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty slick. Congrats.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Nice work. That should do the trick.
    BTW how did you anchor the shed to the cement slab?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

now that little shed will get you into trouble now, finding more accessories for YOU to ADD on!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I had the same shed. I just took a 10' length of PVC pipe and slid it into the hemmed loop on the bottom of the door flap. No attachment necessary.
    FYI those sheds don't play well with New England winters. I did last 3 years but I had to stay ahead of the snow load during some of the storms.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Nice work. That should do the trick.
    BTW how did you anchor the shed to the cement slab?
    Bolted it to the concrete. It's not going anywhere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCod View Post
    I had the same shed. I just took a 10' length of PVC pipe and slid it into the hemmed loop on the bottom of the door flap. No attachment necessary.
    FYI those sheds don't play well with New England winters. I did last 3 years but I had to stay ahead of the snow load during some of the storms.
    Funny. I just did that last night. A long 10' piece works well in the front. I'm going to pick up a 20' piece of the same (to cut down to 12' 3") for the rear section.

I lived in New England (suburb of Boston) when I was a kid. I remember those winters. No, thank you. We don't get much of a "winter" where I live in NC. I'm hoping the tarp lasts for 5 years. If so, I'll spend another $200 for a replacement tarp then.

I did more "work" on the garage yesterday. I added another extension cord (in addition to the one that powers the light) so I can plug in a Dremel or another work light or whatever. I had to get creative running the cords. I added a rain loop (not sure what it's called) so I hope it keeps the rain out of the garage and off the porch.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is really coming together nicely. Going to have to try to get up that way and check it out in person. We did a day trip down to Carolina Beach yesterday. 285 miles round trip.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That is really coming together nicely. Going to have to try to get up that way and check it out in person. We did a day trip down to Carolina Beach yesterday. 285 miles round trip.
    Any time on a weekend. Just let me know, bro.

Sounds like a nice trip. I rode Saturday but ran out of time yesterday. Thursday is looking to be a nice day so I'm hoping to get in a good ride before they close the parkway.

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight is your FRIEND!!
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -