Spyder Garage

Default Cruising the web and found this

I was looking on Ebay and saw a guy making the cat delete pipe for the 1330 engines. The company, Baldwin Iron Works is making a cat delete pipe for the 1330 engine with a baffle included.. Is anybody using his delete pipe? I was just wondering the quality of the welds as the pictures he had posted weren't very good and hard to tell about the welds. Believe he was located in Sparta Mo. and seems he has it priced below any of the others that make them.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Welds are fine and as you say best price. I didn't even bother with the baffle and couldn't feel a power loss down low, in fact felt a slight boost if anything.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Stopped by his place (works out of home) on the way to Green Country Jamboree last month. Bought two and he put them on as part of cost. Other half kept the baffle out on her 2020 RT Limited with Lamonster IPS exhaust. I put the baffle in on my 2017 F3 Limited with an ALS exhaust. Tried it without first, but a little too loud. No noticeable changes in performance and quality of product is good. Comes with a spring puller also.
    Original: 2013 RT-Limited Pearl White (Bought New 07/2013 Traded @ 34,000 Miles)
    Current: 2017 F3-Limited Pure Magnesium Metallic (Bought New 07/2018)
    Current: 2020 RT-Limited Petrol Metallic Blue

Spyder Garage

Have a son in the automotive wholesale exhaust business and hearing from him about the crack down the EPA is doing on delete components, programmers and installers, I am a little surprised these guys are operating so openly across the web. Hope they all have deep pockets when the EPA arrives with their ticket book in hand. This year the EPA was auditing every piece of pipe that came through their(son's) business. He quite a few years ago quit stocking all delete pipes. Magna Flow and Flow Master both told him to cooperate completely and openly with the EPA when they come on site. He has first hand knowledge from a few of his customers about what happens when the gov suits walk in.

My highway pegs came from Baldwin BTW. After putting a little twist in the vertical bracket the pegs are just where I want them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    My highway pegs came from Baldwin BTW. After putting a little twist in the vertical bracket the pegs are just where I want them.
    I'm assuming you have a 2010-2019 RT. Also assuming the right side highway peg is also on the inside of the floorboard, I would NOT use them. You've just lost the ability to stand on the brakes. Part of the failsafe BuRP built in to the pre 2020 RTs was the breakaway right side floorboard. If you have to stand on the brake, the floorboard tilts down to get more pedal. It sure looks like that highway peg bracket will be in the way of that. It's your bike so do what you want but you've been forewarned, bro.

HAGO!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got my cat delete from them and am very happy with the quality. I didn't use the baffle, and it is quite loud. I want to try the baffle, but afraid I will not be able to remove it if I don't like it. Plus, I plan on doing a cpu flash and think I might need the extra flow.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm assuming you have a 2010-2019 RT. Also assuming the right side highway peg is also on the inside of the floorboard, I would NOT use them. You've just lost the ability to stand on the brakes. Part of the failsafe BuRP built in to the pre 2020 RTs was the breakaway right side floorboard. If you have to stand on the break, the floorboard tilts down to get more pedal. It sure looks like that highway peg bracket will be in the way of that. It's your bike so do what you want but you've been forewarned, bro.

HAGO!
    So you are saying Baldwin's design is faulty?

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have a son in the automotive wholesale exhaust business and hearing from him about the crack down the EPA is doing on delete components, programmers and installers, I am a little surprised these guys are operating so openly across the web. Hope they all have deep pockets when the EPA arrives with their ticket book in hand. This year the EPA was auditing every piece of pipe that came through their(son's) business. He quite a few years ago quit stocking all delete pipes. Magna Flow and Flow Master both told him to cooperate completely and openly with the EPA when they come on site. He has first hand knowledge from a few of his customers about what happens when the gov suits walk in.
    I believe the EPA/Feds have always frowned on shops removing/deleting pollution control gadgetry. OTOH, I've not seen anything about private
    individuals removing said pollution control gadgetry. The main caveat would be if your state has smog control testing, then you could certainly
    run into issues if you couldn't pass the smog tests.

I believe the EU has some draconian regulations about removing OEM equipment of any kind.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I believe the EPA/Feds have always frowned on shops removing/deleting pollution control gadgetry. OTOH, I've not seen anything about private
    individuals removing said pollution control gadgetry. The main caveat would be if your state has smog control testing, then you could certainly
    run into issues if you couldn't pass the smog tests.

I believe the EU has some draconian regulations about removing OEM equipment of any kind.
    The US has a federal law about "anyone" removing such equipment. They have gone after manufactures of pipes to do deletes. When they get around to chasing motorcycles in anyone guess.

Spyder Garage

First its a primary muffler delete as that is what the part being removed is called by BRP. The primary muffler. Replacing a muffler and other exhaust components on motorcycles is not illegal. Nor are they illegal to manufacture and sell. At least under current rules.

Second, there is no emissions inspection on motorcycles in ANY state. Not even California.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"the EPA currently does not, nor does it have plans to prosecute individuals who modify their car's emissions systems. Rather, the EPA is more concerned with manufacturers selling emissions defeat devices "in bulk."
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    First its a primary muffler delete as that is what the part being removed is called by BRP. The primary muffler. Replacing a muffler and other exhaust components on motorcycles is not illegal. Nor are they illegal to manufacture and sell. At least under current rules.

Second, there is no emissions inspection on motorcycles in ANY state. Not even California.
    So it is not a Catalytic Converter?

From my owners manual.
    NOISE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM REGULATION
    Tampering with Noise Control System
    Is Prohibited!
    U.S. Federal law and Canadian provincial
    laws may prohibit the following
    acts or the causing there of:
    1. The removal or rendering inoperative
    by any person other than for
    purposes of maintenance, repair or
    replacement of any device or element
    of design incorporated into
    any new vehicle for the purpose of
    noise control prior to its sale or delivery
    to the ultimate purchaser or
    while it is in use or
    2. The use of the vehicle after such
    device or element of design has
    been removed or rendered inoperative
    by any person.
    Among those Acts Presumed to
    Constitute Tampering Are the Acts
    Listed Below:
    1. Removal or alteration or the puncturing
    of the muffler or any engine
    component which conducts removal
    of engine exhaust gases.
    2. Removal or alteration or the puncturing
    of any part of the intake system.
    3. Replacing any moving parts of the
    vehicle or parts of the exhaust or
    intake system, with non-compliant
    part.
    4. Lack of proper maintenance.

Just saying!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I was looking on Ebay and saw a guy making the cat delete pipe for the 1330 engines. The company, Baldwin Iron Works is making a cat delete pipe for the 1330 engine with a baffle included.. Is anybody using his delete pipe? I was just wondering the quality of the welds as the pictures he had posted weren't very good and hard to tell about the welds. Believe he was located in Sparta Mo. and seems he has it priced below any of the others that make them.
    I have a Baldwin Iron Works cat delete, and it is a nice piece. I (and a friend) actually stopped at Paul's shop last fall on our ride down to the Ozarks. He fab'd a pipe up on the spot, installed it and shipped my OEM cat back home for the cash purchase price. I run the baffle in and, to me, it is spot on with the OEM muffler. I have also tried it removed, and it is a bit too loud for me. I have a spare baffle on order. I will shorten it up a bit to try and tweak the sound. Easily removable.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm assuming you have a 2010-2019 RT. Also assuming the right side highway peg is also on the inside of the floorboard, I would NOT use them. You've just lost the ability to stand on the brakes. Part of the failsafe BuRP built in to the pre 2020 RTs was the breakaway right side floorboard. If you have to stand on the break, the floorboard tilts down to get more pedal. It sure looks like that highway peg bracket will be in the way of that. It's your bike so do what you want but you've been forewarned, bro.

HAGO!
    HOw does the break away work. I put my 225 lbs on the front of the right side running board and bounce up and down on it and it did not release. Is there an electronic control over it? Does it only release while on the road and braking hard? Confused?

Spyder Garage

So it is not a Catalytic Converter?

From my owners manual.
    NOISE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM REGULATION
    Tampering with Noise Control System
    Is Prohibited!
    U.S. Federal law and Canadian provincial
    laws may prohibit the following
    acts or the causing there of:
    1. The removal or rendering inoperative
    by any person other than for
    purposes of maintenance, repair or
    replacement of any device or element
    of design incorporated into
    any new vehicle for the purpose of
    noise control prior to its sale or delivery
    to the ultimate purchaser or
    while it is in use or
    2. The use of the vehicle after such
    device or element of design has
    been removed or rendered inoperative
    by any person.
    Among those Acts Presumed to
    Constitute Tampering Are the Acts
    Listed Below:
    1. Removal or alteration or the puncturing
    of the muffler or any engine
    component which conducts removal
    of engine exhaust gases.
    2. Removal or alteration or the puncturing
    of any part of the intake system.
    3. Replacing any moving parts of the
    vehicle or parts of the exhaust or
    intake system, with non-compliant
    part.
    4. Lack of proper maintenance.

Just saying!
    It appears the primary muffler does include a cat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had cat delete on my RS with akrapovic muffler but just could not take unfiltered emission especially when breeze was toward me, had to put the cat back on... performance loss was quite noticeable.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

HOw does the break away work. I put my 225 lbs on the front of the right side running board and bounce up and down on it and it did not release.
    Press down hard and quick on the brake pedal.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you are saying Baldwin's design is faulty?
    HOw does the break away work. I put my 225 lbs on the front of the right side running board and bounce up and down on it and it did not release. Is there an electronic control over it? Does it only release while on the road and braking hard? Confused?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What Idaho said. The feature is there to allow more brake pedal travel if you need full stopping power without having the brake pedal higher than it already is (which is too high). If the Baldwin design keeps the footboard from pivoting down then, yes. It's a faulty (and dangerous) design. I'm not saying it's not made well nor am I saying it doesn't look nice but safety comes first. If you can't stop in a panic situation, looks don't matter much since that nice looking and well made highway peg may be under the truck in front of you. As I said previously, it's your bike and you can do as you please. (If we ride together, you'll be in front. )

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

It appears the primary muffler does include a cat.
    Yeah .. Can-Am is kinda weird here. They call the actual catalytic converter the "Muffler Exhaust Primary Exhaust emission component" and the rearward, outside muffler the "Muffler Exhaust Sec. Carbon Black".
    https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...exhaust-system

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

There is a lever on the brake peddle that releases the floorboard. Press the pedal hard enough, the floorboard unlatches and drops.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My cat delete pipe was from ebay and it is well made and accurately designed to fit without any tweaks. The price was far less than the 'regular' suppliers and as stated, came with a useful spring puller. I ran without the baffles at 1st but after ~500 miles I put the 1st level baffle back in to reduce the volume a bit. Very easy job to do except for the top spring!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

I modified the right hand highway peg so it will tip out of the way if the floor board goes down. How do you delete attachments?
    Attached Images Attached Images