Spyder Garage

Default REAR PANEL REPLACEMENT help

Hi there, i am looking to either replace the rear panel or fix the one i have. one of the 4 tabs has broken off and its a pain in the rear trying to JB WELL IT BACK IN PLACE. ANY ADVICE GUYS ON WHATS NEXT. the part number 70831571. there 246.00 ....the caps represent how fed up i am with can am dealers....every time i have brought my bike in for simple stuff. i find that some thing is broken like tabs or missing bolts...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What year? What panel?

Spyder Garage

I also broke a tab off that rear panel piece. Used JB weld, reinforced with some thin strips of sheet metal . Works perfect. But--- many of the tabs on the spyder are very wimpy. Thanks CAN AM
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

If it is the panel that goes around the latches, i have 2 broken on mine. They have been that way for years. Not a problem for me. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    Hi there, i am looking to either replace the rear panel or fix the one i have. one of the 4 tabs has broken off and its a pain in the rear trying to JB WELL IT BACK IN PLACE. ANY ADVICE GUYS ON WHATS NEXT. the part number 70831571. there 246.00 ....the caps represent how fed up i am with can am dealers....every time i have brought my bike in for simple stuff. i find that some thing is broken like tabs or missing bolts...
    Like has been mentioned knowing what the panel is will help us help you ..... Large parts can be expensive, however I would consider making a small sheet metal tab and POP riveting it in place of the broken on ... you can Paint the rivet before using it, so it's not as noticeable.... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Make sure any epoxy you use for repairing the tabs SPECIFICALLY mentions ABS plastic.
    Polyester 5 minute epoxies don't generally bond well to the body panels.
    When making larger repairs, I also use fiberglass joint tape to back up the epoxy. You might want to add some tape to your tabs.

This is my go to plastic repair.:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee

Here is the fiberglass tape:
    https://www.amazon.com/Outus-Self-ad...5667887&sr=8-6
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default REAR PANEL REPLACEMENT help

Go to Ace, Lowes, home depo, menards and get ABS cement, this will make a stronger repair than what the original part was. or you can make your own with acetone and shavings of ABS in a glass container. The acetone dissolves solid abs chips to paste consistency.

Al in Kazoo

PS you can go to Goldwingdocs website, look in their how to section for repair of ABS tabs and panels.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Go to Ace, Lowes, home depo, menards and get ABS cement, this will make a stronger repair than what the original part was. or you can make your own with acetone and shavings of ABS in a glass container. The acetone dissolves solid abs chips to paste consistency.

Al in Kazoo

PS you can go to Goldwingdocs website, look in their how to section for repair of ABS tabs and panels.
    Thanks for the reminder Al. I had forgotten about being able to do that. It's going to come in very handy.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Good morning guys. its the rear panel , the one just below the grab rails that rap around to the pther side. it has 4 tabs and its a 15, i bought this bonding apoxy from an auto body
    shop and a plastic welding kit from harbor freight . i also added a small peace of mesh. Why does BRP make such flimsy panels.. any way the part is 246.00 and reading what you guys have done helped me fix this in one day. guys thank you , there are times when your working on these bikes that you feel like your situation is unique. its not and to have a forum that you can reference is pretty cool. guys thanks again now i am off to installing front shocks

Spyder Garage

Hi Mate", I have a 2010 RT SE5 Techno, and I have had the same issue with that panel so I purchased a new one and the other week when servicing the oil change procedure I noticed the tab had broken again, but in a different location. I repaired it with Glass fiver repair kit. I am not paying over $400.00 AU for a new one ever agan,

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

If it's the panel that goes around the back over the latches, the two tabs at the end break off in the cold in the winter. Both of mine broke, didn't bother to fix them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Fixed spacing to ease reading

Spyder Garage

I went to harbor frieght and bought there plastic welding kit. It works very well but be patient.

Spyder Garage

Default following...

mine too, and now I don't know where the tabs that broke off got to.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

If the dealership broke them, make them replace it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

hello, from what i can tell it may have been broken for a while, It was in the shop for the air bag pump. i fixed it and installed the new spring .. While i had the panels off i installed some led lights from lamonster, more to come .....