Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Lousy dealer service on the latest recall

Got the letter about the nut recall 3 weeks ago and immediately made an appointment with the dealer. They told me to come in this morning at 9am which I did. They took the Ryker in back while I waited for an hour only to be told they didn't have the parts in stock!!! Here we have a national recall on ALL 2019 and most 2020 Rykers and the dealers don't seem to know what's going on. You would think that after the first recall of wheel nuts they would keep a few in stock just in case. I was unhappy and I told them to call when they can finally do the recall. Frankly, after 9280 miles without any problems and was not included in the first recall, I will keep riding as I have been. This stinks!

Spyder Garage

Don't hold your breath for them to call you back.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Don't hold your breath for them to call you back.
    & hopefully the system didn’t count as fun just because you went in.

(I understand dealer is supposed to input something, but thing do happen)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That goes a long way to answer my Question, Is there any good dealer in New Mexico???????????

That is beyond unbelievable.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I sent in a filled out a form on my dealers Web sight to schedule an appointment for the nut safety recall last Thursday, 11/12/20. I only got a standard reply thanking me for selecting them. Do to my location I had to check the weather forecast temps. My 3rd and last choice was SPRING, after Rally's hibernation. I was already starting to assume that they had to order the nuts. I'll most likely ride my Rally a couple more times, or at least once for the warmup before an oil change. My built date is 10/18 which put it in the original "OK to ride" group. Probably still OK anyway. They most likely decided to upgrade ALL builds to the new nuts. "Better safe than sorry."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

rakerry, post #1, man this is so typical. Captive business, captive customers, the big question, do they care, "nope".

Spyder Garage

I call first with my vehicle's information and request they order the part(s) if not in stock and call when they are in. Then I make the appointment and ask to have my parts held for me. This saves me a lot of grief.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rakerrykerrider View Post
    ...You would think that after the first recall of wheel nuts they would keep a few in stock just in case...
    BRP's management of parts logistics is, IMO, miserable. Some dealerships are just as bad, if not worse, and many of them at this time of year purposely stock as few parts as absolutely necessary to avoid having to pay tax on inventory at year end. You should consider sending a polite email to brp.care@brp.com explaining the entire situation with the dealership and ask them for some help. Do include your telephone number and ask them to contact you with a solution. The worst you can expect is a polite boilerplate reply that you must have mistaken them for someone who really gives a crap.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Also in NM.

Can I ask which dealer?

Thanks
    2020 RT-L , Lamonster brake pedal riser Red

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer and asked if they had the nuts in stock before I made my appointment this past summer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I call first with my vehicle's information and request they order the part(s) if not in stock and call when they are in. Then I make the appointment and ask to have my parts held for me. This saves me a lot of grief.
    Don't put a big bet on that one either, my dealer had the VIN # and still got it wrong, so an l.5 hour ride back home. Well, I got a nice ride out of the screw up so it wasn't a total waste.

Spyder Garage

This recall is for a serious safety issue which could conceivably cause injury or death to the rider. Picture riding 75mph on a busy freeway and a wheel falls off! You would think any dealer with $.02 worth of brains would immediately check their records, count how many 2019's they sold and order wheel nuts to cover them. The dealer is at fault but so is Can Am who should jump on dealers to take this seriously and be prepared. I have lost all faith in Can Am over this situation. Why is this recall been issued? No reason given. Does this mean that all owners who had the wheel nuts replaced last year after the first recall will still need new ones? I'm still fuming about yesterday and for those in southern NM asking about the dealer, it is R&S.

Spyder Garage

i know i posted this in a different thread but just a reminder that it is important to have this recall done. It was a giant pain in the backside and my dealer is beyond horrible with customer service i was just more of a pain in the backside. 20200328_144952.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    i know i posted this in a different thread but just a reminder that it is important to have this recall done. It was a giant pain in the backside and my dealer is beyond horrible with customer service i was just more of a pain in the backside. 20200328_144952.jpg
    Never saw a Ryker wheel nut off the bike before- it looks structurally inadequate to be the singular barrier to keeping a wheel from coming off. Makes you wonder why they moved away from using multiple wheel nuts to secure the wheel.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Never saw a Ryker wheel nut off the bike before- it looks structurally inadequate to be the singular barrier to keeping a wheel from coming off.
    The recall I received this week was only for the retainer ring...why go to a dealer to verify the rings are present?

As for the nut, it is large enough to require a 2 1/2" 12 point socket

Reminds me of MG / Austin-Healy circa 1960s with knock off spinners; although they had left and right hand threads.
    Early years had 12 threads per inch, then changed to 8 threads per inch, perhaps for quicker removal.
    No wrench required, just a mallet.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I don't know what you're looking at but my recall letter specifically states that "Wheel Nut may Crack" and "the wheel nuts may crack resulting in a reduced clamping force. This could affect the integrity of the wheel assembly and the vehicle's handling and control. This may increase the risk of a crash" I guess you didn't look very closely since you don't own one anyway.

Spyder Garage

I was reading my retainer clip recall notice that mentioned nothing about the nuts... Thinking that it was unnecessary for a dealer to verify that the retainer clips were properly installed, I tossed it; but if I get a reminder I'll take a photo of it and post it to the forum.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

BTW, I was visiting with the mechanic during much of the assembly of my Ryker and he volunteered that the wheel nuts were new style. If that was properly recorded, I would not expect to get a nut recall notice.

Spyder Garage

My 2020 has the new style nuts and I also received a recall notice. The notice specifically states that they want to check the torque specs on the nuts, and inspect the red locking clip for proper installation. I knew about the original recall when I purchased it in July, so I inspected the nuts to ensure that it had the new ones and that the clips were installed correctly. I've done periodic inspections of the wheel nuts & clips just about weekly just in case.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Get used to the lousy Dealer service, it goes with owning a Spyder !!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I sent in a filled out a form on my dealers Web sight to schedule an appointment for the nut safety recall last Thursday, 11/12/20. I only got a standard reply thanking me for selecting them. Do to my location I had to check the weather forecast temps. My 3rd and last choice was SPRING, after Rally's hibernation. I was already starting to assume that they had to order the nuts. I'll most likely ride my Rally a couple more times, or at least once for the warmup before an oil change. My built date is 10/18 which put it in the original "OK to ride" group. Probably still OK anyway. They most likely decided to upgrade ALL builds to the new nuts. "Better safe than sorry."
    My dealer emailed me Wednesday the 18th, so I had the new nuts put on today. (20th) I asked him if he had to order them. He said he had 3 sets left over from the 1st recall. Last set is going on a Ryker tomorrow. Then he has to start ordering them. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH MY DEALER. (Got home and did a prehibernation oil change)

Spyder Garage

Finally got the new wheel nuts install today and they did it quickly this time. New nuts don't look any different than the ones they replaced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rakerrykerrider View Post
    Finally got the new wheel nuts install today and they did it quickly this time. New nuts don't look any different than the ones they replaced.
    If you look at the tooth profile on the nuts, there well be one tooth that has a different shape to it than the others. Did they give you a certification that the nuts were torqued up to specs.?

Spyder Garage

Yes on the certification.

Spyder Garage

Must be a dealer issue, I live on the Oregon coast & called my dealer in Eugene yesterday, they said bring it in anytime. Rode in today and it was done in about 30 minutes. New nuts retainer clips and torgued to specs. Technician took it for a test ride to see if there were any issues that I “ had become accustomed to” good to go!