Spyder Garage

Default What's your favorite gear for cruising around on your SE6 spyder?

I love my 4th gear!! It will take me from 35mph (at 3,000rpm) to 70mph (at 5,000rpm) in no time flat. It's great for country roads as well as most 2 or 4 lane streets in my home town area. Just wondering which gear range you find most useful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't live in town so my favorite is 1 through 6, and an occasion R. I had to highball it for 80 miles (one way) on the freeway the other day and the traffic was running from 70 MPH to an occasional 85 MPH. When I got back I had over 1/4 of a tank left. WOW, I got 42.5 MPG! I couldn't believe it, I had to do the math twice, So I guess my most favorite gear now is 6th.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I don't live in town so my favorite is 1 through 6, and an occasion R. I had to highball it for 80 miles (one way) on the freeway the other day and the traffic was running from 70 MPH to an occasional 85 MPH. When I got back I had over 1/4 of a tank left. WOW, I got 42.5 MPG! I couldn't believe it, I had to do the math twice, So I guess my most favorite gear now is 6th.
    " 42.5 " mpg .... between 70 mph and 85 mph ..... !!!! ..... contact BRP ...IMMEDIATELY...... you have the Only Spyder ever made that got that amount of mpg's at those speeds, and they are going to want to get that Spyder back from you for testing ..... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    I love my 4th gear!! It will take me from 35mph (at 3,000rpm) to 70mph (at 5,000rpm) in no time flat. It's great for country roads as well as most 2 or 4 lane streets in my home town area. Just wondering which gear range you find most useful.
    My favorite gear changes constantly .... it depends on the geography of the roads, and what my intent is when I'm on them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My favorite gear changes constantly .... it depends on the geography of the roads, and what my intent is when I'm on them ..... Mike
    Exactly!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My favorite gear is the one that spins the engine at 3500-4000 rpm. That puts me at the start of the power band when I need it.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

We are lucky enough to live in Motorcycle Scenery Heaven. Twisties, hills, tree filled vistas, and enchanting farm scenes.

Most of the time, roads with no traffic. We like to travel these roads at 40- 45 mph. This is mostly 4th gear on our unless we are doing a 10 mph twistie or doing a combo twistie and hill climb...then it is down shift time.

If we get to 45 or slightly over, then I like 5th. We don't use 6th unless we are driving the high traffic 55 and up roads. Linda likes to get out on these roads and "open it up."

And, as posted above: "My favorite gear is the one that spins the engine at 3500-4000 rpm. That puts me at the start of the power band when I need it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-16-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " 42.5 " mpg .... between 70 mph and 85 mph ..... !!!! ..... contact BRP ...IMMEDIATELY...... you have the Only Spyder ever made that got that amount of mpg's at those speeds, and they are going to want to get that Spyder back from you for testing ..... Mike
    No way in he!! BK. BRP can go suck a hot rock. I can't believe it myself. The only thing I can figure is traffic was so tight my wind resistance was cut to "0". I've noticed in the past running with the wind gives you great fuel mileage, but on the trip home it's payback time. So there's no gain unless you catch it going both ways. But, such as it is, it maybe a long long time before that ever happens again. I hate riding like that. I think the term is called drafting.