Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited Radio Question

The question itself is pretty straight forward, but some back story might provide some additional insight. The question: In the photo below, what purpose or purposes does the connector plugged into the left side of the radio serve?

The back story is this: While removing the frunk to replace the fog light bulbs and wimpy OEM horn on our 2012 RT Limited I discovered two unexpected cables going through a grommet in the back wall of the frunk into the interior. When I unzipped the liner I was surprised to discover a Sena SM10 mounted to the rear wall complete with cables for USB power and audio-in. Unfortunately, the paperwork that was included the Spyder, when we bought it from a local dealer, didn't include anything regarding the SM10, and if we hadn't decided to remove the frunk to change bulbs and horn, we would not have known it was there!

The more I thought about it, despite the mounting location, I convinced myself the original owner installed the SM10 to stream the Spyder's stereo through a Bluetooth headset. To test the theory I paired the SM10 to one of our 20S EVO headsets and followed Sena's operating instructions - turn on the 20S EVO, turn on the radio and finally the SM10. Nothing. So I tried several other turn-on sequences and still nothing. To confirm the SM10 and 20S EVO devices were talking to one another I plugged an mp3 player into the SM10 and was rewarded with music through the 20S EVO speakers.

I didn't attempt to trace the cables to their other ends because it appeared major disassembly would be required, but I did access the radio module and, as you can see in the photo, discovered two connectors rather than the single connector on the right side that I expected to find. To try to determine what the function of the left side cable was, I unplugged it to see if it had any impact on the operation the stereo. There was no evident change at all, unless I've overlooked something.

If unplugging the cable doesn't have an adverse effect on the radio's operation, I thought we could order one of Motorcycle Dave's custom SM10 cables, mount the SM10 in the rear trunk per Dave's video, and then my spouse could stream Spyder music to her headset.

However, before ordering the cable, it would be very helpful to know whether the left cable is necessary or not. And thank you for your patience in reading all this!

2012 RTL radion cables.jpg
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes the smaller cable on the left that plugs into the radio is for the SM10, Dave has a video showing how to connect the cable to the rear trunk.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Thank you for the information; however, I apparently didn't explain myself as clearly as I thought. I'm aware of the info in both your responses. I have the SM10 instructions and I've watched the video several times. What I asked about is the purpose of the cable currently connected to the left of the radio. I can only guess without tracing the cables from one end to the other. Possibly Sirius/XM radio? Something else I'm unaware of?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Thank you for the information; however, I apparently didn't explain myself as clearly as I thought. I'm aware of the info in both your responses. I have the SM10 instructions and I've watched the video several times. What I asked about is the purpose of the cable currently connected to the left of the radio. I can only guess without tracing the cables from one end to the other. Possibly Sirius/XM radio? Something else I'm unaware of?
    I have a 14 RT so this may not exactly apply .... The OEM radio had a cable from the radio to the rear trunk that allowed devices to link in to the system ..... I didn't want my Sirius receiver in the trunk ( limited access ), so I dis-connected it in the trunk and moved it forward to the right-side on my glovebox ( I first stripped out those wires from the radio main harness, the cable was long enough to do this ) .... I think what you pictured isn't OEM, I don't remember seeing that connector ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a 14 RT so this may not exactly apply .... The OEM radio had a cable from the radio to the rear trunk that allowed devices to link in to the system ..... I didn't want my Sirius receiver in the trunk ( limited access ), so I dis-connected it in the trunk and moved it forward to the right-side on my glovebox ( I first stripped out those wires from the radio main harness, the cable was long enough to do this ) .... I think what you pictured isn't OEM, I don't remember seeing that connector ...... good luck .... Mike
    Thanks Mike, I tend to agree the left side cable isn't OEM. My 2015 RT-S doesn't have the left (second) cable and that improves confidence in my theory. One day when I've plenty of patience I'll likely chase the cable to it's other end to satisfy my curiosity. As it is, I believe I'll order one of Dave's SM10 cables and rig it so my bride can stream the Spyder stereo into her helmet.

Spyder Garage

The second connector on the radio is for the SM10. Fixed audio output and 12V from the radio. That connector is also used for CB radio for sure and I think for XM radio as well. So it depends on which optional module(s) you have, if any, if you want to disconnect it.

So you want to move the SM10 to the rear trunk. That's easy enough. But why would you need to buy a new cable? You already have one. Why not just use that one?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The second connector on the radio is for the SM10. Fixed audio output and 12V from the radio. That connector is also used for CB radio for sure and I think for XM radio as well. So it depends on which optional module(s) you have, if any, if you want to disconnect it.

So you want to move the SM10 to the rear trunk. That's easy enough. But why would you need to buy a new cable? You already have one. Why not just use that one?
    Thank you for the information, Billy. In the several years we've owned this Spyder we haven't discovered any optional CB or XM modules. If they were once a part of the machine, either the original owner must have removed them, or they are extremely well hidden. But then we only recently discovered the well-hidden SM10 behind the cloth liner in the frunk!

To use the existing cable might be a challenge and require an extensive cable tracing effort. You can see in the photo that the cable coming from the left side of the radio is only about four inches long before it plugs into the larger connector seen in the foreground. The two cables that exit that connector disappear into the depths of the machine. I suppose I'll have to find out where they lead to determine if the cable will be of any use. That's another stay-at-home work on the Spyder project to keep me entertained.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at this instruction. It might help. https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400458

The short harness is an adapter cable from the radio to the long harness that goes to the Sena dongle. If the bike had an entertainment harness, which yours does not, the Sena cable would plug into the connector that would otherwise plug into a CB. You can have either a CB or the Sena, but not both. That cable also supplies power to the dongle. The cable must be good since you say you played music through the AUX input of the Sena. Plug your MP3 player into the input the cable from the radio is plugged into. If you get sound there then there may be a problem with the audio part of the radio to Sena cable. Do you have the radio volume turned up? Make sure it's not on mute. The audio out of the radio the Sena connects to is the same audio out that feeds the optional CB radio. The CB is controlled via CanBUS signals passed through the radio. What I don't know is if the audio volume that comes from the CB is adjusted inside the CB or inside the radio. I suspect it's controlled in the radio which means if you have the radio audio muted you're not going to get a signal to the Sena.

HTH.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Take a look at this instruction. It might help. https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400458

The short harness is an adapter cable from the radio to the long harness that goes to the Sena dongle. If the bike had an entertainment harness, which yours does not, the Sena cable would plug into the connector that would otherwise plug into a CB. You can have either a CB or the Sena, but not both. That cable also supplies power to the dongle. The cable must be good since you say you played music through the AUX input of the Sena. Plug your MP3 player into the input the cable from the radio is plugged into. If you get sound there then there may be a problem with the audio part of the radio to Sena cable. Do you have the radio volume turned up? Make sure it's not on mute. The audio out of the radio the Sena connects to is the same audio out that feeds the optional CB radio. The CB is controlled via CanBUS signals passed through the radio. What I don't know is if the audio volume that comes from the CB is adjusted inside the CB or inside the radio. I suspect it's controlled in the radio which means if you have the radio audio muted you're not going to get a signal to the Sena.

HTH.
    Thank you! The instructions are exactly what was needed to clarify the issue. Our 2012 set-up looks exactly like the instruction diagrams. Now to go back and test things again.

I wasn't clear when I spoke of the mp3 test. I didn't have the SM10 plugged into the Spyder, but simply plugged the mp3 into the SM10 that I held in my hand and tested audio streaming to the 20S speakers. That worked as expected. Now, I'll try returning the SM10 to it's cradle in the frunk, plugging in the cables and testing the system.

When we tested it the other day, we followed the SM10 instructions: Turn on the Sena communicator, then turn on the stereo,, then finally turn on the SM10. That's what we did. The 20S said "hello," the Spyder stereo was playing through the bike speakers, and when we turned on the SM10, nothing changed. Sound through the Spyder speakers, but no sound through the 20S speakers. We'll experiment some more and see what, if anything, changes. Thanks again for the instructions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    When we tested it the other day, we followed the SM10 instructions: Turn on the Sena communicator, then turn on the stereo,, then finally turn on the SM10. That's what we did. The 20S said "hello," the Spyder stereo was playing through the bike speakers, and when we turned on the SM10, nothing changed. Sound through the Spyder speakers, but no sound through the 20S speakers. We'll experiment some more and see what, if anything, changes. Thanks again for the instructions.
    Try this, based on my experience with the CB. Go into the preferences screen and then to the audio settings. See if you have an option for headset mode. If so, set it to mix. Go back to External Speaker and turn it off. I don't know if the headset option is available without a CB installed, but I think it may be since there is a load connected to the audio output the CB uses.

There is a setting for headset volume front vs rear. I have mine set to 0, meaning both front and rear headset have the same volume. You might try setting it to 100% front.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Try this, based on my experience with the CB. Go into the preferences screen and then to the audio settings. See if you have an option for headset mode. If so, set it to mix. Go back to External Speaker and turn it off. I don't know if the headset option is available without a CB installed, but I think it may be since there is a load connected to the audio output the CB uses.

There is a setting for headset volume front vs rear. I have mine set to 0, meaning both front and rear headset have the same volume. You might try setting it to 100% front.
    The audio output that the SM10 uses is fixed and can only be muted. Except the gps can override the mute. The volume is not adjustable from the handlebar controls or menu setting. A general complaint is the volume from the SM10 is not high enough. That is fixed by using the volume doubler function on the SM10. Changing the menu settings for headsets has no effect. Since there are no wired headsets plugged in. The helmet BT headset and onboard speakers cannot be really used at the same time because the delay of the SM10 is so bad. It sounds like you are in a echo chamber. Turning the external speakers off, in the menu, works but inconvenient. I found it better to leave the external speakers on and just keep the volume as low as possible without muting. That way I could switch back and forth without going into the menu system.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The audio output that the SM10 uses is fixed and can only be muted. Except the gps can override the mute. The volume is not adjustable from the handlebar controls or menu setting.
    So headset volume from the CB, like I use, is controlled inside the CB unit? I wondered about that. Does the preferences screen show the headset options, or not, if a CB is not installed but a SM10 is?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Thanks once again. I can report that the info in your first paragraph works perfectly. If I hadn't asked the original question I probably would never have fumbled my way to the audio settings screen. I fiddled with the settings just now and was able to mute the onboard speakers and still have audio in my wife's helmet. More fiddling later today after I finish the chores already assigned me by she who must be obeyed.

Thanks to everyone who replied and provided information. This is a great forum!

Spyder Garage

The audio output that the SM10 uses is fixed and can only be muted.
    I sent the following question to RadioSound.
    The radio used on the 2010 to 2017 Can Am Spyder RT series has an audio output that supplies the audio input of the optional CB radio. When a CB is installed is the headset volume from the CB/Communications module varied inside the radio or inside the CB? I.e., is the audio output from the radio constant line level or variable?
    I just got this answer from RadioSound tech support.
    The CB output is adjusted by the radio. The output will vary according to the setting in the radio.

I've included the owner's manual in the hopes it helps.

Thanks.
    The owner's manual doesn't address the question I asked.

As to the volume coming from the SM10 I wonder if it would help if the rider went to the preferences screen and set the front headset volume to +50%. Do you know if anyone has tried that?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

In the 4 years that I used the SM10 on my 2013 STL. The Spyder volume control made no difference to the volume on the BT headset. I did play with the headset settings in the Spyder with no affect on the volume on the BT headset. What I actually did and the settings I adjusted, I don't remember. That was 6 years ago. It was discussed a lot on this forum back in 2013 and 2014. I seem to remember many folks trying the same thing. In the beginning the audio quality was not good in the BT headset because the volume had to be turned up so high. When Sena came out with a firmware update which added the ability to boost the audio volume from the SM10. That improved things a lot. If the input into the SM10 could have been boosted from the settings menu. Someone would have found it years ago.

2018 F3 LIMITED