Spyder Garage

Default Kill Switch Sensitivity

I have a 2020 RT and I am having an issue with my Kill Switch... Will some of you guys check and seed if your Kill Switch is as sensitive as mine is. All you have to do is barely put some pressure on it and the engine cuts off. Below is a video to watch and to show how sensitive it is. The end of the clip has the best view.

Thanks,

Spyder Garage

Yep, that's NOT normal for ANY YEAR Spyder &/or ANY Motorcycle for that matter, and I'd expect that kill switch, if not the whole control module, to be replaced - it's still under warranty isn't it??

There is no real way to adjust the sensitivity of that switch, but it's MEANT to have a positive & visible ACTION to operate, not just brushing it without changing the switch position!! And if it stops the engine while it's still in the RUN position, then it's quite simply NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE & should definitely be replaced!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Bad--------- an accident waiting to happen.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

with all of the above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree that’s too easy to engage.

Spyder Garage

I have blocked my kill switch from ever switching off by inserting a length of plastic zip tie behind he switch. A small amount, just long enough to grab with pliers, is visible. Having the kill switch kill everything at 100 km/ph on the freeway because it was accidentally bumped when adjusting the cruise control switch is not a fun happening. Why site such a deadly switch so close to another switch that is adjusted on the fly is beyond my understanding.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What does the Spyder Dealer have to say? Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 02:56 AM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a plan RezzleH.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    What does the Spyder Dealer have to say? Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    The Dealer was the one who discovered it. They made the video to send to BRP, The problem is getting BRP to replace it again. The switch cluster has been replaced once because the Kill Switch was preventing the starter switch from working.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    I have blocked my kill switch from ever switching off by inserting a length of plastic zip tie behind he switch. A small amount, just long enough to grab with pliers, is visible. Having the kill switch kill everything at 100 km/ph on the freeway because it was accidentally bumped when adjusting the cruise control switch is not a fun happening. Why site such a deadly switch so close to another switch that is adjusted on the fly is beyond my understanding.
    Hitting the kill switch going 100+ kph on a freeway should not be a problem for you. I've had it happen several times. You notice a sudden slow down, see the switch is in kill position, reach over and flip it back to run. Everything is back to normal very quickly except you need to reengage cruise control.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)