Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions on where to tap the tail light wires on a 2020 RT?

I want to add an LED tail light cluster below my license plate and tap into the common harness somewhere behind the seat without pulling tupperware if possible.

Anyone know how to identify the bundle?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Look under the rear panel (it pops right off). There's a connection there for the light on the top box. You can get running and brake lights but no signal lights.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

My question is can we add lights and hence load to the circuit with this Canbus system? I would like to add a l.e.d. Flashing stop light but am afraid to do this.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    My question is can we add lights and hence load to the circuit with this Canbus system? I would like to add a l.e.d. Flashing stop light but am afraid to do this.
    The short answer is: Yes you can.

Call Spyderpops (a SL sponsor). He makes a quite a few LED light packages for your Spyder.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    The short answer is: Yes you can.

Call Spyderpops (a SL sponsor). He makes a quite a few LED light packages for your Spyder.
    He lit my new F3L up very well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can add LEDs IF they are designed to work with Canbus. The unit I have came off my last bike w/canbus.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

You can add a brake light by tapping into the 3rd brake light on the top box.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on brake light products but as mentioned in OP, I want to re-use a $130 light assembly that does running, brake, and sequential signaling. I just need to locate which bundle to open to tap the wires. The signals are the key feature of the unit. The service manual lists the colors for each function but the bundle I opened under the rear seat has multiple same-color wires in it going to the rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Thanks for the info on brake light products but as mentioned in OP, I want to re-use a $130 light assembly that does running, brake, and sequential signaling. I just need to locate which bundle to open to tap the wires. The signals are the key feature of the unit. The service manual lists the colors for each function but the bundle I opened under the rear seat has multiple same-color wires in it going to the rear.
    It looks like you have a base RT without the top box. Assuming BRP uses the same wiring harness, there's power for run and brake lights (no signal lights) under the rear panel. It's easier to remove the rear panel if you first remove the passenger seat.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk