Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

HD’s since 1965, last several years of riding HD averaged 15,000 miles on bike. Last year lost hand strength for clutch and brake. On Rita’s 75th birthday in July 2020 we bought a Spyder RT and will as of today ridden 6800 miles. (We’re headed to Cedar Key for the weekend.)
    Five of our neighbors in our resort bought RTLs, all heavy duty hard core HD riders. Once you stop comparing to a HD and realize it’s own entity then the fun begins. Hold on because if it happens to you like it did to all of us you will want to ride every chance you get.
    2020 RT , Custom Black Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had ATV riding experience for several years before I moved from my GW to the Spyder. I took to it right away, but 60,000 miles later I'm still learning how far I can push it in the curves. I've been a bit uptight on a few at even 15 over the signed speed, and I've gone around some at 20 over. My on again, off again, riding opportunities this past summer dampened my comfort level.

So I would add to all the other comments that your confidence and comfort level will depend a lot on much you ride. More ride miles, higher comfort level.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I had a 1988 GL1500 GoldWing since 2004. I rode it for many years, putting 80k+ miles on it before it needed many repairs. Unfortunately, I let it sit for too long (since 2009 or 2010) and felt that it was going to cost more to fix than what it was worth. I sold it for next to nothing to make some room in the garage. Now in 2020 I got the itch to ride again, but my wife isn't comfortable on two wheels. I looked at GoldWing trikes, but wasn't sold on it. Voyager trike kit, out of the question. It looks like training wheels. A buddy of mine hade one on his GoldWing and it was horrible in the turns and just felt weird. I even looked at a GoldWing with a Tilting Motor Works kit on it (two wheels up front like the spyder, but you can still lean), but the kit alone was as much as a used spyder RT.

Then I started researching the spyders, specifically the RT's. I wanted a ride similar to that of the GoldWing I rode for years. I was looking at the 2010-2013's to get my feet wet to see if I'd like it, but could see the advantages of getting a 2014+ instead. I found a nice used one within an hour away. Looked at it on a Sunday, left a deposit and picked it up on Monday. Best decision ever. I love riding it. My wife loves riding with me. In fact, she's thinking about taking the training and getting her endorsement so she can ride too.

The one thing I don't understand is why do so many people buy these amazing machines & don't ride them? I saw one on cycle trader, a 2014 RT Limited that was loaded with accessories with less than 4000 miles on it. That's a crime! I ride mine every day to work and run errands. It seems strange to get into a car lately, but I'm ok with that.

Enjoy the change to 3 wheels, you won't regret your decision.
    2014 RT-S , Circuit Yellow Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruita View Post
    HD’s since 1965, last several years of riding HD averaged 15,000 miles on bike. Last year lost hand strength for clutch and brake. On Rita’s 75th birthday in July 2020 we bought a Spyder RT and will as of today ridden 6800 miles. (We’re headed to Cedar Key for the weekend.)
    Five of our neighbors in our resort bought RTLs, all heavy duty hard core HD riders. Once you stop comparing to a HD and realize it’s own entity then the fun begins. Hold on because if it happens to you like it did to all of us you will want to ride every chance you get.
    Enjoy Cedar Key. We'll be riding there with some friends Dec. 23rd.
    2014 RT-S , Circuit Yellow Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SignDude View Post
    The one thing I don't understand is why do so many people buy these amazing machines & don't ride them?
    Same reason they buy and don't ride Goldwings, HDs, BMWs, boats, and all sort of things. The initial rush and enamorment soon wears off and they can't stand the thought of bailing early in ownership. Or, life just gets in the way of living! I bought my 2013 RT from a guy who was just too busy to ride and his wife's health took a down turn. He needed room in his garage for his car, so the Spyder went, with only 615 miles on it! My 2014 was owned by a lady whose hubby was a Harley rider. I suspect peer pressure had a lot to do with trading it in to a Harley dealer, who then got rid of it quick to a Triumph dealer. I bought it with only about 650 miles on it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my early ‘14 RTS in mid ‘15. Gentleman passed away, so widow had it at the dealers on consignment. I’ve been having a wonderful time with it. There are many reasons why they are sold with low mileage.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

We are enjoying our used 2018 RTL chrome that had 5400 miles on it and came with helmets, Cardo Q3 intercoms, drivers backrest(not installed - did that), and Garmin GPS for 17.5k and no sales taxes. The 2014 we were looking at that a dealer had with 4300 miles for 15,995 would have cost as much when the sales taxes was added. AZ has no sale tax on a private sale, however with a dealer sale they collect sales tax. I did not think I wanted the complete electronic dash, however after the firmware up grade and ride it for a while, I am glad to have the new dash, even if BRP Connect is a bust. Loving it!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you absolutely LOVE the feeling of tilting the horizon during turns, you're not going to like the transition to 3-wheels.

That said, I'd keep the Harley and buy the Spyder if you can afford it. I have both, and find myself wanting to ride 2 wheels every now and then.

Good luck !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I rode a lot of dirty bikes when younger and had a Kawasaki 650SR road bike in the 80's. In the 1990's and 2000's we had snowmobiles and rode those a lot. The Spyder in more like the snowmobiles than the bikes I had. After about 3 weeks with the Spyder RTL I am feeling quite comfortable with it. I am a cruise control guy and the Spyder's cruise control works very well. DW does not like freeway traffic, and I am slowly working in short distances in freeway traffic to get her conditioned to it. We did a 80 mile loop trip today, and the last 6 or 7 miles were on highway 60 in Apache Junction area.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.