Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default From Harley Davidson 2 wheels to Can am Spyder transition

For years I been reviewing the Can-am models. Been riding Harley's for over 30 yrs. For those ex Harley Davidson riders. Any regret in letting go your 2 wheels? I guest I'm trying to find out what has been your experience. I have a local RT limited 2020 and a F3 limited available to make a decision. Any input will be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

depends on what kind of riding you intend to do.. the RT Limited is a great touring bike.. I would suggest you test ride both and see how they feel.. trust me, I was a 2-wheeler for many, many years and went to a Spyder 10 years ago.. it was without doubt the smartest move I ever made.. Now on my 4th Spyder and loving every mile.. there is a small bit of adjustment going from 2 wheel to 3 but after a few miles you will glad you changed.. good luck and happy riding.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

If you need to go to 3 wheels don't worry about it. You will like it.

The F3 LTD may be more what you are looking for coming from a Harley. If you are riding double though and doing long trips the RT is more what you may like better.
    I do have a Harley Ultra Classic Limited and Gold Wing and I also ride a F3 LTD.
    We also have a new 20 RT LTD, along with an older Spyder RT.
    Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and there is no solid answer for everyone, it is what you like and are comfortable on.

I can say that anytime we go out on one bike together it is on one of the Spyders.
    DealsGap0720-2.jpg
    20200504_143321.jpg
    20200709_094952.jpg
    Last edited by rick_w; 11-14-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Test Ride

Welcome, definitely do your homework and do test rides on both. The wife and I love our Spyder RTL. Good Luck on Your Mission. ........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2015 FLHTKL to a 2017 F3 Limited. This was one of the best motorcycle transitions I have made in the last 50 years (yeah I am old). The RT sits you on top of the Spyder whereas the F3 sits you down in the bike more. There is a section on this site for "Do's and Don'ts" great reading for both new and current riders. Give yourself enough seat time to re-learn how to ride and you will be fine. The SE6 shifter is semi-automatic with paddles on the left handlebar, no clutch or right handlebar brake. The best advantages of the Spyder are the reverse gear, and you do not have to put your feet down when stopped. Good luck with your choice, ride both models if you can, or at least take time to sit on them both.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

Welcome from another Schertz forum member. Small world, huh?

Both my wife and I transitioned from two wheels to a pair of Spyder RT models and have been very pleased. I've been riding two wheels since the early 1960s - everything from an old Harley Sportster, 750 and 850 Norton Commandos, BMW R100CS, BMW K75S, Suzuki GS750, Moto Guzzi, several more Suzukis, several Kawasakis, several Yamahas, and God knows what else I've forgotten. At this point in our lives (senior citizens) the Spyders are the best thing we've come across in a long time. The only two wheel motorcycle I'm the least bit interested in now is a vintage Scott Flying Squirrel. I'm not likely to find one I can afford, to I'm safe.

If you'd like to talk more about Spyders let us know by PM and we'll bend your ear.

PS. We bought both our new-to-us Spyders from Kent Powersports in Selma. We've been pleased with their after-purchase service, in part because they have one of the best Spyder technicians in the state, in our opinion.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I had both my 2009 FLHT (owned since new) and 2019 F3S in my garage for a season. I bought luggage/windshield to make my Spyder into a touring unit. Rode it 90% of the time, so sold my FLHT to a buddy. Every time I ride my F3S, I feel like a kid on a toy. ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

The test drive of both flavors is a very good idea. You need to get the one that YOU like best.

Having said that, I have been lucky enough to experience all models except for the Ryker. Two GS/RS models, three RT's, and one F3. I do like the F3 best.

It is said by many, myself included, the F3 rides like a cruiser and the RT rides like a Gold Wing. You sit "in" the F3 and you sit "on" the RT. If your worried about missing the HD, the F3 will be more your "friend."

I still have a Vulcan cruiser which also gets ridden a lot. I am approaching 10K miles on it this year.

Let us know what you get. And aboard the site.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Your choice might be dictated by fit and comfort more than anything else. I was going to buy a new RT, but when I tried one at the dealer, I was very uncomfortable on it. They had an F3 Limited and the way I felt on it was the deal maker. The adjustable (fore & aft) floorboards were mainly what did it for me.
    You sit lower in an F3 and their suspension is tighter. You might say the RT is the family sedan and the F3 is the sports car.
    The F3, it turned out is much easier to work on too, mainly because it has far less tupperware to have to remove and the dipstick, air and oil filters and brake reservoir are easily accessed through two service panels, which are easily popped off.
    I began riding in 1952, so I had 67 years on 2 wheels. I got my F3L less than two years ago and I gotta tell you, for me the learning curve was long and steep. A friend told be it will take 1,000 miles before I feel comfortable and another 1,000 miles before I feel like I'm in control. He was right. Now with over 5K miles, I am tossing it around in the twisties like a 19 year old who stole it.
    Would I go back to a 2 wheeler? Not a chance. Spyders are all the fun of one but without the worries.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Note that the 2020+ RT is re-designed from 2019 and older. You now sit lower than previous yrs and the long floorboards let you put your feet all the way forward to underneath your butt. The F3 foot pegs are adjustable but locked in place once adjusted which limits foot position while rolling. Another advantage of the long floorboards is getting on & off is easier.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.... When I looked at Spyders back in 09 ( at 64 ) I had 50+ yrs. on two wheelers ( every model type made ) never rode a Trike .... Because of medical issues I was forced off my Wing .... I tried the HD & GW tikes .... was not impressed at all ... then the Spyder ( 08 GS )..... traded my Wing after my test ride on the spot ..... I now have a 14 ( basic model ) RT this will be my last Spyder ( now 73 ) ..... The manager told me to drive it like a Car, I had zero issues during my test ride ..... others haven't been so lucky .... Spyders are Spyders no matter what model ( they all handle pretty much the same ). and usually takes 500 mi. to get comfortable, handling-wise ... comfort and convenience will need to be decided by the buyer. I'm a DIY'er so the basic model allowed me to improve /change to my needs for Little money. ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ain’t nothing wrong with having another bike at the stable 2 & 3 wheels here ,not just a spare bike either, has been great “renting” the two wheels out for buds with endorsement but no bike & we go out for trips or whatever. & rest of time simply alternate between the two not neglecting. 82806910-2252-4FBB-8897-1D9704C7A7C9.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info. Made a decision and bought the RT. That first two mile in congested traffic was a bit nerve wreck.

5fae19f99540ae40d26754d8.jpg
    Last edited by iditchmycar; 11-18-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Arion for the hint of the dealer.
    Last edited by iditchmycar; 11-18-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iditchmycar View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Made a decision and bought the RT. That first two mile in congested traffic was a bit nerve wreck.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I too came from Goldwing and Harley. Had a 2006 Goldwing, traded it for 2014 H-D Ultra Limited and traded that in for 2017 H-D Ultra Limited. September of this year sold the 2017 for 2020 RT Limited. Best thing I did. Harley friends cannot understand why I got rid of the H-D. Wife rides with me and said she wished we had the RT-L instead of the 2014 Limited when we did a 5,000 mile 3 week ride out west.

Spyder Garage

I have never owned a Harley. But I talk to a lot of Harley converts. One of the things the early owners tend to complain about is revving the engine and running at the prescribed RPM. They just feel like it's too much and damaging the engine. They say they have a hard time making themselves ride it as designed. Longer time Harley converts mention the same thing but say they finally just let go of their old ways and let the Spyder engine run where it's happy. You won't ever hurt the Spyder by running the RPM up. But you can create problems by running too low an RPM. The Spyder is simply a different animal. You don't ride a horse the same way you ride a donkey (no particular reference meant for either machine here. Just a visual of adjusting what you're doing to fit the mode of transportation).

The 998 V-Twin was more susceptible to lugging or low RPM problems than the 1330. But they are both designed to stretch their legs.

It is definitely a learning curve. But if you give the Spyder a chance. I think you're going to love it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have never owned a Harley. But I talk to a lot of Harley converts. One of the things the early owners tend to complain about is revving the engine and running at the prescribed RPM. They just feel like it's too much and damaging the engine.
    Spyder, or Harley? One of the guys in the local GWRRA chapter just spent a few thousand having his only few years old HD trike engine completely rebuilt because he did not rev it up. Dealer told him he was lugging the engine to death.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

2004 springer Pearl green and all chrome limited. Loved it. LOVE THE 2017 RT 100 Times MORE! My wife will never ride on the back of a 2 wheel again now. I've had others since 1987 but my Springer was my baby pride and joy. I will never ride another bike again. I LOVE my Spyder!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Spyder, or Harley? One of the guys in the local GWRRA chapter just spent a few thousand having his only few years old HD trike engine completely rebuilt because he did not rev it up. Dealer told him he was lugging the engine to death.
    I suppose you can lug anything. Even a Harley!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the new RT,now ride it like there is no tomorrow. Steer it like a 4 wheeler and you wont have any trouble. I came from 50 years on 2 wheels tho all my Harley's were antiques when I owned them in the 60's. I spent the the 35 years of my 2 wheel experience on Yamaha V4s. I thought I would never ride anything else even though Yamaha had abandoned them. Then is 2011 my wife and I had a bad accident on our Royal Star. Totaled it and nearly us. At 63 I was done with two wheelers. Tried convertibles but that was a no go, so I bought a Gold Wing Trike. The only thing positive I can say about it is that it kept me riding. Then I found an RT low miles at price I could pay,sold the Wing and the Mustang conv and rode off into the sunset a happy camper. Some angst getting used to it but in the end all worked out. Good luck to you and your Spyder. Post early post often and post pictures Spearfish Canyon Deadwood 3 Wheeler Rally104_0060.jpg

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Going from goldwing to a RT 3 years ago and my only regret was not doing it sooner. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

How many times did you have to put your feet down

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    How many times did you have to put your feet down
    Have you found the kickstand? Can’t find mine.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like others, I spend the last 40 years or so on 2 wheels. I've owned everything from standards to cruisers to tourers (including a few GWs). My last 2 wheeler was a '14 Kawasaki Nomad. I finally realized, in the back of my mind, I was wary of low siding. I never rode very hard in the rain and slowed down in most curves. I bought my 1st Spyder (a new 2018 RTL) in February of this year and loved it immediately. The only thing I didn't like was the legroom (or lack of it) so I traded it about a month ago for a 2021 RT (base).

The 1st few curves on the RT, I slowed down as I was used to doing. Now, I speed up when I see a curve. I've had more fun riding in the past 9 months than I've probably ever had in my life. I should have bought a Spyder years ago.

Read this: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners . They say it takes 1000 miles to get used to a Spyder. I say that may be true if you've never ridden anything. If you're coming from a 2 wheeler (as most of us have), you have to unlearn a LOT. I'd say you really don't get comfortable on a Spyder until you've put closer to 2000-2500 miles on it.

HAGO!